Leaving you gun in your car. - Page 4
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > Leaving you gun in your car.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-02-2012, 12:40 AM   #31
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 201 Times on 138 Posts

I would like to find a ceiling mounted rack to fit in my F150 for my 870. My cousin has one in his cruiser and they actually lock the weapon in. In his car, crown vic, a button on the center console next to the lightbar controls unlocks it.

Century Arms AR-15A2, 5.56
1946 Mosin-Nagant M44, 7.62x54R
1978 YUGO SKS, 7.62x39
NEF Protector Pump, 12 gauge
Savage Model 64, .22LR
NEF Pardner Tracker II, 12 gauge
Rock Island Armory 1911A1, .45 ACP
Remington 870 'Express Magnum' 12 gauge
Bersa Thunder .380

Old 04-02-2012, 08:45 PM   #32

Liked 28 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragunovsks View Post
I would like to find a ceiling mounted rack to fit in my F150 for my 870. My cousin has one in his cruiser and they actually lock the weapon in. In his car, crown vic, a button on the center console next to the lightbar controls unlocks it.
They are available at sites that sell to law enforcement like this one. I doubt they are very secure when you look at how they attach at the ends. Not too many people break into police cars and try to pull the whole rack out.

http://www.fleetsafety.com/Police-Gun-Rack-Overhead-Vehicle-Mount-by-Progard-190#product-brief

Glenn
FAS1SAFE

Old 04-03-2012, 01:17 AM   #33

Liked 201 Times on 138 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by FAS1

They are available at sites that sell to law enforcement like this one. I doubt they are very secure when you look at how they attach at the ends. Not too many people break into police cars and try to pull the whole rack out.

http://www.fleetsafety.com/Police-Gun-Rack-Overhead-Vehicle-Mount-by-Progard-190#product-brief
The one in my cousins crown vic is very solid, he told me to try to get it out and i couldnt. Maybe if i had a couple hours and a crowbar or cutting torch, lol. It will also hold the weapon secure in a accident so you dont have to worry about takin it to the dome if involved in a collision. I dont remember his being secured on the ends like that one though.

Im not sure if they make one that will work in my truck tho because it has overhead bins that snap onto aluminum tracks that run down the center line of the ceiling.

Century Arms AR-15A2, 5.56
1946 Mosin-Nagant M44, 7.62x54R
1978 YUGO SKS, 7.62x39
NEF Protector Pump, 12 gauge
Savage Model 64, .22LR
NEF Pardner Tracker II, 12 gauge
Rock Island Armory 1911A1, .45 ACP
Remington 870 'Express Magnum' 12 gauge
Bersa Thunder .380

Last edited by dragunovsks; 04-03-2012 at 01:20 AM.

Old 04-03-2012, 03:09 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragunovsks

The one in my cousins crown vic is very solid, he told me to try to get it out and i couldnt. Maybe if i had a couple hours and a crowbar or cutting torch, lol. It will also hold the weapon secure in a accident so you dont have to worry about takin it to the dome if involved in a collision. I dont remember his being secured on the ends like that one though.

Im not sure if they make one that will work in my truck tho because it has overhead bins that snap onto aluminum tracks that run down the center line of the ceiling.
Good to hear it's that solid. Just looks like an 18" crowbar would do a number on the end plates.

Glenn
FAS1SAFE

Old 04-03-2012, 07:40 PM   #35
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21985 Times on 12396 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

JCWhitney use to have a shelf that mounted above the sunvisors that could hold a rifle or shotgun out of sight. they were made for most popular trucks in colors that matched the interior. i don't know how secure they are, but might want to check into them. my father has gunracks mounted on the cab wall behind the seat, so they are out of sight and very hard to see. but this really would only work if you have a regular cab and not an extended cab or four door truck.

