Leaving gun in hot/cold car
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > Leaving gun in hot/cold car

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-19-2012, 11:55 AM   #1
Mommy, who lights the sun?
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1932 Times on 1176 Posts
Likes Given: 2082

Default Leaving gun in hot/cold car

I know I've seen a thread on the site somewhere that talked about the effects of heat buildup (or cold weather) on a gun stored in a car. I tried searching the forums and could not find it. Any suggestions? Links?

My concern is that my employer does not allow carry on the premises. I have to store my (polymer) gun in the vehicle. Hot weather can get car interior well over 120-130 degF. Of course, cold weather can get as low as the current conditions. How does heat/cold in the vehicle affect the gun and the ammo? How does cycling the temperature of the gun from normal room temperature to the extremes every day affect it?

Balota
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed." 2nd Amendment to the Constitution of the United States
Practice does NOT make perfect. Practice makes permanent. Only perfect practice makes perfect.

Check out 4th FTF Shoot & Hoot.http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f138/4th-ftf-shotgun-shoot-hoot-vanzant-mo-oct-4-5-2014-a-105142/

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-19-2012, 12:06 PM   #2
10-32
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2917 Times on 1718 Posts

Wouldn't worry about it unless you are getting condensation on it. The only thing 130 degrees might affect is the lube depending on what you use.

I don't need No stinking signature.

crazycharlie2 Likes This 
Old 06-19-2012, 12:10 PM   #3
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5671 Times on 2962 Posts
Likes Given: 375

Cars cant get hot enough to affect a gun other than drying light gun oils out over the course of the day.

Temperature has an effect on ammunition in that hotter temps increases chamber pressure colder can make some powders difficult to ignite. Its one reason i dont like +p or +p+ type ammo as they tend to be getting close to dangerous pressure levels. Especially stuff like buffalo bore brand.

Early glocks had issues with extreme heat and cold. No current production xd/m glock ruger sw etc have issues with heat or cold. Some super cheap poly guns might but im not aware of any.

I keep my carry gun in the center console while at work. No idea how prolonged heating-cooling affects ammo as i shoot the old and buy new sd rounds at least once a year.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 06-19-2012, 12:18 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 757 Times on 449 Posts
Likes Given: 477

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balota View Post
I know I've seen a thread on the site somewhere that talked about the effects of heat buildup (or cold weather) on a gun stored in a car. I tried searching the forums and could not find it. Any suggestions? Links?

My concern is that my employer does not allow carry on the premises. I have to store my (polymer) gun in the vehicle. Hot weather can get car interior well over 120-130 degF. Of course, cold weather can get as low as the current conditions. How does heat/cold in the vehicle affect the gun and the ammo? How does cycling the temperature of the gun from normal room temperature to the extremes every day affect it?

I have a Nano car vault I leave my firearm in when going to work at airport. Hope this helps.

Old 06-21-2012, 03:25 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanBaccha View Post
I have a Nano car vault I leave my firearm in when going to work at airport. Hope this helps.
Awesome! Checked out several other reviews of these vaults. All were thumbs up. Ordered one online tonight. Thanks! And thanks for your service, sir!

Balota
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed." 2nd Amendment to the Constitution of the United States
Practice does NOT make perfect. Practice makes permanent. Only perfect practice makes perfect.

Check out 4th FTF Shoot & Hoot.http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f138/4th-ftf-shotgun-shoot-hoot-vanzant-mo-oct-4-5-2014-a-105142/

Old 06-21-2012, 08:39 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 757 Times on 449 Posts
Likes Given: 477

You're mighty welcome!

Old 06-23-2012, 08:51 AM   #7

If our military can store, operate and fight with arms and munitions packed in their humvees all day in the blazing desert heat, I'm confident my gear will perform.

Last edited by ROYALE-W-CHEESE; 06-24-2012 at 04:07 AM.

Old 06-25-2012, 11:01 PM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1227 Times on 600 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Same issue with my employer and have kept either my 38 or my Ruger 8 mm in the center console for years without any problems. And I am in Florida. I also shoot up my personal defense ammo about once a year. What a good idea, it is about a year, I better go shoot!

Old 06-26-2012, 12:07 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanBaccha View Post
You're mighty welcome!
Got it today. Took all of 5 minutes to install it. I'm always nervous about getting involved with a dashboard. This time not a single hiccup. Used to worry about leaving the gun in the car. Now I don't have to worry. Hoistin' a Sam Adams in your honor as we speak!

Balota

Old 06-28-2012, 12:17 AM   #10

Liked 201 Times on 138 Posts

I leave my 1911 and my bersa .380 in my truck for long periods of time without any trouble with ammo or the weapon.

I have noticed that when i leave my 870 or NEF pump in the truck for more than a week it starts to develop some surface rust which is easily removed with a rag with gun oil on it.

Century Arms AR-15A2, 5.56
1946 Mosin-Nagant M44, 7.62x54R
1978 YUGO SKS, 7.62x39
NEF Protector Pump, 12 gauge
Savage Model 64, .22LR
NEF Pardner Tracker II, 12 gauge
Rock Island Armory 1911A1, .45 ACP
Remington 870 'Express Magnum' 12 gauge
Bersa Thunder .380