Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > Lawyers with C.C. specialty - who has used them?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-03-2013, 08:16 PM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1706 Times on 890 Posts
Likes Given: 341

Default Lawyers with C.C. specialty - who has used them?

I just recently completed my C.C. qualification class in Minnesota. The class was 5 hours, 3 1/2 of which was situational and legal discussions. Class summary - in just about every circumstance you can imagine, if you shoot someone you are going to get arrested. Good chance you will be held 48-72 hours. The class instructor recommended have a C.C. - friendly lawyer on retainer if you are going to carry.

Is this a common practice? Or is having a few phone numbers in your wallet good enough? Thoughts?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-03-2013, 11:12 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 738 Times on 451 Posts
Likes Given: 155

in your wallet is not good enough. you need to have made contact with them ahead of time, and someone you'd call needs to have their number(s) too. I have the personal cell phone numbers of my GP attorney, and one 2A attorney. Another 2A attorney still uses a 24hr answering service. Looking into a third 2A attorney.

Old 03-04-2013, 02:03 AM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1563 Times on 932 Posts
Likes Given: 778

In Alabama the law specifically states you will not be arrested if you use deadly force in self defense.
I am glad I live here!!!!

An armed society is not always a polite society, but it is a free and safe society!
Self Defense is an absolute and natural right!
Keep your head down and your powder dry!

Old 03-04-2013, 02:09 AM   #4

Liked 4787 Times on 2678 Posts
Likes Given: 1736

You will not be arrested in most cases. The point is you can be detained. You can be held up to 72 Hrs. in any state.

Last edited by nitestalker; 03-04-2013 at 02:13 AM.

Old 03-04-2013, 02:58 PM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1706 Times on 890 Posts
Likes Given: 341

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitestalker View Post
You will not be arrested in most cases. The point is you can be detained. You can be held up to 72 Hrs. in any state.
agreed meant to say detained, not arrested

Old 03-04-2013, 03:52 PM   #6

Liked 1115 Times on 583 Posts
Likes Given: 49

As a former Assistant Criminal District Attorney and 20 year criminal defense attorney in Texas, let me say that, if questioned by the police, give ONLY the bare minimum of information necessary until you talk to an attorney. Do not SIGN a statement without an attorney. The magic words are: "I will be happy to cooporate with you, and will have MY LAWYER call to set up an appointment."

Old 03-04-2013, 04:42 PM   #7

Liked 175 Times on 112 Posts
Likes Given: 49

Here is one outfit that can sign you up for legal defense in advance. Beyond the web site and one magazine article about them, I have nothing extra to offer. It looks like an interesting deal , but I have never heard from anyone that has used them.

http://www.armedcitizensnetwork.org/

Old 03-04-2013, 05:08 PM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 524 Times on 318 Posts
Likes Given: 201

In Texas there is a group of three lawyers that set up a firm to protect those who CC. It's called Texas Law Shield and they work kind of like an insurance company. You buy a yearly membership and get a card that has their response number and something to hand the police that says something like "I will talk when I have my lawyer". If you have to use it, you can call their number 24/7 and talk to an actual lawyer that will tell you what to say and then come out to the crime scene to represent you at no charge. Pretty cool deal if you ask me. Never had to use that service though, thank God.

Practice doesn't make perfect, it make permanent.

When I hear a Liberal say "I can speak for gun owners because I own a shotgun" I just want to scream "Well I can speak for vegetarians because I like lettuce on my cheeseburger!"

Old 03-04-2013, 06:11 PM   #9

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fa35jsf
In Texas there is a group of three lawyers that set up a firm to protect those who CC. It's called Texas Law Shield and they work kind of like an insurance company. You buy a yearly membership and get a card that has their response number and something to hand the police that says something like "I will talk when I have my lawyer". If you have to use it, you can call their number 24/7 and talk to an actual lawyer that will tell you what to say and then come out to the crime scene to represent you at no charge. Pretty cool deal if you ask me. Never had to use that service though, thank God.
Came here to post this. Joined last month hehe.

Old 03-05-2013, 01:07 AM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1563 Times on 932 Posts
Likes Given: 778

I was allowed to delete this I did it my way!

An armed society is not always a polite society, but it is a free and safe society!
Self Defense is an absolute and natural right!
Keep your head down and your powder dry!

Last edited by JimRau; 03-05-2013 at 03:02 PM.