Less Lethal, but still with a serious punch??
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > Less Lethal, but still with a serious punch??

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-01-2011, 03:04 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3479 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Default Less Lethal, but still with a serious punch??

JD has a bit of a problem, and in this area I have limited knowledge, because I don't believe in "less lethal" responses'. Sorry.

Not politically correct I know, and I apologize, but this is the reason for this thread.

Household Six got a new job. This one involves travel. At the end of the month she is to travel to Chicago and spend a week, or so, in the Windy City.

Now I have no delusions that she won't be staying in a good area, she is traveling with the CEO of the company, but I still worry about her in areas where she can't carry.

She has a Kimber Life Act. We actually bought two and had her test one on a target at the range so she knows what to expect.

Recently Kimber introduced the PepperBlaster II, which is a modified version of the Life Act.

I am wondering from my friends here in Law Enforcement, Self Defense, Border ( Scubie / Glass ) is there a better product out there that a civilian can purchase?

I don't want to go with anything that can not be purchased by a legal "citizen" of Washington state, so while I know my military guys will offer up something that isn't available to us lonely mopes yet and I thank them on bended knee, I am looking for OTC solutions.

Anyone??

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-01-2011, 03:13 AM   #2

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts

I know this doesn't help much but maybe some Tango in a can.

DON'T BUY DELL!!!!!

BEWARE!!! The toes you step on today may be connected to the ass you kiss tomorrow.

PM Tango about his upcoming SHARTFOO courses.

Old 02-01-2011, 03:23 AM   #3

Liked 2774 Times on 1249 Posts
Likes Given: 2663

I've heard hornet and wasp spray works very good but haven't tested that theory.

Old 02-01-2011, 03:46 AM   #4

Liked 127 Times on 96 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Bear spray with the dye.

I could make a list of a bunch of guns i have, or "have", or wish I had. Why would one feel compelled to provide that infornation freely? Do you feel the need to show off? Is it some immature game of oneupsmanship?

Why do you feel it necessary to list your guns?

Old 02-01-2011, 03:55 AM   #5

Liked 3737 Times on 1825 Posts
Likes Given: 13270

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjd3282 View Post
I've heard hornet and wasp spray works very good but haven't tested that theory.
I can attest that it is not an enjoyable experience (and no I was not deserving of it, it was an accident )

How's about a collapsible baton - Telescopic Steel Batons - Expandable 16, 21, 26 inch baton or some weighted gloves - SAP Gloves - Gloves with steel shot in the knuckles

I would recommend a taser/stun gun, even if it is illegal in the area. Better to have Household 6 alive than not.

Member: NRA GOA

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Est sularas oth mithas

"either way, you were guilty by association, so you were smited...." JD

Old 02-01-2011, 04:57 AM   #6
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 9553 Times on 4111 Posts
Likes Given: 1499

Hate to bring this up, but she cannot travel by air with any sort of defense spray- not on person, not in carry on, and not in checked baggage.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 02-01-2011, 05:29 AM   #7
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6017 Times on 3151 Posts
Likes Given: 431

oriented more towards escape and evade than combat. check luggage safe. its about 9 inches long and can easily fit in a purse.

might think about something like this:

SureFire M3LT-S CombatLight®

Quote:
Strobe Warning
Exposure to strobing lights may cause dizziness, disorientation, and nausea. A very small percentage of people suffer from photosensitive epilepsy—approximately .00025% of the population—and may experience seizures or blackouts triggered by strobing lights. Visit Epilepsy Foundation-Epilepsy Foundation-trusted, reliable information for people with seizures, and their caregivers for more information about this rare form of epilepsy. Anyone who has had symptoms linked to this condition should consult a doctor before using this product.
unfortunately all non-lethal options pretty much suck. nothing will stop a determined attacker but multi layer your non lethal defenses might help. combine the light with some sort of personal extremely loud alarm device. might have a better chance to escape with good situational awareness. smoking and joking in a hostile zone is a good way to get caught by surprise.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Last edited by JonM; 02-01-2011 at 05:38 AM.

Old 02-01-2011, 05:50 AM   #8

Liked 27 Times on 21 Posts

Quote:
Indeed, it works surprisingly well and provides a painful distraction to allow E&E.

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post
Hate to bring this up, but she cannot travel by air with any sort of defense spray- not on person, not in carry on, and not in checked baggage.
It is very accessible. She could pick up a can of it after she touches ground, at most drug and grocery stores.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter." - Hemingway

“The greatest ignorance is to reject something you know nothing about.”

Old 02-01-2011, 06:05 AM   #9
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6017 Times on 3151 Posts
Likes Given: 431

Quote:
Defending yourself at home with whatever is at hand is one thing, carrying insect poison in a purse with intent to use on another is a defense nightmare. A lot of the common bug sprays are derivatives of nazi gas research. I wouldn't do it on purpose.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 02-01-2011, 06:32 AM   #10

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I know it's not a giant idea but I large tub sock full of batteries works pretty well.

"ever man out here has a timer, no one know how long it will take but no one last forever"
Sargent Miller

"cake or death! I'll have the cake then... SORRY WHERE OUT OF CAKE!... so it's or death? I'll have the chicken then please." Eddy Izzard

"so a suppose your going to kill me now? no he is I'm just here to watch"

"you know why guns are better then a woman?... you can put a silencer on a gun."