Let us talk about SELF DEFENSE for a moment - Page 10
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > Let us talk about SELF DEFENSE for a moment

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-30-2011, 09:49 PM   #91
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Fortunately we are working closely with LEO's who are well aware of the situation. So if SHTF I may be in the clear... As far as getting arrested and keeping my firearms goes

Edit: all of this is new to me, I just love guns. The self defense thing is just an added perk that I may need one day. I am too young to carry concealed in my state, and until now am getting to know the laws. I just know that when dealing with death threats I am not going to wait for LEO to arrive if the situation ever occurred. Even if I wasn't in a state of threat, having a firearm ready is a great insurance card. But also a liability in some cases, which I am finding out

Last edited by comeback_kid; 12-30-2011 at 10:01 PM.

Old 12-31-2011, 12:35 AM   #92

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I've stated this already , and how you handle it is your business but if I'm unfortunate enough for this to happen but fortunate enough to see him first I'm gonna consider that a gift from god for my family and well.......do what I have to ,to keep them safe . There are to many variables and the stakes are to high for me to not take every advantage possible. Y'all ever see The Outlaw Jose Wales? "If your gonna talk , talk . If your gonna shoot , shoot. I'm know gunslinger before the comparisons and legal criticism starts but, I would tend to believe a man was more in fear of his life if he shot than if he had the composure to try and defuse the situation through verbal commands. Just my $.02

Old 12-31-2011, 12:42 AM   #93

Likes Given: 2

Comeback Kid,

You would be doing yourself a great favor if, before you even thought about a gun for defense, you read and internalized Massad Ayoob's, "In The Gravest Extreme".

It's dated but gives one a great foundation to build upon and if you get the chance to take one of his courses, do it. It will be the best money you ever spent if you are the subject of an investigation r/t the use of force or a trial.

Biker

Old 12-31-2011, 05:00 AM   #94

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BikerRN View Post
Comeback Kid,

You would be doing yourself a great favor if, before you even thought about a gun for defense, you read and internalized Massad Ayoob's, "In The Gravest Extreme".

It's dated but gives one a great foundation to build upon and if you get the chance to take one of his courses, do it. It will be the best money you ever spent if you are the subject of an investigation r/t the use of force or a trial.

Biker
I enjoy a good read and will check this book out. Knowledge is power... but until then my 1911 will still be staying ready for defensive action... it would be unfortunate for the situation to arise but I would rather have the option to reach for my gun if I so needed it. No small children in the house, and I won't be leaving it loaded unless I am around to be aware of it. When children come over or when I am out and about I will keep it cleared and in a safe/secure location. My parents are aware that it is loaded and they keep a few loaded firearms themselves. I ain't one to go looking for a fight, especially if I was carrying- but in the instance where someone breaks into my home when my family and I are currently under threat of death- they are asking for it. If I break any laws then that's unfortunate. But not nearly as unfortunate as me ending up like the last person in my situation- shot multiple times and left for dead.

But yeah, I will look into that book. I have a lot to learn before I start carrying (I've got some years to learn before I turn 21). Let's put it this way- it most likely isn't going to happen. Ever. But if for some odd reason it does- I would hope to God I had my gun loaded and ready for action. I would hate for the situation to arise where I needed my gun as fast as possible and it not be loaded and ready. I might be an amateur I might not know all the laws and all the tricks. But when SHTF I ain't gonna sit around and suck my thumb, not when I own multiple guns. That's like owning (to reference someone I read on this site- I don't know the name but they said something along the lines of this) It's like owning multiple fire extinguishers but not using them when your house catches on fire.

Sorry to go off topic from the original post- but yeah I agree with the OP- it ain't self defense to shoot someone for the reasons mentioned. And if people are going to react in that way, they shouldn't be carrying firearms, IMO.

Old 12-31-2011, 04:18 PM   #95
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1274 Times on 736 Posts
Likes Given: 1937

Comeback_kid: The main thing here is to use good sense. If an unarmed young kid has broken in and is raiding the refrigerator, it makes no sense to shoot. But if a guy over 16 or so who is evidently strong enough to be a threat to your safety and/or your family's safety, or a group of thugs breaks into your home (or place of business) you have every right to defend yourself. In South Carolina, seldom is anybody ever arrested for shooting to defend their home. Only if the LE finds something wrong in the home, like illegal drugs, stolen property, etc, will the shooter be arrested, and then it will be for the contraband, not the shooting.

Old 12-31-2011, 04:52 PM   #96

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Thanks, yea I gotcha

Old 01-02-2012, 04:58 AM   #97

I think the same in Florida.

Old 01-05-2012, 01:15 PM   #98
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Here is an article about a young lady in Oklahoma who defended her baby and herself from a home invasion... U.S. News - No charges for teen widow who killed intruder

Old 01-05-2012, 06:50 PM   #99

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AIKIJUTSU View Post
Here is an article about a young lady in Oklahoma who defended her baby and herself from a home invasion... U.S. News - No charges for teen widow who killed intruder
Interesting story. Especially the part that says she's 18 years old, and widowed of a 58 year old. Love is a peculiar thing...

but regarding the actual incident; good for her. She called 911 and acted to preserve her life and her baby's. Can't say I would have done it differently if I were in that situation, and given the story it is only fair for her to not be facing any charges. Good to know we have the right to defend ourselves here in the U.S... at least in Oklahoma. I don't know if you could get away with that in some other states.

Old 01-05-2012, 07:38 PM   #100
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by comeback_kid View Post
Interesting story. Especially the part that says she's 18 years old, and widowed of a 58 year old. Love is a peculiar thing...

but regarding the actual incident; good for her. She called 911 and acted to preserve her life and her baby's. Can't say I would have done it differently if I were in that situation, and given the story it is only fair for her to not be facing any charges. Good to know we have the right to defend ourselves here in the U.S... at least in Oklahoma. I don't know if you could get away with that in some other states.
I think it is pretty much the same in South Carolina. Your ace in the hole would be to have the 911 dispatcher hear it as it happens.