LEO encounter - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > LEO encounter

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-26-2010, 07:27 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I think its mostly a regional thing. In places where firearms and concealed carry are generally looked up negatively, like back east, the police are made up of people from those areas. As such, you have more police with a negative attitude towards concealed carry.

In states like mine, where most people have a positive view of firearms and self-defense carry, you end up with more officers who have a positive attitude towards gun owners.

Almost all of the officers I know have a positive view of concealed carry holders. Now that doesn't mean that we trust an armed citizen that we don't know, and that is because we don't know them. You might be the best citizen in the world, but if I don't know you then I don't trust you.

I don't make jokes, I just watch the government and report the facts. -Will Rogers

An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last. -Winston Churchill

Old 08-26-2010, 08:27 PM   #12

Liked 1616 Times on 944 Posts
Likes Given: 1894

When I lived in Ohio I used to get crap on a pretty regular basis. That has been a while back though so it might be different now. Most the LEO up there didn't like the idea of citizens having a weapon period. I was told several times if I wanted a gun join the police. Down here in Ky it's pretty different depending where you're at. In my neck of the woods it's uncommon to see someone that does not have a weapon in their vehicle, home, on their person. But this is a small town. A couple of the more liberal college towns are much different. Just 18 miles north in Berea (small college) even with a permit you will more often than not be stopped and questioned and you don't want to attempt open carry.

It's pretty odd to me. Most the people I know that carry practice/train much more than any LEO. I would think knowing you had trained people out there would be a good thing. Things are what they are I guess.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
Thomas Jefferson

Old 08-26-2010, 08:55 PM   #13
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5733 Times on 3359 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bighead View Post
Now that doesn't mean that we trust an armed citizen that we don't know, and that is because we don't know them. You might be the best citizen in the world, but if I don't know you then I don't trust you.
It's good to see that LEO's understand why someone wouldn't automatically trust them, just because of their badge, still don't know them.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 09-12-2010, 04:07 AM   #14

You guys are a little off base with your comments about New England. I used to live in the Northeast Kingdom of Vermont (a part of New England)and the RKBA is highly respected there, even by the local law enforcement folks. Believe it or not, Vermont is a live and let live state, people in the main mind their own business. Unlike most states, Vermonters are not required to get the permission of someone from the state government before being able to CCW. The state constitution is very clear on the matter. And also in Vermont, the local ACLU chapter has always supported the ownership of military style (so called assault) weapons, unlike the national organization. All in all, Vermont is a great place to live if you want to own and bear arms.

Last edited by Ruger44; 09-12-2010 at 04:12 AM.

Old 09-12-2010, 09:02 AM   #15

Liked 1616 Times on 944 Posts
Likes Given: 1894

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruger44 View Post
You guys are a little off base with your comments about New England. I used to live in the Northeast Kingdom of Vermont (a part of New England)and the RKBA is highly respected there, even by the local law enforcement folks. Believe it or not, Vermont is a live and let live state, people in the main mind their own business. Unlike most states, Vermonters are not required to get the permission of someone from the state government before being able to CCW. The state constitution is very clear on the matter. And also in Vermont, the local ACLU chapter has always supported the ownership of military style (so called assault) weapons, unlike the national organization. All in all, Vermont is a great place to live if you want to own and bear arms.
That does sound really great. The only states I've lived in for any real amount of time and had firearms have been Ohio and Kentucky. Ohio was a PITA. Ky. is a little better depending where you are. The larger cities it's a gamble but out in the rural areas it almost seems expected that people have a weapon on them or close by. Even my gun rack has a gun rack!

I have a friend in Ohio that the only reason they got a permit was because they got harassed for having a concealed weapon (in a car) and was just going from ther range to home. The LEO told them that it's considered concealed in transport. I'm not all that sure about it all but not she carries all the time (with a permit). More stat6es should take the Vermont and now Az. stance. Paying for the privilege to exorcise a right just isn't right.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
Thomas Jefferson

Old 09-12-2010, 11:59 AM   #16

Default That's why...

Quote:
Originally Posted by robocop10mm View Post
Pretty typical encounter in the Southern States. In New England, that would have likely gone differently.
That's why I live here in Georgia!

"To disarm the people is the most effectual way to enslave them."
- George Mason

Old 09-12-2010, 02:33 PM   #17

I live here in Pa right now and the laws are pretty good. It is a "shall issue" state and there are few restrictions against where you can carry. Open carry is received by LEO's better in some places than others. Our only big problem is that some cities have been violating the state pre-emption laws by trying to pass their own gun ordinances.

Old 09-12-2010, 04:35 PM   #18

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts

Love the story. Always good to hear these. The fine officers in my town all know me, know I served and know I carry everywhere I go. I still let them know however that I am carrying if I have it on and encounter them. The funny thing is I always get the same response, "yes we know Doc, no worries". I let them know so they don't get jumpy if they see it. I know they know I have it on but its still nice to inform them just in case they are a little jumpy that day.

DON'T BUY DELL!!!!!

BEWARE!!! The toes you step on today may be connected to the ass you kiss tomorrow.

PM Tango about his upcoming SHARTFOO courses.

Last edited by doctherock; 09-12-2010 at 04:35 PM. Reason: fat fingers, tiny keyboard.

Old 06-20-2011, 06:51 PM   #19

Liked 164 Times on 116 Posts
Likes Given: 260

Good stuff to read, I ran into a license check the other day and informed the officer I had a CCW and was in fact carrying. He had a shocked look on his face and thanked me for letting him know. He asked me to pull over and started to talk about which guns he liked to carry, asked if I minded telling him what I carried, we must have talked 15 or 20 minutes about our guns. Now he comes by my place of business just to talk on slow days. What a crazy way to meet a new friend.

Old 06-20-2011, 07:20 PM   #20

Liked 1936 Times on 1070 Posts
Likes Given: 1272

I live in Colorado. I have several friends in law enforcement. They say that they want people to tell them if they are carrying, even though we are not required to. I have had encounters with a couple of officers I did not know. I told each of them that I had a permit and was carrying. Each officer was very polite and calm. No one has ever given me any greif about it. They just don't like to be surprized.

Romans 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.