Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > Leaving you gun in your car.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-30-2012, 02:36 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 163 Times on 115 Posts
Likes Given: 260

Only if I have to, like going into Government buildings and then I take and place my gun into the spare tire well before I drive to the building(so no one sees me put it in there). I carry a BUG and I will leave it hidden in a very unusual spot inside my truck or under the edge of the console of my car(I removed a screw to make it easier to hide it here). My wife's car has a safe bolted into the trunk, and she will use it once in a while.

A good car alarm might add a little piece of mind when you have to leave your gun in the car, with the gun secured out of sight.

I'm playing with the idea of a pop up cup holder holster for times like this, it wouldn't work for fast draws but I think it will keep it well hidden.

Don't question my right to own a gun and I won't question your stupidity not to.

You give Peace a chance, we will cover you if it doesn't work out.

Old 03-30-2012, 03:37 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by axxe55 View Post
i would have to say that having the serial number somewhere so that it could be given to LE as soon as possible would be advisable.
I have the serial number and pictures in the "cloud", if you're familiar with computing, so I can access it instantly from any computer or smart phone to report it ASAP if that should happen. I'll eventually get a trunk mounted box that can store it and a bug out bag. Or once I trade in my car and get a pick up with a lockable truck box. And I do have a car alarm.

Last edited by PositronDave; 03-30-2012 at 03:41 PM.

Old 03-30-2012, 07:43 PM   #23

Liked 41 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 19

I choose to not leave any of my firearms unattended in my vehicles. I do not like to think of any of my firearms being stolen from my house or vehicle. At home my firearms are locked in a big safe that is bolted to the wall. I have left hunting rifles locked in the trunk or somewhere else in my vehicle covered up while I was somewhere like a restaurant or convenience store but I parked where I could see it through the window.

Old 04-01-2012, 01:47 AM   #24
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 20058 Times on 11409 Posts
Likes Given: 50598

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueTurf View Post
I choose to not leave any of my firearms unattended in my vehicles. I do not like to think of any of my firearms being stolen from my house or vehicle. At home my firearms are locked in a big safe that is bolted to the wall. I have left hunting rifles locked in the trunk or somewhere else in my vehicle covered up while I was somewhere like a restaurant or convenience store but I parked where I could see it through the window.
i too prefer not to leave firearms in my vehicle, but there are times when it just can't be avoided. best thing is to never ever leave them in sight! part of the reason i never use a gunrack anymore for guns in my trucks, now they make great hatracks! i am lucky that i have the storage under the rear seats in my trucks to store a long gun.

Old 04-01-2012, 04:46 PM   #25

Liked 41 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 19

Quote:
i too prefer not to leave firearms in my vehicle, but there are times when it just can't be avoided. best thing is to never ever leave them in sight! part of the reason i never use a gunrack anymore for guns in my trucks, now they make great hatracks! i am lucky that i have the storage under the rear seats in my trucks to store a long gun.
You brought up a real good point. I think anyone who leaves guns hanging on a gun rack in an unattended vehicle is asking for trouble these days. Those guns would not stay on the rack very long in a lot of places.

I remember in my younger days seeing lots of Pickups with full gun racks sitting in parking lots, but the times have changed. It is quite a different world out there now.

Old 04-01-2012, 05:12 PM   #26

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 15

I can't bring mine to work. Nuclear power plant and federall owned which blows .If i get caught with a gun or even a bullet i can lose my nuclear clearance permanatly . Its the only time i dont have a firearm with me or close by .

" TO EACH HIS OWN "

Old 04-01-2012, 05:27 PM   #27

Liked 201 Times on 138 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverg420
I can't bring mine to work. Nuclear power plant and federall owned which blows .If i get caught with a gun or even a bullet i can lose my nuclear clearance permanatly . Its the only time i dont have a firearm with me or close by .
But at least that place is heavily defended by guys with some pretty high tech kit, right?

Century Arms AR-15A2, 5.56
1946 Mosin-Nagant M44, 7.62x54R
1978 YUGO SKS, 7.62x39
NEF Protector Pump, 12 gauge
Savage Model 64, .22LR
NEF Pardner Tracker II, 12 gauge
Rock Island Armory 1911A1, .45 ACP
Remington 870 'Express Magnum' 12 gauge
Bersa Thunder .380

Old 04-01-2012, 06:53 PM   #28
+ TRES VERBO DICTUM +
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1617 Times on 845 Posts
Likes Given: 1305

Quote:
. . part of the reason i never use a gunrack anymore for guns in my trucks, now they make great hatracks! . .
And all this time I thought those things were meant to hold levels!

Old 04-01-2012, 07:41 PM   #29

Liked 201 Times on 138 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincine
I never used a gunrack for 3 reasons

1. You're asking to have your window smashed and your firearm stolen by leaving it in the rack unattended.

2. Never had a truck that they would work in.

3. My fil had one in his reg cab ranger, he only used it to transport his shotgun on the way to go hunting. He had his 870 in it one time and hit a pothole and the buttstock hit him in the head, didnt hurt him just pissed him off.

Century Arms AR-15A2, 5.56
1946 Mosin-Nagant M44, 7.62x54R
1978 YUGO SKS, 7.62x39
NEF Protector Pump, 12 gauge
Savage Model 64, .22LR
NEF Pardner Tracker II, 12 gauge
Rock Island Armory 1911A1, .45 ACP
Remington 870 'Express Magnum' 12 gauge
Bersa Thunder .380

Old 04-01-2012, 08:16 PM   #30
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 20058 Times on 11409 Posts
Likes Given: 50598

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueTurf View Post
You brought up a real good point. I think anyone who leaves guns hanging on a gun rack in an unattended vehicle is asking for trouble these days. Those guns would not stay on the rack very long in a lot of places.

I remember in my younger days seeing lots of Pickups with full gun racks sitting in parking lots, but the times have changed. It is quite a different world out there now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincine View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragunovsks View Post
I never used a gunrack for 3 reasons

1. You're asking to have your window smashed and your firearm stolen by leaving it in the rack unattended.

2. Never had a truck that they would work in.

3. My fil had one in his reg cab ranger, he only used it to transport his shotgun on the way to go hunting. He had his 870 in it one time and hit a pothole and the buttstock hit him in the head, didnt hurt him just pissed him off.
i can remember a time when just about every truck had a gunrack and a gun usually in it.

absolutely correct, as it would only take a few seconds to break a window and reach in and remove a firearm from a gunrack. even if a person had an alarm, the gun would be long gone more than likely.

depends on what your profession is! like i said, i use mine for hatrack, but i can see where it could hold a level also.