LEO encounter
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > LEO encounter

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-25-2010, 12:17 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 22 Times on 7 Posts

Default LEO encounter

Had to run to Walmart yesterday afternoon after work for some junk. I was lazy so I had just clipped my Sig 239 in a paddle to my belt and had a t-shirt over it. Right when I pulled into the driveway, one of Hinesville's finest came roaring into the subdivision and parked his cruiser at the dead end of the road. He got out and started walking up the street - obviously looking for something.

Being interested, I hung out in the driveway waiting to see some excitement. He made his way towards my place and walked up to me and said good evening. He asked me if I had seen any "thugs" running though the neighborhood in the past few minutes. I said I had just got home and asked him what was going on. He said 3 punks had tried to rob a gas station a few blocks away (with knives) and the owner had pulled on them and they took off running.

He noticed I was strapped (not really concealed well) and asked me what it was. I told him and he said he carried one off-duty quite often. We chatted for about 10 minutes about guns and stuff (while he was scanning the area). We shook hands and as he was leaving he told me he wished more folks would take the time and effort to arm themselves as the world would be safer for everyone. This is how an encounter is supposed to go - and no, he didn't even ask to see my permit...

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-25-2010, 12:25 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 83 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Good story. I wish more cops out there were like that. There are several cops in my area that don't like the idea of citizens being armed and if you have a run in with them they make their thoughts known. Right or wrong they get away with it on a regular basis.

If the pain is lacking so is the discipline...

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer

Old 08-25-2010, 12:27 PM   #3

Liked 3735 Times on 1824 Posts
Likes Given: 13269

You want to know how an encounter in NYC would go?

Sounds like you have at least 1 decent minded LE in the area, congrats. Although I no longer live in NY I'm still a bit jaded when it comes to LEO's. Hell, just a couple weeks ago I had a run in with a meter maid (i know, not a real LEO) while subbing for a Super in Manhattan. F****r gave me a bull**** parking ticket - claimed I didn't have a "permit" when there was not a sign on the block requiring one and refused to toss it. He told me to take my argument up with Traffic Court, like i have time to go back into Manhattan at night for a ticket?

With work I haven't had time enough to meet many locals in Bennington yet. Of course if I could ever get some range time at the local club i joined most likely I would end up meeting most of the LEO's in town.

disclaimer - i don't want it to come off like I lump all LEO's together. i realize that their are many fine LEO's out there doing an incredible job under difficult circumstance so I do thank them for that. Unfortunately for me the bad experiences have far outweighed the good experiences.

I still like you Robo - even if you did claymor my front door! =)

Member: NRA GOA

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Est sularas oth mithas

"either way, you were guilty by association, so you were smited...." JD

Last edited by dog2000tj; 08-25-2010 at 12:34 PM.

Old 08-25-2010, 12:27 PM   #4

Spitty, it doesn't hurt that I'm a big OLD fella with a short haircut. You're correct though that many LEOs look at armed citizens as a bad thing...

Old 08-25-2010, 12:33 PM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 83 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGIB View Post
Spitty, it doesn't hurt that I'm a big OLD fella with a short haircut. You're correct though that many LEOs look at armed citizens as a bad thing...
I'm just a skinny white guy with short hair. I guess it doesn't help that with a fresh hair cut and a shave I look like I'm 18 instead of 28.

If the pain is lacking so is the discipline...

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer

Old 08-25-2010, 01:25 PM   #6
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2865 Times on 1492 Posts
Likes Given: 254

Pretty typical encounter in the Southern States. In New England, that would have likely gone differently.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 08-25-2010, 01:35 PM   #7

Liked 58 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 1

That IS a good story. My understanding was that MOST LEOs look upon CHL carriers favorably.....guess I'm naive!

Old 08-25-2010, 02:06 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by robocop10mm View Post
Pretty typical encounter in the Southern States. In New England, that would have likely gone differently.
North of the Mason-Dixon line I'd probably have been tazed & cuffed...

Old 08-26-2010, 04:57 AM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 20 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 52

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGIB View Post
North of the Mason-Dixon line I'd probably have been tazed & cuffed...
Here where I live the LEO might just have asked you to help look. That is the difference of living in a small town.

Old 08-26-2010, 05:59 AM   #10
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2969 Times on 1712 Posts
Likes Given: 1274

Most LEO I have met seem to like the idea. Good story!

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)