Laser on a Concealed Carry Weapon? - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > Laser on a Concealed Carry Weapon?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-01-2014, 02:04 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Location: Eatonville,Washington. My nearest neighbors are cows.
Liked 2022 Times on 1117 Posts
Likes Given: 6040

I have the crimson trace 1911 grip laser. It's there and it works.
It is my EDC, with night sights (tritium) and laser. I shoot more moles and racoons than anything. Laser works fine for racoons under stump piles.

Old 04-01-2014, 02:33 PM   #12

Liked 175 Times on 118 Posts
Likes Given: 20

I have a CT lasers on three of my CC guns. I have also attended three Low Light laser SD courses. The classes reduced my time from draw to target hit times on stationary, moving targets, moving targets and moving shooter.

‘‘We, the People are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts — not to overthrow the Constitution, but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution.’’
— Abraham Lincoln

Old 04-01-2014, 02:54 PM   #13
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 186 Times on 125 Posts
Likes Given: 501

Default LaserMax

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLOCK23LOVER4LIFE View Post
I've been thinking about adding a laser on my Everyday Carry gun. Since most or a lot of self defense situations take place at night, a laser may be an added advantage. Looking to get opinions from fellow CCW Holders.
I'll have to say that I love lasers. Some of the comments one currently hears about lasers are exactly the same as one heard when night sights first appeared on the market. I even had some of the old gun rags from the era where the then-current gun writers railed about them being gimmicks, a fad, never last, etc., etc. Well, now they are well accepted and a common accessory. One of my students bought a Crimson Trace and I got to tinker with it a bit and my life-long friend, Kenny Hackathorn, is a spokesman for CT. They stand by them. I didn't like the activation for the CT so I tried LaserMax and really loved it. At first, like the rest at the time, I was a bit skeptical, until one match night, Jim, a friend and colleague of mine (who happened to own a gun shop) brought a LaserMax internal guide rod laser in his personal Glock. I had already shot the match and had the fastest time of the night, when Jim coaxed and coaxed me into reshooting the match with his gun to try the laser. Well, I did the reshoot (it was only $5) and I did it in half the time with the laser. Wow! I was impressed! So I bought one and I've used it since. I don't watch the bouncing dot nor do I turn it on at the buzzer and use it straight through till the end. I only use it when I need to and that's something that becomes apparent with practice. I don't use it in the daylight but any low-light situation makes it "shine," like going into a shoot-house from the bright outdoors or in the shadows on an overcast day, or, of course, at night. No fumbling to turn it on with the Glock, it is just pushing the slide stop to the side and is as natural as thumbing off the safety on a 1911. It is easy to learn and easy to use. I still use my Novak Night Sights and my Insight Tactical Illuminator and my LaserMax as just another tool of the night. I would wholeheartedly recommend it.
― The Rukh
"Ignorance is treatable - stupidity is terminal."
― The Rukh
rifleman1 Likes This 
Old 04-01-2014, 03:35 PM   #14

Liked 496 Times on 305 Posts
Likes Given: 1624

I completely disagree with lasers. Do NOT get used to something that requires batteries to function. Murphy's Law states that the ONE time you need it is the ONLY time it won't function properly. Train with night sights.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skullcrusher View Post
Yea, um, Darin...that's in the Double Secret Bunker. :p
Quote:
Originally Posted by orangello View Post
Hookers and optics, cheap is usually a warning.

www.loryno.com

Old 04-01-2014, 03:57 PM   #15
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6722 Times on 3578 Posts
Likes Given: 504

