Legal membership? - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > Legal membership?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-20-2013, 06:36 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fa35jsf View Post
I am a member of Texas Law Shield which if I remember right is one of the first "companies" to provide this service. I just saw a commercial on TV for something like US shield?

To all I would say, just look at the cost and benefits of each company. The best pay for everything up front, with no cost caps, and most importantly they have a 24/7 phone number that connects you directly to a lawyer. Plug that number into your phone and call them ASAP BEFORE talking to the police.
There are several companies now offering some sort of service. I'll state flat out that any of them are better than having nothing. First and foremost is to tell law enforcement that you have a lawyer and you want to talk to him/her before answering any questions. If you don't have one then tell them you'll be glad to give them a full statement, but only after speaking to a lawyer. Do not, under any circumstances, do anything other than give the responding officers anything other than a very brief explanation of what happened. Bad guy showed up, you felt your life was in danger, you defended yourself. Don't say anything more after that, even if the incident is irrefutable. Don't say that you shot him. If you admit you shot him, you just admitted to being the shooter. (Stupid isn't it?)

Beyond that, this is where the differences in services are pertinent. Does the service have a cap or limit? Does it pay for investigators and experts? Are you reimbursed only if you're found not guilty? Are your legal fees reimbursed after the trial? Do you have to find attorneys, investigators and experts yourself or does the service have them on staff? (OK, that one was a shameless plug, but it's true, we've got the best. ) Also, does the service cover you for all criminal, civil and administrative actions, plus all court costs and fees? Does the service cover all appeals? Does it cover you if you have to use any other weapon besides a gun?

While we think we have the best service for the best price, I can't emphasize enough how important it is to have something in place ahead of time. God forbid you should ever need it, but if you do, you risk your freedom and everything you own if you aren't represented well.

I will take exception to one thing you said. I would strongly suggest that if you're involved in a self defense incident, you immediately call 911. The most important thing is to get the authorities there as quickly as possible. It also gives you a chance to tell the responding officers what you look like and that you will follow their instructions without hesitation. Remember, you just shot someone, the cops are not going to come at you thinking that you''re anything other than a bad guys with a gun. Their first priority is to secure the scene. They are not going to want to talk to you if they're completely in the dark about who and what you are. After they get you in cuffs, they'll start figuring out what's going on.

By law, the police can not question you after you lawyer up. Just let the process run its course. Your lawyer will take care of the rest.

Mike Keeney
CCW Safe

Last edited by MKeeney; 09-20-2013 at 07:07 AM.

Old 09-20-2013, 01:37 PM   #12

Liked 284 Times on 205 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Does your company have a website? Nvm, I found it. Sounds good to me, I will be looking into it a little more.

Last edited by fupuk; 09-20-2013 at 01:43 PM.

Old 09-20-2013, 02:47 PM   #13

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fupuk View Post
Does your company have a website? Nvm, I found it. Sounds good to me, I will be looking into it a little more.
Ours is www.CCWSafe.com/MKeeney.

Mike Keeney
CCW Safe

Old 09-20-2013, 03:00 PM   #14

Liked 4792 Times on 2680 Posts
Likes Given: 1736

I see you have a punishment fee for test calls. Then can you provide some references for your services? Can you post some cases you have worked and what is your success ratio? You seem to be soliciting memberships with no assurances.

Old 09-20-2013, 07:27 PM   #15

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitestalker View Post
I see you have a punishment fee for test calls. Then can you provide some references for your services? Can you post some cases you have worked and what is your success ratio? You seem to be soliciting memberships with no assurances.
You are correct, we do ding you for a test call. The reason is very simple. When you call our hotline, you set a lot of things in motion. It's basically the same as pulling a fire alarm "Just to see the firemen show up". The only difference is, we don't have an unlimited supply of tax dollars. Our hotline process has a cost, whether the call was legitimate or not. A call to the hotline stops a whole group of very busy people from what they were doing and focuses their attention on the call. Considering that some of these people are lawyers and private investigators, interruptions without merit can have a substantial cost.

