A little discussion
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > A little discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-09-2013, 02:58 AM   #1
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 518 Times on 316 Posts

Default A little discussion

A co worker and I had a discussion on the the way to work to day about CHL. Because I read on another thread here about some new proposed law here in Texas.
Here is a little back ground info on this guy he is very pro Second amendment.
He believes that making a person pay and sit in a class for 10 hr is against your second amendment right . Because they are infrining on our right. I said no the state just wants you to be trained and safe. And to make sure your not a crimanl.
What do you all think about this.

"Don't call me Sir, I work for a living"

"I'm an A**hole"

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-09-2013, 03:02 AM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

You're both right.

Hope this helps.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams
People Like This 
Old 02-09-2013, 03:33 AM   #3

Liked 290 Times on 251 Posts

I think a 10 hour class is the most absurd thing ever. Way overthetop, just like everything extremists do, libtards and conservatives alike.

Old 02-09-2013, 03:44 AM   #4

Liked 9204 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Nope. I'm not a real firm believer in classes and waiting periods. I think they're great idea, and everyone should do it, but I don't think it should be a requirement. It IS an infringement if it's required.

I DO very firmly believe in harsher punishments for crimes committed and general dumbassery that results in injury or death.

"common sense" gun control (which is what you're suggesting) is all about control, and the "common sense" part is never the goal, nor usually even in the equation.

Now, killing murderers via hanging, the chair, or even lethal injection, plus those who kill accidentally through gross negligence, will do several things: take criminals off the streets-for good. And encourage know-nothings to become learn-somethings, in order to not become a death row statistic. This also applies to reckless/drunk driving, and pretty much any other death resulting from negligence.

Old 02-09-2013, 03:59 AM   #5
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 6563 Times on 3635 Posts
Likes Given: 27929

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSGSF View Post
A co worker and I had a discussion on the the way to work to day about CHL. Because I read on another thread here about some new proposed law here in Texas.
Here is a little back ground info on this guy he is very pro Second amendment.
He believes that making a person pay and sit in a class for 10 hr is against your second amendment right . Because they are infrining on our right. I said no the state just wants you to be trained and safe. And to make sure your not a crimanl.
What do you all think about this.
There's a bill that will change the required hours from 10 hours, to 4-6 hours if it passes. Hopefully it does.

I'm with trip on the "should it be required" thing. You should go to the class, but it shouldn't be a requirement.

Old 02-09-2013, 04:08 AM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

I think a handgun safety class is important. Having it as a requirement, does infringe on 2A. But getting shot by an ND would upset me greatly.

I realize that a law abiding person should be able to just walk into a store buy a gun and put it in his pocket. That's how it used to be. Times are different and I don't really know what's right anymore. Maybe I'm brainwashed.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Last edited by CA357; 02-09-2013 at 06:12 AM.
People Like This 
Old 02-09-2013, 04:20 AM   #7

Liked 1859 Times on 1041 Posts
Likes Given: 1231

I believe there should be a class required for ccw. If I am stupid and shoot myself in my garage that is my problem. If I am stupid and shoot you by mistake at the mall...well that is another matter isn't it? I think a simple safety class should be sufficient.

Romans 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.

People Like This 
Old 02-09-2013, 04:28 AM   #8
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 518 Times on 316 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by texaswoodworker

There's a bill that will change the required hours from 10 hours, to 4-6 hours if it passes. Hopefully it does.

I'm with trip on the "should it be required" thing. You should go to the class, but it shouldn't be a requirement.
That is what got us talking about this. And their is another bill that says if you have a CHL you could then open carry.

"Don't call me Sir, I work for a living"

"I'm an A**hole"

Old 02-09-2013, 02:35 PM   #9

Liked 2181 Times on 1472 Posts
Likes Given: 1191

Quote:
Originally Posted by texaswoodworker View Post

I'm against a class of any length for the experienced ( there should of course be a "test" of some sort) BUT I think the class is not long enuff for the inexperienced -- It honestly worries me about how many now carry guns who just don't know near enuff about them --
How can that be solved? I don't know--

Texan By Birth & Choice
USMC/VIET NAM VET

Old 02-09-2013, 02:37 PM   #10

Liked 9204 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Well Hoss, what did you do to become experienced?