Leather & Sweat

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > Leather & Sweat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-14-2013, 04:28 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default Leather & Sweat

I have an outside the waistband Mitch-Rosen formed leather holster for my Ruger LCR. After a vigorous afternoon walk the holster may get a little damp.

What is the best way to keep its form and retention capabilities while drying out?

50078_l.jpg  

HAVE FUN

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-16-2013, 02:54 PM   #2
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2724 Times on 1327 Posts
Likes Given: 1386

tiller,

Unfortunately sweat is a definite enemy of leather products. Basically the only thing that you can do to slow down it's effect on your leather holster is when you return home to get a damp cloth with straight water on it and wipe the holster down good to slow down the effect of the salt that is produced by sweating. Do not saturate the leather just wipe it with the well moistened cloth. Let it air dry. There is no good answer that I know of just one of those things you can slow down the effects.

The Constitution is not an instrument for the Government to restrain the people. It is an instrument for the people to restrain the Government!
*Patrick Henry

Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom."

-- John F. Kennedy

Last edited by Sniper03; 07-16-2013 at 05:45 PM.

Old 07-16-2013, 04:48 PM   #3

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

While it is drying, gun in or out of the holster?

I have always used pocket holsters and this is my first leather belt holster. For the price of it, I am hoping it last for a good amount of time.

HAVE FUN

Old 07-16-2013, 06:54 PM   #4

Liked 2395 Times on 1401 Posts
Likes Given: 538

Gun out of the holster. There are "shape guns" that holster makers use to form the holsters. You may be able to find one of those if you are worried about the moisture making your leather holster lose hape as it dries empty.

Old 07-16-2013, 07:17 PM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 990 Times on 653 Posts
Likes Given: 1274

Take gun from holster wipe down, and allow holster to air dry.

Become steel or get cut.