The answer to your 2nd question is...we don't have any. No references (as far as people we've represented in court), because there simply haven't been any to deal with. But that is the secret to our success. We know that people that take the time to go through the training to get a concealed carry permit, and then sign up for a service like ours are the very definition of responsible gun owners, and the least likely to shoot someone (or run over them with a car if that's all that's available for self defense). As a salesperson I'd like nothing more than to have a long list of cases we've been involved in, but dang it all, none of you have had the decency to get yourself into a situation in which you had to defend your life.

We aren't wishing for that first case because it would mean that one of our members had their life in jeopardy but we also know that the very existence of our company rises and falls on every single case we're involved in. We're not in the business of providing half ass service. In fact, if you look at the bio's of the people we use, you'll see that they are a world class group of the most experienced people in their respective fields. We vette everyone and only the best are added to our network. We don't use cheap lawyers, we only use lawyers that have experience in self defense cases. Our investigators are all experienced homicide investigators or ex law enforcement with a long history of investigating use of force incidents.

When someone calls the hotline it sets a lot of things in motion. An incident commander is assigned and people start getting on airplanes. If you and you wife are in a shopping mall and a bad guys jumps out and starts stabbing your wife and you draw your weapon and fire, you can be certain of one thing, the whole encounter would be viewed by a ton of witnesses and video surveillance. You had no choice but to shoot because you had a cast on one arm and one leg, (so you couldn't fight or run away). Could anything be a more clear cut case of justifiable self defense? Well, we still want you to call the hotline. We're still going to send the investigator and we're still going to do a complete investigation. You may not face a criminal charge, but the guy you shot will probably sue you for loss of the income from robbing people. As silly as that sounds, if you don't show up in court and put on a proper defense, you could lose and lose big. Not because the guy was in the right, but because the system is in the wrong. Our legal system is full of pitfalls that can swallow you up in a microsecond. That's why I strongly suggest people get any kind of coverage that gets them some level of legal representation. It's critical.

Mike Keeney
CCW Safe

Last edited by MKeeney; 09-20-2013 at 07:32 PM.

Old 09-20-2013, 08:12 PM   #16

Liked 9206 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

How long has your company been in business?

Old 09-21-2013, 02:24 AM   #17

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip286 View Post
How long has your company been in business?
Since 2011.

Mike Keeney
CCW Safe

Old 11-02-2013, 05:50 PM   #18

MKeeney -

Was linked into this discussion on the floridaconcealedcarry forum.

There was some discussion on there about the services of ccmsafe.
A couple of questions related to the service:

1. How many members do you have for the service?
It's good that none have had to avail themselves of the services; but, it
would be helpful to know if that is none of 300; or, none of 30,000

2. What personnel resources do you have that are familiar with Florida law and
that would be readily available to resond to a need in this area?
It would be more comforting knowing that the attorney/investigator(s), etc.
that are responding are not sitting on a plane from ????, studying Florida
law as they ride to my assistance.

I'll post any response on our forum.

Thank you

Old 11-02-2013, 06:34 PM   #19
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2165 Times on 1487 Posts
Likes Given: 805

I train a criminal lawyers horses. He told me in the event I had to defend my self say nothing other than I don't feel so good I need an ambulance. Once I at the hospital I will have hours to get a lawyer. Plus I won't be forced to do anything but get into the ambulance with my adrenaline flowing.

To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. Thomas Paine

Old 11-02-2013, 06:54 PM   #20

Liked 224 Times on 155 Posts
Likes Given: 375

MKEENEY, How about a constitutional carry state (Alaska), we have available CCW permits especially for those of us that travel "outside". Inside the state we can carry concealed or open anywhere a weapon is not banned( schools, federal blds., courts,etc.) without ANY permit.
How do we qualify for membership? ( I assume that if we qualified for membership all benefits would be ours as well.

You have to LIVE, DIE, and PAY TAXES, and pay for what you do between your LIVING and your DYING!

Last edited by artbrownsr; 11-02-2013 at 06:56 PM.