Old 04-04-2012, 02:31 AM   #36

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Take it from someone that lost a gun from a car (my son's car when he borrowed the gun until he got a new one. Broke into it while he was at work). Have a secure place to store it if you find yourself in a position to have to leave it in the car. I installed Nano Vaults in both of our Jeeps. If you're pretty religious about carrying, you'll undoubtedly find yourself in a position where you cannot take the gun in with you and you'll have to secure it in the car. The investment is worth it.

I permanently secured them in the cargo area in the back. I really don't trust those cables that much, though they are much better than nothing.

Old 04-05-2012, 12:08 AM   #37

Liked 48 Times on 37 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PositronDave
I work with a company that doesn't permit guns in their workplace, as many others I would assume. I have to drive through a "not so friendly" area to get to work, and leave my gun locked in my car, I know someone else that does this, but can't help from feeling a little nervous.

I always keep the serial number with me in case my car gets broken into and the gun gets stolen.

Anyone else leave their gun in their car, locked of course? Or use car holsters?
If you can** you might do good to break it down like i had seen and heard of, if your guns small enought just take the frame with the serial no. On it so technially in a break in your protected as well theyll just have numberless parts and no your gun "technically". OR keep it locked in a small gun safe under the seat and the safe it attached with a cable ect to the frame

Old 04-05-2012, 03:46 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjnfirearms View Post
Take it from someone that lost a gun from a car (my son's car when he borrowed the gun until he got a new one. Broke into it while he was at work). Have a secure place to store it if you find yourself in a position to have to leave it in the car. I installed Nano Vaults in both of our Jeeps. If you're pretty religious about carrying, you'll undoubtedly find yourself in a position where you cannot take the gun in with you and you'll have to secure it in the car. The investment is worth it.

I permanently secured them in the cargo area in the back. I really don't trust those cables that much, though they are much better than nothing.
I agree on the cables for sure. I took a pair of regular dikes and cut a piece of access cable from my garage door. It did take both hands but only about 5 seconds.

Glenn
FAS1SAFE

Old 04-05-2012, 04:33 PM   #39
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21985 Times on 12396 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

my way of thinking is that what we are most likely to encounter is the thief who is looking for an easy score. those are going to be the most common ones that we need to worry about. a gun case or rifle in a gunrack, and it sitting at the grocery store or WalMart and they just break a window out and walk off with it. the professional thief, he is much harder to stop. time is his enemy and the harder it is and the longer it takes will discourage them. my biggest concern is this, having the whole vehicle stolen and i have firearms in it. now the vehicle does concern me, but i have full coverage insurance on my vehicles, so that's just an inconveince. but what about the firearms? this is my concern and them falling into the wrong hands or not getting reimbursed for their loss.

i think some type permanant mounted case or box that is locking is a good idea and will keep most thieves at bay. but if the whole vehicle is stolen, then they have access to tools, then they will most likely be able to obtain anything that is in it.

Old 04-05-2012, 07:27 PM   #40

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

A professional thief will get much of what he is after. That's a given. As to insurance, you'll have to check with your car insurer if the gun would be covered. If not, your homeowner's policy should kick in as most have coverage, limited to dollar amount total, on firearms. I had to take advantage of my NRA coverage that comes with your membership. Still, it only covers current book value minus a $100 deductable. After my experience, I upped the coverage by adding the optional coverage. I got $5000 coverage at replacement value for under $70/year. The reason, I only got $245 for a Ruger P90DC. The insurer was good to deal with and after they got all the paperwork, settled the claim promptly and without issue.

Bottom line is that there is nothing you can do about places that prohibit firearms. Realistically, it is real hard to say that you just will not go places that prohibit them. If you choose to carry and have to secure a firearm before you enter one of those places, there is an element of risk that cannot go away. The trick is to minimize the risk. The only alternative is to leave your gun at home if you know that you are going to such a place.

I just installed a safe in the wife's Jeep also. She wanted one as she has her CCW now and goes to stranger's homes to notarize signatures on leases for Marcellus Shale drilling on private land. She often goes to appointments after she leaves work and wants to be able to secure her pistol during regular work hours or goes somewhere that prohibits carry.