Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > Logistics of carrying

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-19-2012, 07:58 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 22 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Default Logistics of carrying

I'm taking my CCW class in the next month, but have a few practical-use/logistics questions that have been gnawing at me lately.

Is a shoulder holster only ever useful when wearing an open-fronted garment? I wear a lot of hockey jerseys and hooded sweatshirts, being from the frozen north. These are large enough on my frame to cover and conceal a shoulder rig, but will I actually be able to reach my handgun? Vertical carry is probably right out, but how about horizontal or tilt carries? I'm not averse to IWB carry, but shoulder rigs feel like they're more out of the way.
I'm already decided against pocket carry. I'm the type that likes to shove his hands in his pockets all the time, and don't want a handgun in there. I'd rather not have the fidget-factor available.

How do folks carry with young kids? My son is less than a year old, and I carry him in my left arm all the time. Is the carrying of a toddler in the same arm under which you have a handgun holstered (in a shoulder rig) a recipe for instant disaster? He's in a car set, stroller, or shopping cart seat when we're out-and-about, but the transition from one to another is what concerns me.

Thanks for any insight you can provide. I'm plenty familiar with hunting and military firearms, but personal concealed carry as a civilian is a horse of a different color for me.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-19-2012, 08:07 PM   #2

Liked 22 Times on 10 Posts

Can't really help you with shoulder rigs. However, I do play Mr. Mom most everyday, as do I carry. I tote my son around on my left side while I carry IWB on my 3:00. Every now and then I'll have to put him right hip. My firearm always stays concealed and secure in my holster. So while I don't prefer it, I, and you if you're comfortable enough, can get by. You'll come to find that your child will be in a cart or stroller most of the time. And really, carrying will become second nature and it'll feel odd not to have your firearm.

Last edited by RecklessRegard; 09-19-2012 at 08:16 PM.

Old 09-19-2012, 08:17 PM   #3

Liked 360 Times on 224 Posts
Likes Given: 167

I wouldn't shoulder carry with a hoodie or jersey, the only time I would is with a zip down jacket or maybe a button up one. In the winter I usually carry OWB and all other times it's usually IWB SOB. It is different with everyone, I would say try a few different carries and practice drawing on the range and see how effective you carry option is. You may go through several holsters before you actually find what works. On the kid note, I carry all the time around my daughter. She knows daddy doesn't leave the house without the gun and sometimes she has reminded me that I didn't put my gun on

"Regardless of whether justified of not, you will feel sad about killing another human being. It is better to be sad than to be room temperature." - Joe B Fricks.

Member:
01 FFL, GOFFA, NRA, GOA, IAVA, VFW, ABATE of Iowa D15.

Old 09-19-2012, 09:10 PM   #4
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2753 Times on 1596 Posts
Likes Given: 1203

IMO, having one setup for CC is like having one set of shoes that you rely on for all occasions.

Not living your life style, I would not know what works for you. For me, I have different setups that (I hope) will work for what I have planned.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

silverado113 Likes This 
Old 09-19-2012, 09:21 PM   #5

Liked 285 Times on 247 Posts

I tried shoulder harness setup, annoyingly bulky and uncomfortable. Great for easy access, if wearing jacket, otherwise I now only use for open carry to and from shooting fun.

It could work with something pullover, but would you really want to risk catching the sights or hammer on material and not getting out in time? Or what about premature trigger pull do to fumbling with the folds in your shirt? I highly advise against it brah.

Waist carry is okay, uncomfortable when seated, but doable. Small of back about the same. I prefer pocket carry, holstered or not is up to you, but it depends on many factors whether its intelligent or ignorant to not.

Old 09-19-2012, 09:23 PM   #6

Liked 1957 Times on 1030 Posts
Likes Given: 4286

I can GUARANTEE you, you'll end up with 5 holsters for every gun you have trying to find what works best for you, I have enough left over to see me through the rapture.

IWB works best for me. Pocket carry isn't all bad, as long as your holster covers the trigger you'll be fine.

Not a fan of the shoulder rig except for range days but as long as it's secured properly, there shouldn't be a problem...Quickly accessing it may be a bit difficult.

IMHO the IWB is the way to go, not only do you have the holster to cover the trigger but your pants as well...

Proud Supporter of USA Shooting
CA357 Likes This 
Old 09-19-2012, 10:22 PM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 47 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 72

I carried with a shoulder rig when I was wearing suits everyday, but since then it has been IWB ,either SOB ,or for the last few years ,at 4 O'Clock with a DeSantis Tuck This(The most comfortable,and concealable holster I have ever tried.)

Old 09-19-2012, 11:21 PM   #8

Liked 201 Times on 138 Posts

I will sometimes use a shoulder rig (horizontal carry) in the winter time but I just can't bring myself to do it in the summer time as it gets very hot here in Indiana. Mine is a cheaper brand, not utg but I don't recall the brand and it is actually pretty comfortable. It holds the pistol horizontally under the left ARM with a mag on top of the pistol in a pouch and two more mags under the right arm to even out the weight.

Carrying my kids doesn't effect me carrying my pistol just gotta make sure they keep thier hands off.

Century Arms AR-15A2, 5.56
1946 Mosin-Nagant M44, 7.62x54R
1978 YUGO SKS, 7.62x39
NEF Protector Pump, 12 gauge
Savage Model 64, .22LR
NEF Pardner Tracker II, 12 gauge
Rock Island Armory 1911A1, .45 ACP
Remington 870 'Express Magnum' 12 gauge
Bersa Thunder .380

Old 09-20-2012, 01:03 AM   #9
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8606 Times on 3731 Posts
Likes Given: 1323

I used a vertical- right side up- shoulder rig when wearing coat and tie. I have used an inverted shoulder rig (muzzle up, butt down) with a hammerless auto when working in a sweatshirt.

Baggy enough that I could go under and draw- no hammer or sights to snag. Not the ideal, but when you are taking the Governor's kid to a football game, and trying to look like everyone around you....

<--- Your Moderators at our weekly Troll Hunt

Old 09-20-2012, 03:48 AM   #10

The idea of carrying in a horizontal shoulder rig has always been uncomfortable to me. Not physically, though.

I'm always telling my students to be cautious of where the muzzle of their carry piece is pointed, even when holstered. Some people think I'm being ridiculous.

"Never point your gun at something you aren't willing to kill or destroy."

I can't imagine how many people one is likely to muzzle when using a horizontal shoulder rig.