Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f17/)
-   -   A little discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f17/little-discussion-83792/)

SSGSF 02-09-2013 02:58 AM

A little discussion

A co worker and I had a discussion on the the way to work to day about CHL. Because I read on another thread here about some new proposed law here in Texas.
Here is a little back ground info on this guy he is very pro Second amendment.
He believes that making a person pay and sit in a class for 10 hr is against your second amendment right . Because they are infrining on our right. I said no the state just wants you to be trained and safe. And to make sure your not a crimanl.
What do you all think about this.

CA357 02-09-2013 03:02 AM

You're both right.

Hope this helps. ;)

BeyondTheBox 02-09-2013 03:33 AM

I think a 10 hour class is the most absurd thing ever. Way overthetop, just like everything extremists do, libtards and conservatives alike.

trip286 02-09-2013 03:44 AM

Nope. I'm not a real firm believer in classes and waiting periods. I think they're great idea, and everyone should do it, but I don't think it should be a requirement. It IS an infringement if it's required.

I DO very firmly believe in harsher punishments for crimes committed and general dumbassery that results in injury or death.

"common sense" gun control (which is what you're suggesting) is all about control, and the "common sense" part is never the goal, nor usually even in the equation.

Now, killing murderers via hanging, the chair, or even lethal injection, plus those who kill accidentally through gross negligence, will do several things: take criminals off the streets-for good. And encourage know-nothings to become learn-somethings, in order to not become a death row statistic. This also applies to reckless/drunk driving, and pretty much any other death resulting from negligence.

texaswoodworker 02-09-2013 03:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SSGSF (Post 1130313)
A co worker and I had a discussion on the the way to work to day about CHL. Because I read on another thread here about some new proposed law here in Texas.
Here is a little back ground info on this guy he is very pro Second amendment.
He believes that making a person pay and sit in a class for 10 hr is against your second amendment right . Because they are infrining on our right. I said no the state just wants you to be trained and safe. And to make sure your not a crimanl.
What do you all think about this.

There's a bill that will change the required hours from 10 hours, to 4-6 hours if it passes. Hopefully it does.

I'm with trip on the "should it be required" thing. You should go to the class, but it shouldn't be a requirement.

CA357 02-09-2013 04:08 AM

I think a handgun safety class is important. Having it as a requirement, does infringe on 2A. But getting shot by an ND would upset me greatly.

I realize that a law abiding person should be able to just walk into a store buy a gun and put it in his pocket. That's how it used to be. Times are different and I don't really know what's right anymore. Maybe I'm brainwashed.

Rick1967 02-09-2013 04:20 AM

I believe there should be a class required for ccw. If I am stupid and shoot myself in my garage that is my problem. If I am stupid and shoot you by mistake at the mall...well that is another matter isn't it? I think a simple safety class should be sufficient.

SSGSF 02-09-2013 04:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by texaswoodworker

There's a bill that will change the required hours from 10 hours, to 4-6 hours if it passes. Hopefully it does.

I'm with trip on the "should it be required" thing. You should go to the class, but it shouldn't be a requirement.

That is what got us talking about this. And their is another bill that says if you have a CHL you could then open carry.

HOSSFLY 02-09-2013 02:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by texaswoodworker (Post 1130387)

I'm against a class of any length for the experienced ( there should of course be a "test" of some sort) BUT I think the class is not long enuff for the inexperienced -- It honestly worries me about how many now carry guns who just don't know near enuff about them --
How can that be solved? I don't know--

trip286 02-09-2013 02:37 PM

Well Hoss, what did you do to become experienced?