A license is required for the following reason:

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > A license is required for the following reason:

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-27-2011, 07:39 PM   #1
+ TRES VERBO DICTUM +
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1692 Times on 877 Posts
Likes Given: 1326

Default A license is required for the following reason:

I live in the Adirondacks and I’m applying for a NYS Concealed Carry permit. I’m told my county has a judge who doesn’t mind issuing them, provided one isn’t a maniac or something.

What do I write for, “A license is required for the following reason:” in order to receive the most unrestricted flavor?

The search only provided one thread, and in the one post that mentioned it, the phrasing of choice was, "To provide a means of personal defense.".

So, I thought I’d ask again before I commit ink to paper.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-27-2011, 08:38 PM   #2

Liked 46 Times on 28 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincine View Post
I live in the Adirondacks and I’m applying for a NYS Concealed Carry permit. I’m told my county has a judge who doesn’t mind issuing them, provided one isn’t a maniac or something.

What do I write for, “A license is required for the following reason:” in order to receive the most unrestricted flavor?

The search only provided one thread, and in the one post that mentioned it, the phrasing of choice was, "To provide a means of personal defense.".

So, I thought I’d ask again before I commit ink to paper.
For all lawful purposes.

Old 06-27-2011, 09:34 PM   #3

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I live in Upstate NY and the best reason is "hunting and target". Every County is different but the CCW should go through fine/fast with this reason assuming no felonies.

OC

"magbum"

Last edited by OC357; 06-27-2011 at 09:37 PM.

Old 06-27-2011, 10:22 PM   #4

I would say "for personal protection."
Other reasons may be:
I carry a large amount of cash _not a good idea
To protect my family and I
To self protect without causing a scene with OC.

The best I think is for self defense. That is what our state laws states. But I believe that Colorado is a "shall issue" state.

Old 06-28-2011, 03:25 AM   #5

When I read these type threads, concerning gun laws up north, NY, MA and NJ and out in California, It makes me wonder what all of the people who live in these areas think of us in places like Arizona when they come in for the winter or just to visit.
The thought of going any where outside my home without a loaded firearm is crazy to me.
Being made a state mandated victim is nuts.
I just don't understand how people have stood for this BS for this long without a hard effort to change their political systems in these places.
I guess 51% of the voters just like it the way it is in these places, but I don't understand it.
Good luck yankees
If you tire of the BS up there, we got a lot of room and no stupid gun laws out in AZ.

You may find me dead in a ditch one day, but I will be up to my waist in spent rifle brass!

Old 06-28-2011, 11:36 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by OC357 View Post
I live in Upstate NY and the best reason is "hunting and target". Every County is different but the CCW should go through fine/fast with this reason assuming no felonies.

OC
With all due respect, I also lived in NY for quite a while and if you do that there is a really good chance that the local issuing authority will hand you a restricted carry license. It will actually say for hunting and target. Enough folks do that and at some point or another NY will decide to have a second class of license for "hunting and target" and guess where you'll be stuck.

Yeah I know all the common answers to that. Just tell the cop that you were coming/going to the range etc. The fact is that if you get a pemit and you are knowingly violating the restrictions placed on it (which by the way the statutes in NY say the Local Issuing Authority CAN do) you are inviting permanent revocation. Anyone really want to take that chance? If you put down for all lawfull purposes, that mean ALL purposes. If the Issuing authority wants to clarify this he/she can call you in and ask you to explain. If after they talk to you they still want to put restrictions on the license then you still have a chance to ask them to take them off after a while (I went from "carrying while doing business" to "unrestricted" in a year after I wrote the judge asking for the change). Why START the process with restrictions placed on your CCW license by yourself?

Last edited by Wambli; 06-28-2011 at 11:43 AM.

Old 06-28-2011, 11:39 AM   #7

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts

"All lawful purposes" worked just fine for me in Commiechusetts.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

Old 06-28-2011, 11:47 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowhand View Post
When I read these type threads, concerning gun laws up north, NY, MA and NJ and out in California, It makes me wonder what all of the people who live in these areas think of us in places like Arizona when they come in for the winter or just to visit.
The thought of going any where outside my home without a loaded firearm is crazy to me.
I just don't understand how people have stood for this BS for this long without a hard effort to change their political systems in these places.
I guess 51% of the voters just like it the way it is in these places, but I don't understand it.
Good luck yankees
If you tire of the BS up there, we got a lot of room and no stupid gun laws out in AZ.
Actually it is really just obnoxious in New York City and the counties close to it. The rest of New York is a beautiful place and for the most part once you get to Orange/Putnam Counties and North, getting a CC License is not that hard and the only thing that is a PIA is having to get EVERY handgun you own listed on your permit.

But I agree, AZ, Florida, Texas and many other places are the ultimate gun lover heaven!!!

Old 07-04-2011, 06:41 PM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 20 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 52

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowhand View Post
Good luck yankees
Have to second the invite to come to Az yellowhand. I lived back east for about 5yrs and loved the area but not all the restrictions on what and when you can carry.