Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f17/)
-   -   Less Lethal, but still with a serious punch?? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f17/less-lethal-but-still-serious-punch-37731/)

Dillinger 02-01-2011 02:04 AM

Less Lethal, but still with a serious punch??

JD has a bit of a problem, and in this area I have limited knowledge, because I don't believe in "less lethal" responses'. Sorry.

Not politically correct I know, and I apologize, but this is the reason for this thread.

Household Six got a new job. This one involves travel. At the end of the month she is to travel to Chicago and spend a week, or so, in the Windy City.

Now I have no delusions that she won't be staying in a good area, she is traveling with the CEO of the company, but I still worry about her in areas where she can't carry.

She has a Kimber Life Act. We actually bought two and had her test one on a target at the range so she knows what to expect.

Recently Kimber introduced the PepperBlaster II, which is a modified version of the Life Act.

I am wondering from my friends here in Law Enforcement, Self Defense, Border ( Scubie / Glass ) is there a better product out there that a civilian can purchase?

I don't want to go with anything that can not be purchased by a legal "citizen" of Washington state, so while I know my military guys will offer up something that isn't available to us lonely mopes yet and I thank them on bended knee, I am looking for OTC solutions.

Anyone??

doctherock 02-01-2011 02:13 AM

I know this doesn't help much but maybe some Tango in a can.

rjd3282 02-01-2011 02:23 AM

I've heard hornet and wasp spray works very good but haven't tested that theory.

willfully armed 02-01-2011 02:46 AM

Bear spray with the dye.

dog2000tj 02-01-2011 02:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rjd3282 (Post 434125)
I've heard hornet and wasp spray works very good but haven't tested that theory.

I can attest that it is not an enjoyable experience (and no I was not deserving of it, it was an accident :o )

How's about a collapsible baton - Telescopic Steel Batons - Expandable 16, 21, 26 inch baton or some weighted gloves - SAP Gloves - Gloves with steel shot in the knuckles

I would recommend a taser/stun gun, even if it is illegal in the area. Better to have Household 6 alive than not. :cool:

c3shooter 02-01-2011 03:57 AM

Hate to bring this up, but she cannot travel by air with any sort of defense spray- not on person, not in carry on, and not in checked baggage.

JonM 02-01-2011 04:29 AM

oriented more towards escape and evade than combat. check luggage safe. its about 9 inches long and can easily fit in a purse.

might think about something like this:

http://www.surefire.com/surefire/con...5L11_large.png

SureFire M3LT-S CombatLightŪ

Quote:

Strobe Warning
Exposure to strobing lights may cause dizziness, disorientation, and nausea. A very small percentage of people suffer from photosensitive epilepsy—approximately .00025% of the population—and may experience seizures or blackouts triggered by strobing lights. Visit Epilepsy Foundation-Epilepsy Foundation-trusted, reliable information for people with seizures, and their caregivers for more information about this rare form of epilepsy. Anyone who has had symptoms linked to this condition should consult a doctor before using this product.
unfortunately all non-lethal options pretty much suck. nothing will stop a determined attacker but multi layer your non lethal defenses might help. combine the light with some sort of personal extremely loud alarm device. might have a better chance to escape with good situational awareness. smoking and joking in a hostile zone is a good way to get caught by surprise.

IGETEVEN 02-01-2011 04:50 AM

Quote:

Indeed, it works surprisingly well and provides a painful distraction to allow E&E.

Quote:

Originally Posted by c3shooter (Post 434206)
Hate to bring this up, but she cannot travel by air with any sort of defense spray- not on person, not in carry on, and not in checked baggage.

It is very accessible. She could pick up a can of it after she touches ground, at most drug and grocery stores.

JonM 02-01-2011 05:05 AM

Quote:

Defending yourself at home with whatever is at hand is one thing, carrying insect poison in a purse with intent to use on another is a defense nightmare. A lot of the common bug sprays are derivatives of nazi gas research. I wouldn't do it on purpose.

wmille01 02-01-2011 05:32 AM

I know it's not a giant idea but I large tub sock full of batteries works pretty well.