Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f17/)
-   -   Lawyers with C.C. specialty - who has used them? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f17/lawyers-c-c-specialty-who-has-used-them-85693/)

chloeshooter 03-03-2013 08:16 PM

Lawyers with C.C. specialty - who has used them?

I just recently completed my C.C. qualification class in Minnesota. The class was 5 hours, 3 1/2 of which was situational and legal discussions. Class summary - in just about every circumstance you can imagine, if you shoot someone you are going to get arrested. Good chance you will be held 48-72 hours. The class instructor recommended have a C.C. - friendly lawyer on retainer if you are going to carry.

Is this a common practice? Or is having a few phone numbers in your wallet good enough? Thoughts?

partdeux 03-03-2013 11:12 PM

in your wallet is not good enough. you need to have made contact with them ahead of time, and someone you'd call needs to have their number(s) too. I have the personal cell phone numbers of my GP attorney, and one 2A attorney. Another 2A attorney still uses a 24hr answering service. Looking into a third 2A attorney.

JimRau 03-04-2013 02:03 AM

In Alabama the law specifically states you will not be arrested if you use deadly force in self defense.
I am glad I live here!!!!:D

nitestalker 03-04-2013 02:09 AM

You will not be arrested in most cases. The point is you can be detained. You can be held up to 72 Hrs. in any state.:(

chloeshooter 03-04-2013 02:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nitestalker (Post 1162684)
You will not be arrested in most cases. The point is you can be detained. You can be held up to 72 Hrs. in any state.:(

agreed meant to say detained, not arrested

txpossum 03-04-2013 03:52 PM

As a former Assistant Criminal District Attorney and 20 year criminal defense attorney in Texas, let me say that, if questioned by the police, give ONLY the bare minimum of information necessary until you talk to an attorney. Do not SIGN a statement without an attorney. The magic words are: "I will be happy to cooporate with you, and will have MY LAWYER call to set up an appointment."

JWagner 03-04-2013 04:42 PM

Here is one outfit that can sign you up for legal defense in advance. Beyond the web site and one magazine article about them, I have nothing extra to offer. It looks like an interesting deal , but I have never heard from anyone that has used them.

http://www.armedcitizensnetwork.org/

fa35jsf 03-04-2013 05:08 PM

In Texas there is a group of three lawyers that set up a firm to protect those who CC. It's called Texas Law Shield and they work kind of like an insurance company. You buy a yearly membership and get a card that has their response number and something to hand the police that says something like "I will talk when I have my lawyer". If you have to use it, you can call their number 24/7 and talk to an actual lawyer that will tell you what to say and then come out to the crime scene to represent you at no charge. Pretty cool deal if you ask me. Never had to use that service though, thank God.

gfroniewski 03-04-2013 06:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fa35jsf
In Texas there is a group of three lawyers that set up a firm to protect those who CC. It's called Texas Law Shield and they work kind of like an insurance company. You buy a yearly membership and get a card that has their response number and something to hand the police that says something like "I will talk when I have my lawyer". If you have to use it, you can call their number 24/7 and talk to an actual lawyer that will tell you what to say and then come out to the crime scene to represent you at no charge. Pretty cool deal if you ask me. Never had to use that service though, thank God.

Came here to post this. Joined last month hehe.

JimRau 03-05-2013 01:07 AM

I was allowed to delete this I did it my way!:D