Leaving you gun in your car. - Page 5
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > Leaving you gun in your car.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-06-2012, 03:18 PM   #41
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 21697 Times on 12308 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjnfirearms View Post
A professional thief will get much of what he is after. That's a given. As to insurance, you'll have to check with your car insurer if the gun would be covered. If not, your homeowner's policy should kick in as most have coverage, limited to dollar amount total, on firearms. I had to take advantage of my NRA coverage that comes with your membership. Still, it only covers current book value minus a $100 deductable. After my experience, I upped the coverage by adding the optional coverage. I got $5000 coverage at replacement value for under $70/year. The reason, I only got $245 for a Ruger P90DC. The insurer was good to deal with and after they got all the paperwork, settled the claim promptly and without issue.

Bottom line is that there is nothing you can do about places that prohibit firearms. Realistically, it is real hard to say that you just will not go places that prohibit them. If you choose to carry and have to secure a firearm before you enter one of those places, there is an element of risk that cannot go away. The trick is to minimize the risk. The only alternative is to leave your gun at home if you know that you are going to such a place.

I just installed a safe in the wife's Jeep also. She wanted one as she has her CCW now and goes to stranger's homes to notarize signatures on leases for Marcellus Shale drilling on private land. She often goes to appointments after she leaves work and wants to be able to secure her pistol during regular work hours or goes somewhere that prohibits carry.
i agree with you, if a professional thief wants it, it's gone. his primary target is the vehicle, and the firearm would just be sold on the black market.

my recommendation would be to park anywhere that would keep them from bothering it in the first place, well lit places if dark and some place where lots of people frequent so there would be witness's if it were stolen. sometimes there are times when the weapon would have to be secured, because of prohibited carry, so i agree that a secure box of some type shold be used.

our main problems would as i said the smash and grab thief looking for an easy score.

Old 04-10-2012, 01:25 PM   #42

I bought a safe kind of like the nano vault for my F150. I took the cable and secured it so that there is very little play in it, but the safe is still in reach for me. When i have to leave my gun in my truck i tend to empty it and i will lock the firearm itself in the safe and put the magazine wedged between the backrest and the seat. The vault sits closely under the middle seat in my truck and with my window tint you can't even tell that the safe is there. I paid a buddy of mine to try to break into the safe and everything else and he was unsuccessful, UNTIL he went to get a pair of heavy duty bolt cutters to attempt to cut the cable. The safe i have has 3 mounting holes in the bottom of it and i am looking at hard mounting it to the transmission tunnel where i can still access it but it is out of view from nosey people. The link is to the safe that i have and i also have the double stacked one for the house to keep my wifes pistol and mine locked up when people are over and when we leave. The price says almost $200 on here but i picked mine up from a local gun store and paid $80 for it and i believe the double stack one was like $120

http://www.gunvault.com/microvault-biometric-mvb500.html

Old 04-10-2012, 07:44 PM   #43

Liked 68 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 113

I used to work for HP and sometimes I would have to go places I couldn't carry like federal and state government buildings. I had no choice but to leave it in my car and I hated it. Thankfully there were always armed guards around and nobody was going to break into my car at these places.

I wouldn't leave it in my car for long periods of time without a safe like the Nano Vault to lock it up in.

Old 04-10-2012, 09:34 PM   #44

Liked 25 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc2009 View Post
I bought a safe kind of like the nano vault for my F150. I took the cable and secured it so that there is very little play in it, but the safe is still in reach for me. When i have to leave my gun in my truck i tend to empty it and i will lock the firearm itself in the safe and put the magazine wedged between the backrest and the seat. The vault sits closely under the middle seat in my truck and with my window tint you can't even tell that the safe is there. I paid a buddy of mine to try to break into the safe and everything else and he was unsuccessful, UNTIL he went to get a pair of heavy duty bolt cutters to attempt to cut the cable. The safe i have has 3 mounting holes in the bottom of it and i am looking at hard mounting it to the transmission tunnel where i can still access it but it is out of view from nosey people. The link is to the safe that i have and i also have the double stacked one for the house to keep my wifes pistol and mine locked up when people are over and when we leave. The price says almost $200 on here but i picked mine up from a local gun store and paid $80 for it and i believe the double stack one was like $120

http://www.gunvault.com/microvault-biometric-mvb500.html
I read a story recently where a guy had a GV1000S bolted down under the seat of his truck and apparently it was pried open without much effort. He thought that having it bolted down actually made it easier for the thief to pry on it.

The problem is the container is not built solid enough to withstand that type of attack. His was 16ga and the one you linked to is 20ga. There are better built containers that will stand up better to that type of attack, but they won't be made of that thin a gage steel. Look for something at least 11ga. My opinion is that the cables are easily cut, so I like the idea of bolting it down. Just make sure the box is relatively strong or you might actually make it easier on the BG.

Glenn
FAS1SAFE

Old 04-11-2012, 01:16 AM   #45

Liked 136 Times on 65 Posts
Likes Given: 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by PositronDave View Post
Anyone else leave their gun in their car, locked of course? Or use car holsters?
I use a right handed IWB holster to keep a G21 in the driver side door panel of my truck. When the door is closed you can't see it. When the door is open you can see the butt, so I make sure to open the door only as wide as needed and to use my body to hide it. ezpz.

Last edited by Seven; 04-11-2012 at 01:18 AM.

Old 04-11-2012, 04:58 AM   #46

I just recently recieved my concealed carry. Right now my main carry is a Glock 26. I'm not allowed to carry at work, so when I drive my suv, the gun gets locked in the glovebox or stashed under a seat.
My problem is most days I ride my Kawasaki which only has leather saddlebags. I haven't figured out a way to secure the weapon on the bike, without switching to a hard lockable trunk and suitcses, which .I'm not opposed to, but I'm not sure how secure that would even be.

forumrunner_20120411_005603.jpg  

Old 04-11-2012, 05:24 AM   #47

Liked 61 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 15

What if your car had a sign that read { Snake and Reptile Transport Service}

Old 04-11-2012, 05:29 AM   #48

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Heres a really gret idea, well at your job, if you can, buy a conceal carry satchel/case and carry your weapon in that. Shhh dont tell my boss though. P.s i actually work with computers myself and have to drive in the west end to get to my job so wait are you my co worker, Bill lol

Old 04-13-2012, 11:09 AM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by FAS1 View Post
I read a story recently where a guy had a GV1000S bolted down under the seat of his truck and apparently it was pried open without much effort. He thought that having it bolted down actually made it easier for the thief to pry on it.

The problem is the container is not built solid enough to withstand that type of attack. His was 16ga and the one you linked to is 20ga. There are better built containers that will stand up better to that type of attack, but they won't be made of that thin a gage steel. Look for something at least 11ga. My opinion is that the cables are easily cut, so I like the idea of bolting it down. Just make sure the box is relatively strong or you might actually make it easier on the BG.
i agree with you on getting a better guage steel to work with. and it sucks that the guys safe got stolen. If someone really wants it they will get it yes, but the safe is their to help slow them down. I could see that he would be concerned about it being easier to pry up if it was bolted down, but at the end of the day, if it is bolted down its slower for them to get it up than if it is just secured with a cable. I am going to secure mine with some heavy duty bolts and possibly lock tight them down so that way it won't come up as easy. but not to sure how exactly i will mount it down. right now i have the standard security cable and went an bought a heavy duty metal chain and fished the cable through the chain to make it a little more difficult to get through.