Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f17/)
-   -   LEO encounter (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f17/leo-encounter-30851/)

NGIB 08-25-2010 12:17 PM

LEO encounter

Had to run to Walmart yesterday afternoon after work for some junk. I was lazy so I had just clipped my Sig 239 in a paddle to my belt and had a t-shirt over it. Right when I pulled into the driveway, one of Hinesville's finest came roaring into the subdivision and parked his cruiser at the dead end of the road. He got out and started walking up the street - obviously looking for something.

Being interested, I hung out in the driveway waiting to see some excitement. He made his way towards my place and walked up to me and said good evening. He asked me if I had seen any "thugs" running though the neighborhood in the past few minutes. I said I had just got home and asked him what was going on. He said 3 punks had tried to rob a gas station a few blocks away (with knives) and the owner had pulled on them and they took off running.

He noticed I was strapped (not really concealed well) and asked me what it was. I told him and he said he carried one off-duty quite often. We chatted for about 10 minutes about guns and stuff (while he was scanning the area). We shook hands and as he was leaving he told me he wished more folks would take the time and effort to arm themselves as the world would be safer for everyone. This is how an encounter is supposed to go - and no, he didn't even ask to see my permit...

spittinfire 08-25-2010 12:25 PM

Good story. I wish more cops out there were like that. There are several cops in my area that don't like the idea of citizens being armed and if you have a run in with them they make their thoughts known. Right or wrong they get away with it on a regular basis.

dog2000tj 08-25-2010 12:27 PM

You want to know how an encounter in NYC would go? :(

Sounds like you have at least 1 decent minded LE in the area, congrats. :) Although I no longer live in NY I'm still a bit jaded when it comes to LEO's. Hell, just a couple weeks ago I had a run in with a meter maid (i know, not a real LEO) while subbing for a Super in Manhattan. F****r gave me a bull**** parking ticket - claimed I didn't have a "permit" when there was not a sign on the block requiring one and refused to toss it. He told me to take my argument up with Traffic Court, like i have time to go back into Manhattan at night for a ticket? :mad:

With work I haven't had time enough to meet many locals in Bennington yet. Of course if I could ever get some range time at the local club i joined most likely I would end up meeting most of the LEO's in town.

disclaimer - i don't want it to come off like I lump all LEO's together. i realize that their are many fine LEO's out there doing an incredible job under difficult circumstance so I do thank them for that. Unfortunately for me the bad experiences have far outweighed the good experiences.

I still like you Robo - even if you did claymor my front door! =)

NGIB 08-25-2010 12:27 PM

Spitty, it doesn't hurt that I'm a big OLD fella with a short haircut. You're correct though that many LEOs look at armed citizens as a bad thing...

spittinfire 08-25-2010 12:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NGIB (Post 338036)
Spitty, it doesn't hurt that I'm a big OLD fella with a short haircut. You're correct though that many LEOs look at armed citizens as a bad thing...

I'm just a skinny white guy with short hair. I guess it doesn't help that with a fresh hair cut and a shave I look like I'm 18 instead of 28.

robocop10mm 08-25-2010 01:25 PM

Pretty typical encounter in the Southern States. In New England, that would have likely gone differently.

lonyaeger 08-25-2010 01:35 PM

That IS a good story. My understanding was that MOST LEOs look upon CHL carriers favorably.....guess I'm naive!

NGIB 08-25-2010 02:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by robocop10mm (Post 338061)
Pretty typical encounter in the Southern States. In New England, that would have likely gone differently.

North of the Mason-Dixon line I'd probably have been tazed & cuffed...

Phelenwolf 08-26-2010 04:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NGIB (Post 338078)
North of the Mason-Dixon line I'd probably have been tazed & cuffed...

Here where I live the LEO might just have asked you to help look. That is the difference of living in a small town.

danf_fl 08-26-2010 05:59 AM

Most LEO I have met seem to like the idea. Good story!