Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > Less Lethal, but still with a serious punch??

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-01-2011, 05:55 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 26 Times on 21 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
Defending yourself at home with whatever is at hand is one thing, carrying insect poison in a purse with intent to use on another is a defense nightmare.
Jon...you worry to much.

Wasps and hornets are everywhere and some people are very allergic to their painful stings, and they can be lethal. Besides, it's only a temporary OTC defense solution that can be disposed of before the return home.

We are talking about a woman defending herself from a possible brutal attack here. The only nightmare in this situation will belong to the one on the receiving end of that spray.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter." - Hemingway

“The greatest ignorance is to reject something you know nothing about.”

Old 02-01-2011, 11:52 AM   #12

Liked 83 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Couldn't she just buy a can of pepper spray when she touches down? I don't know of a better option that she can check or take with her.

If the pain is lacking so is the discipline...

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer

Old 02-01-2011, 12:54 PM   #13

Liked 4454 Times on 2352 Posts
Likes Given: 255

Quote:
Originally Posted by IGETEVEN View Post
Jon...you worry to much.

Wasps and hornets are everywhere and some people are very allergic to their painful stings, and they can be lethal. Besides, it's only a temporary OTC defense solution that can be disposed of before the return home.

We are talking about a woman defending herself from a possible brutal attack here. The only nightmare in this situation will belong to the one on the receiving end of that spray.
Sorry accidentally hit thumb down trying to do quote. My touch screen made me miss. Anyway your prolly right. I do wory too much heh.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 02-01-2011, 02:15 PM   #14
JTJ

Liked 1245 Times on 703 Posts
Likes Given: 439

Airline rules mess up everything. Alternative weapons. A long time ago women wore hats and very large hat pins. The pins were not just meant to keep the hat on. I have also seen ladies wear what looks like very fancy chopsticks in a hair bun. Again not just for decoration. My mother had an umbrella with a very fancy carved ivory handle. When the handle was pulled off there was a knife blade attached to it. I have seen other umbrellas that were designed to be defensive weapons. Canes and walking sticks can be formidable weapons with some good training. Cane swords are usually illegal because of length and concealment. Can a knife be carried in checked baggage? Something like a CKRT Bearclaw. Very nasty little fighting knife. Gets around most blade length requirements. Otherwise look into picking up something disposable after she lands. Lots of cheap knives around. There is a very small pepper spray can that is pretty nasty. It is called Whoop Ass if you can find it and comes in a small holster. I keep one on my bicycle. The sprays are one use only so it does not need to be big. Lots of other alternatives out there.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
If things get better with age, I am approaching magnificent.
You are either pro gun or pro crime.

Old 02-01-2011, 02:33 PM   #15

Liked 25 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post
Hate to bring this up, but she cannot travel by air with any sort of defense spray- not on person, not in carry on, and not in checked baggage.
Checked baggage too?!?!?!? I obviously understand carry on and not on person but what is the rational in not allowing in the checked?

For my wife, I prefer the pepper spray with tear gas and UV dye.

Albert Einstein "The important thing is not to stop questioning"

Old 02-01-2011, 02:42 PM   #16

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3471 Times on 1606 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Actaully the Kimber Life Act has been packed in her bag, for every trip we have made, for the past three years. Cruise ships, Mexico, the Caymans and within the US. Never had an issue with it being in the checked baggage and several bags have had "inspection notification" tags on them when we have retrieved them.

In any event, back to the question at hand:

This would have to be a purse item and something light, but with chemical impact from a good distance (5 to 7 yards preferred).

Bear spray and wasp spray at excellent choices, but come in large, matel cans that aren't exactly going to be convienent to retrieve stealthly from said purse should situational awareness spike.

Plus she is going to Chicago, a city KNOWN for their love the citizen to be able to protect one's self in time of need. *heavy sarcastic tone here*

I am just wondering if there is a new product that someone has heard of or if my boys and girls in blue have any input.

Thanks for the responses, the hunt continues....

JD

Old 02-01-2011, 02:48 PM   #17

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post
Hate to bring this up, but she cannot travel by air with any sort of defense spray- not on person, not in carry on, and not in checked baggage.
You can travel with pepper spray and stun guns. They have to be in your checked bags though. Pepper spray has to be less than 4oz, have less than 2% tear gas, and have a locking mechanism to prevent accidental discharge.

TSA Prohibited Items

May I suggest something by Fox Labs.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

Old 02-01-2011, 02:51 PM   #18

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3471 Times on 1606 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnthmn2004 View Post
You can travel with pepper spray and stun guns. They have to be in your checked bags though. Pepper spray has to be less than 4oz, have less than 2% tear gas, and have a locking mechanism to prevent accidental discharge.

TSA Prohibited Items

May I suggest something by Fox Labs.
My Ninja!!

Have you used it or seen it used? Any first hand experience with it?

Old 02-01-2011, 03:02 PM   #19

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

I would go with the taser and pepperspray. Spray first, then taze. Mainly, she needs to be taught basic safety awareness.

Old 02-01-2011, 03:02 PM   #20

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts

Anything by Fox Labs is ridiculous - highly recommended. Sabre has more options for civilians, but a lot of their stuff is mixed with tear gas. Generally, whichever you buy is going to have 2 million Scoville Heat Units. Some also come with UV liquid which is very hard for the assailant to remove, thus making it really easy for police to identify the suspect.
I personally throw one of these in my pocket where ever I go. Its pretty badass, but the main reason I buy it is because my local gun store carries them in bulk.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!