Firearm & Gun Forum -

Firearm & Gun Forum - (
-   Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection (
-   -   Is this legal (

MyRawTalent 12-16-2012 02:00 AM

I own my own hg but I was wondering is it legal for me to carry one of my step-fathers guns if I have his permission while he is traveling and I have a concealed carry license In Texas?

JTJ 12-16-2012 02:22 AM

Does Texas list the firearm on the license?

MyRawTalent 12-16-2012 02:24 AM

Originally Posted by JTJ
Does Texas list the firearm on the license?

I don't believe so just SA OR NSA

danf_fl 12-16-2012 10:09 AM

I'm not saying it could happen, but I would consider getting a "Bill of Sale".
With any questions, the firearm is then rightfully yours, and you are not transferring a firearm across state line.
(I presume his last is different than yours.)

mountainman13 12-16-2012 10:22 AM

It's not illegal but I wouldn't recommend it. If you're going to carry it get permission from him first. If something were to happen, the cops will be taking and running the gun. It won't come up in your name. He will be potentially liable and could potentially say it was stolen. Not illegal but not recommended.

trip286 12-16-2012 11:30 AM

If you and your step Dad fully trust each other, you don't have to list your firearm on your permit, and your have his permission, I don't see a problem.

If you crack up and do something illegal, he should be man enough to own up to loaning it to you. If the cops for whatever reason have to run it, and find it bought by him, that's a technicality that can easily be straightened out by him admitting to loaning it to you.

That's all assuming that it is legal and he wouldn't hang you out to dry. I for one a wouldn't be doing it though. Is just kind of an old fashioned thing for me. I wouldn't carry another man's gun, ride his horse, touch his wife, tune his guitar, sharpen his knife... There are several things that just don't seem right and manly to me, and that happens to be one.

Now, people like my step Dad actually keep loaner guns around the house. That's a different story. Wanna shoot Skeet, but didn't bring your shotgun? He's got a Mossberg 500 for guests and grandkids in .410. Wanna plink? He's got a .22 rifle for anybody who wants to use it. Hunting? He'll break out the Enfield for ya. These are guns he just keeps around the house because he ended up with them, or replaced them from his personal arsenal, and they get used too often to justify selling. He's fine with sharing his personal guns on the range, but he's not going to loan them out.

Rick1967 12-16-2012 11:30 AM

Does Texas register handguns? I was not aware of that.

Chainfire 12-16-2012 11:47 AM

Florida does not register handguns to owners. My adult son and I swap and loan back and forth so often, I would have to go to my paper records to be sure which ones are actually mine, and which are his. The S&W Airweight I carried in my pants pocket yesterday is one of those, I am not sure if it belongs to me or him. :)

My son has the keys and combinations to the safes and anything I own is his for the taking (except my 1911) and we got him one of them.

John_Deer 12-16-2012 11:52 AM

I would go and verify what states recognize a TX CCP.

HOSSFLY 12-16-2012 12:16 PM

Originally Posted by Rick1967 (Post 1053464)
Does Texas register handguns? I was not aware of that.

No, gun can be traced back to last legal buyer tho -