Leather vs Kydex/Blade-Tech (Plastic)
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > Leather vs Kydex/Blade-Tech (Plastic)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-02-2014, 01:09 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 573 Times on 324 Posts
Likes Given: 722

Default Leather vs Kydex/Blade-Tech (Plastic)

I've been reading a lot about the various carry techniques, holsters and guns best suited for CCW.

But I need to hear from those that have had both reasonably good leather holsters and also Kydex/Blade-Tech (plastic) holsters.

I hope Kydex isn't the best there is because I'm a little disappointed if that's the case. There seems to be several who use Kydex/Blade-Tech on another form of backing but I'm more interested in a true leather for OWB carrying.

Mine is a Blade-Tech and doesn't fit my body correctly (or my body doesn't fit it correctly), not easily re-holstered and causes the gun grip to stick out toward the side a bit more than I prefer. I'm hoping a good fitting leather will allow my belt to pull it against my hip and will better conceal when just wearing a long shirt.

The one's I've found most attractive are the Belt Slides - Galco, Bianchi Paddles, some from Holsterama (JBP) and Falco. Lots of other very beautiful leather but many are out of my price range.

Any guidance on paddle, pancake or belt slide will be appreciated.

How do leather paddles compare to Kydex/Blade-tech plastics?

~ Holsters ~

Never forget these important words:
We the People...
America, take back your country!

Last edited by wittmeba; 02-02-2014 at 01:28 AM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-02-2014, 01:18 AM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2482 Times on 1738 Posts
Likes Given: 1265

Leather, especially new, provides retention. Kydex is rigid and should release the gun easily, but has to be molded and fitted just so. Kydex holsters typically have retention tabs. You might also consider moving the holster on your waist to find a sweet spot. Say mine is at about 4:30, others feel better having it at 3 or on the weak side, etc. Paddles limit your placement somewhat, so I'd consider a belt holster first.

Old 02-02-2014, 01:39 AM   #3

Location: First 42 years in Maine Past 19 years in Alaska now back in Maine
Liked 49 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Leather for IWB for me. Kydex OWB if I am near water of any kind. Fishing or boating only because I hate getting a good leather holster wet. Plus you cant beat the smell of good leather when it is new. No smell to plastic

Old 02-02-2014, 02:08 AM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

I sure don't want to smell anything on your waist

Kydex is better concealable OWB. No leather is as thin and strong. But that wasn't the question, so ignore at your peril...

Old 02-13-2014, 12:49 AM   #5

Been looking hard at AlienGear (actually placed an order last Friday) when I stumbled upon Old Faithful Holsters.

These two are exactly alike. I mean the leather, Kydex, hardware screws, washers, color, options, warranty and try for 30 days option. You can get all the pieces to assemble your own if you want from either business.

Anyone familiar with either company? I just wonder who is copying who? This is not a fluke. I'd love to learn anything about either/both companies.

http://aliengearholsters.com/

http://oldfaithfulholsters.com/

~ Holsters ~

We the People...

Old 02-15-2014, 01:20 PM   #6

I am pretty burned-out on my holster search. Just can't find anything that is the "best" for me.

I have the Blade-Tech that comes with the M&P .40 range kit (holster, 2 additional mags, Uplula speed loader) - belt attachment only. I have worn it a few times under long light shirts but the grip heal sticks out more than I want.

I thought the AlienGear IWB would be a good choice for CWC until I saw this picture and the guys write up. I couldn't deal with it.

I had one on order - 3-4 weeks delivery. Decided to cancel the order and I ordered a paddle attachment for the Blade-Tech. It should certainly make putting it on/off much simpler if nothing else. It might pull the holster a bit closer to my hip and reduce the protrusion of the grip. Cheapest option for me at this time - pure economics.

Now I'm thinking if I had a left hand Blade-Tech shell I could use the attachment side to attach 2 metal clips (buy at hardware store) and just glue a large piece of soft material to the other side and use it for a IWB holster. I know they are offered but I'm trying to do as much myself and save some $$$.

~ Holsters ~

We the People...

Old 02-16-2014, 02:49 PM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

I think its a good idea, if you want Kydex IWB. A self adhesive "no scratch" felt pad should stick well to Kydex.

Blade Tech was pleasant to deal with. They did not list my exact model, but offered to adjust the mold for it, and did fine.

Old 02-16-2014, 04:18 PM   #8

Liked 1983 Times on 1091 Posts
Likes Given: 1324

A paddle is actually more versatile than a belt holster. I have seen people put the paddle between their belt and their pants. I have no idea why they use them that way. I wear a belt. But the paddle goes inside my pants. That way the belt loops do not limit where you can place the holster. Also if you need to remove a paddle holster it can be done in seconds without removing your belt.

Romans 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.

Last edited by Rick1967; 02-16-2014 at 04:21 PM.

Old 02-16-2014, 07:39 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercator View Post
I think its a good idea, if you want Kydex IWB. A self adhesive "no scratch" felt pad should stick well to Kydex.
Just what I'm thinking. The reason for a lefty version is to put the holes on the outermost side to add belt-clips.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick1967 View Post
A paddle is actually more versatile than a belt holster. I have seen people put the paddle between their belt and their pants. I have no idea why they use them that way. I wear a belt. But the paddle goes inside my pants. That way the belt loops do not limit where you can place the holster. Also if you need to remove a paddle holster it can be done in seconds without removing your belt.
Yes...just looped over their belt.

Complete with a paddle:
http://shop.blade-tech.com/revolution-94045-p-384.html#!prettyPhoto[Product]/2/

Yeah...it would be like just dropping something in your pocket (inside your pants). I have a paddle on order for my existing Blade-Tech - should be here in less than a week.

I'd like to get a couple Blade-Tech shells to do some development/experimenting with.

~ Holsters ~

We the People...

Last edited by wittmeba; 02-16-2014 at 07:53 PM.

Old 02-22-2014, 02:20 PM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2032 Times on 1395 Posts
Likes Given: 772

I have a plain ole nylon Blackhawk paddle holster. It is one of the more comfortable holsters I own. If the belly band was not working so well, the cheapo Blackhawk would be my EDC. That says a lot about the concept of a paddle holster.

wittmeba, your body type doesn't flatter a gun carried at 3 o'clock. We all hate doing this, but you will conceal a gun better at 1 or 2 o'clock.

Nothing in the affairs of men is worthy of great anxiety - Plato