Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > Is this legal

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-16-2012, 12:52 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 200 Times on 152 Posts

I don't know about other states but here in Ky.. It is pretty common to give a gun to your son. Also guns get purchased and then sold for any number of reasons no paper work for a sale individual to individual. One guy needs money....sale.......guy buys it cheap just to make money......sale............guy buys it shoots it.......someone sees it likes it...........trade............give it son..............needs money..........sale

Old 12-16-2012, 01:01 PM   #12

Liked 2149 Times on 1450 Posts
Likes Given: 1172

Quote:
Originally Posted by kycol View Post
I don't know about other states but here in Ky.. It is pretty common to give a gun to your son. Also guns get purchased and then sold for any number of reasons no paper work for a sale individual to individual. One guy needs money....sale.......guy buys it cheap just to make money......sale............guy buys it shoots it.......someone sees it likes it...........trade............give it son..............needs money..........sale
Same here & i've done it for many years BUT - once again--Gun can be traced back to last one that bought it thru a FFL-
I was once the last "papered" owner of a Ruger SR9 that was used in a homicide a year or so later----My dealer got a phone call
Then i did---

Texan By Birth & Choice
USMC/VIET NAM VET

Old 12-16-2012, 01:05 PM   #13

Liked 200 Times on 152 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOSSFLY

Same here & i've done it for many years BUT - once again--Gun can be traced back to last one that bought it thru a FFL-
I was once the last "papered" owner of a Ruger SR9 that was used in a homicide a year or so later----My dealer got a phone call
Then i did---
I have bought them, but never sold one. I have given to my son. And one day he will hit the jackpot.

Edit..........I'm not like axxe who wouldn't adopt me and leave his to his son.............lol

Old 12-16-2012, 01:10 PM   #14

Liked 2149 Times on 1450 Posts
Likes Given: 1172

Quote:
Originally Posted by kycol View Post
I have bought them, but never sold one. I have given to my son. And one day he will hit the jackpot.

Edit..........I'm not like axxe who wouldn't adopt me and leave his to his son.............lol
Lets just say i'm a bit more picky on my face to face deals now--
Zero problem gifting one to a son-
BTW, Axxe wuldn't adopt me neither

Texan By Birth & Choice
USMC/VIET NAM VET

Old 12-16-2012, 11:08 PM   #15
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 2261 Times on 1188 Posts
Likes Given: 155

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOSSFLY View Post
Gun can be traced back to last one that bought it thru a FFL-
Not exactly. An ATF Guntrace traces the gun from the manufacturer, through the wholesaler and dealer, then to the ORIGINAL purchaser. If you sell or trade the gun to a dealer, there is a record of that transaction, but not a link to the previouos dealer. The gun could bounce in and out of FFL dealer's hands multiple times, but there is no easy way to trace those transactions.

I request a trace through ATF. A couple of weeks later they send me a letter explaining who bought it FIRST from the dealer. I try to find that person. He tells me "I traded it to Joe's guns shop about 3 years ago". I contact Joe's. Joe tells me he sold it to customer #2 and the process starts all over again. It is sometimes very complicated and time consuming to find the last owner.

BTW, Texas has no gun registration and the CHL does not indicate what gun you are allowed to carry, just the class of gun (SA for Semi-auto and anything else. NSA for anything BUT a semi-auto).

I can "run" the serial number of a gun and find out if it is reported stolen, that is it. It may be stolen, but not reported. I have no clue who it actually belongs to.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 12-16-2012, 11:13 PM   #16

Liked 271 Times on 153 Posts
Likes Given: 193

As long as you took the concealed carry course with a semi-auto handgun, you can carry any handgun you want in Texas as long as it's concealed.

Old 12-16-2012, 11:19 PM   #17
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1798 Times on 921 Posts
Likes Given: 971

Talent,

Most state laws that are reciprocity states with Texas. They normally state as long as the person carrying and traveling has a valid CCW. And they are legal as long as the weapon in their possession is legally in their possession. As stated however if you do a lot of traveling you need to check each individual states regulations. *You have states like Illinois and others who are serious exceptions.

The Constitution is not an instrument for the Government to restrain the people. It is an instrument for the people to restrain the Government!
*Patrick Henry

Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom."

-- John F. Kennedy