Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > A little discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-09-2013, 02:43 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2175 Times on 1468 Posts
Likes Given: 1191

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip286 View Post
Well Hoss, what did you do to become experienced?
Shot the snot out of every gun i got my hands on-
Don't think anyone shud have let me carry one around after the first few shots tho
Thing is experience takes time- can't buy it, rent it, borrow it or be gifted it--
Course everyone has a different level that they become "qualified" to do a certain thing i reckon -
Only took me about 50 years

Texan By Birth & Choice
USMC/VIET NAM VET

Last edited by HOSSFLY; 02-09-2013 at 03:12 PM.

Old 02-09-2013, 04:09 PM   #12

Liked 9193 Times on 5052 Posts
Likes Given: 74

There ya have it
Classes are a great idea, and they teach you basically not to be an idiot, but there is no substitute for experience.

When classes are legislated... When will they start legislating experience? And if they do that... How the hell will one get experience?

Old 02-11-2013, 04:35 PM   #13
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 100 Times on 83 Posts
Likes Given: 42

It's an interesting subject no doubt. How do you determine if someone needs the class or not? There isn't really a simple answer. I grew up around guns. I fully understand the capabilities of the weapon, intentional and not. Given that currently, millions of uneducated folks are buying up weapons and ammo, I see two avenues there. 1 is that the country is armed in preparation for anything bad that could happen and need us to rise up. The second is, there are a buncha gun totin fools that don't know the first dam thing about what they bought.

Yes, I can see it violating 2A to make you take a class. At the same time, I've seen those morons on the range and I'm more comfortable with my 11 year old shooting than those fools. So, yes, I think they should have a class. Kinda like they did hunters safety education and required it before you could get a hunting license. There was a cutoff point, in 1979 I believe it was. Born before, no need. Born after, required. And it should be a full day. You can't teach someone firearm basics in an hour. A full days class could at least get some of the more important points across. Create the same kinda guideline as they did for hunting. If you are 21 by today, then so be it. If you are 21 tomorrow, then your ass is in a class. It doesn't save us from all those who are already over the age, but it at least starts somewhere.

A good plan executed today is better than a perfect plan executed at some indefinite point in the future.
- General George Patton Jr

Old 02-11-2013, 05:55 PM   #14

Liked 1956 Times on 1030 Posts
Likes Given: 4283

Yes, a mandatory class IS an infringement...but...

I can totally understand the concerns involved when it comes to carrying in public or shooting at a public range. There's a lot more to it than just knowing how to use your firearm.

Proud Supporter of USA Shooting

Old 02-13-2013, 02:05 PM   #15
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1563 Times on 932 Posts
Likes Given: 778

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSGSF View Post
A co worker and I had a discussion on the the way to work to day about CHL. Because I read on another thread here about some new proposed law here in Texas.
Here is a little back ground info on this guy he is very pro Second amendment.
He believes that making a person pay and sit in a class for 10 hr is against your second amendment right . Because they are infrining on our right. I said no the state just wants you to be trained and safe. And to make sure your not a crimanl.
What do you all think about this.
Your friend is right! How much 'training' is required to exercise any of the 'other' rights listed in the Bill of Rights????

An armed society is not always a polite society, but it is a free and safe society!
Self Defense is an absolute and natural right!
Keep your head down and your powder dry!

Old 02-13-2013, 02:19 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRau View Post
Your friend is right! How much 'training' is required to exercise any of the 'other' rights listed in the Bill of Rights????
Really?
Hell, I had to be trained to write & spell before i could exercise part of the 1st amendment - I sure hope my lawyer is well trained if he has to defend my 6th amendment rights- I could go on but any reasonable person should agree some training is needed to do most anything in a "proper" manner----Bill Of Rights or not---

Texan By Birth & Choice
USMC/VIET NAM VET

People Like This 
Old 02-13-2013, 02:27 PM   #17

Liked 80 Times on 45 Posts
Likes Given: 32

I don't think it should be mandatory or used as a means to generate revenue for the state. It takes just a few minutes to show someone the safety features of the gun they just purchased. Then tell them that if they're not careful they will probably accidentally blow their a$$ off. Then they can make the decision to take a course that will further show them how to safely use their weapon.

Old 02-13-2013, 02:34 PM   #18

Liked 14 Times on 11 Posts

In ky the class has a little safety in it but it is more geared towards the legal aspect to being a CCDW holder like when you can or can't shoot where and other what not like that. Ky is also a shall issue state so I did not feel that my rights were infringed by having to take the course.

Old 02-13-2013, 02:39 PM   #19
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2426 Times on 1426 Posts
Likes Given: 1350

Required? No! Fast-tracked to a CCW license? Yes! HAD to take hunter safety when I was 15 y.o. (1974), loved it! Why not offer to take newbs out & school 'em just like we do w/ young/new hunters? Passing on our wisdom is only our responsibility if we care about our future! Think about it!!

Old 02-13-2013, 02:41 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicklarimore View Post
In ky the class has a little safety in it but it is more geared towards the legal aspect to being a CCDW holder like when you can or can't shoot where and other what not like that. Ky is also a shall issue state so I did not feel that my rights were infringed by having to take the course.
I think a lot of states do the same- Get trained to USE the gun - If you ever do HAVE to i doubt many will be worried about the legal crap

Texan By Birth & Choice
USMC/VIET NAM VET