Quote:
Originally Posted by therukh View Post
I'll have to say that I love lasers. Some of the comments one currently hears about lasers are exactly the same as one heard when night sights first appeared on the market. I even had some of the old gun rags from the era where the then-current gun writers railed about them being gimmicks, a fad, never last, etc., etc. Well, now they are well accepted and a common accessory. One of my students bought a Crimson Trace and I got to tinker with it a bit and my life-long friend, Kenny Hackathorn, is a spokesman for CT. They stand by them. I didn't like the activation for the CT so I tried LaserMax and really loved it. At first, like the rest at the time, I was a bit skeptical, until one match night, Jim, a friend and colleague of mine (who happened to own a gun shop) brought a LaserMax internal guide rod laser in his personal Glock. I had already shot the match and had the fastest time of the night, when Jim coaxed and coaxed me into reshooting the match with his gun to try the laser. Well, I did the reshoot (it was only $5) and I did it in half the time with the laser. Wow! I was impressed! So I bought one and I've used it since. I don't watch the bouncing dot nor do I turn it on at the buzzer and use it straight through till the end. I only use it when I need to and that's something that becomes apparent with practice. I don't use it in the daylight but any low-light situation makes it "shine," like going into a shoot-house from the bright outdoors or in the shadows on an overcast day, or, of course, at night. No fumbling to turn it on with the Glock, it is just pushing the slide stop to the side and is as natural as thumbing off the safety on a 1911. It is easy to learn and easy to use. I still use my Novak Night Sights and my Insight Tactical Illuminator and my LaserMax as just another tool of the night. I would wholeheartedly recommend it.
Shooting on a range is not the same as shooting at a live moving goblin trying to kill you. Goblins arent sheets of paper hanging on a cardboard backer.

I strongly recommend putting a training barrel in your gun or making it safe by removing the barrel or inserting a chamber block getting a friend and trying it on live moving person who is only 7 yards away or closer. 7 yards or less is the max range of 90% self defense actions take place. Try different kinds of clothing under different lighting.

Its eye opening. Its why i took up cowboy action shooting. I want to develop that draw and shoot without using sights muscle memmory.

If you want a laser go for it. Train without it you dont have time when it drops in the pot. All im trying to get across is real sd actions cannot be replicated by shooting at paper. You need proper safe training aids and partner to train with
"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

"I crapped my pants to avoid the draft!!" -Ted Nugent

Last edited by JonM; 04-01-2014 at 04:01 PM.

Old 04-01-2014, 04:31 PM   #16

Liked 2450 Times on 1436 Posts
Likes Given: 559

My LCP was obtained in a trade and it came with a Crimson Trace laser. I have been pretty anti-laser for the sake of bulk, weight, and just complicating the platform a bit. I am leaving it on and seeing how I really like it. The CT is pretty unobtrusive, and the sights on the LCP are very minimal (not that a gun with it's intended purpose really needs excellent sights.) I'm trying to give the laser a fair shake, but expect that it will be coming off eventually.
rifleman1 Likes This 
Old 04-01-2014, 05:50 PM   #17

Liked 459 Times on 293 Posts
Likes Given: 1409

There is nothing wrong with having a laser on your gun just like having night sights,if you train with them they can be a life saving tool but if you just throw them on and expect results you are fooling yourself.
But to outright dismiss them is not an educated decision unless you have used and know for a fact they do not work for you, I choose not to have night sights on my guns because I do not like them because I do a lot of point and shoot training and do not really need the night sight but that's just my opinion I would not dismiss them as a useful tool though.
Old 04-01-2014, 07:48 PM   #18
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3729 Times on 2286 Posts
Likes Given: 1224

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoHawk View Post
I completely disagree with lasers. Do NOT get used to something that requires batteries to function. Murphy's Law states that the ONE time you need it is the ONLY time it won't function properly. Train with night sights.
This is basically my mindset.

I also worry about becoming dependant upon them and therefore hurting my marksmanship fundamentals.

But lasers are like everything else in the gun world. Your gun, your choice. While I don't necessarily agree with lasers, I don't begrudge those who like them.
People Like This 
Old 04-02-2014, 01:29 AM   #19
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 186 Times on 125 Posts
Likes Given: 501

Default Multifaceted Training

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
Shooting on a range is not the same as shooting at a live moving goblin trying to kill you. Goblins arent sheets of paper hanging on a cardboard backer.

I strongly recommend putting a training barrel in your gun or making it safe by removing the barrel or inserting a chamber block getting a friend and trying it on live moving person who is only 7 yards away or closer. 7 yards or less is the max range of 90% self defense actions take place. Try different kinds of clothing under different lighting.

Its eye opening. Its why i took up cowboy action shooting. I want to develop that draw and shoot without using sights muscle memmory.

If you want a laser go for it. Train without it you dont have time when it drops in the pot. All im trying to get across is real sd actions cannot be replicated by shooting at paper. You need proper safe training aids and partner to train with

Well, of course I agree! Real sd actions can't be replicated by shooting at paper hanging on a cardboard backer. Sd training must be multifaceted and include, among other things, unloaded practice on the range and at home. Drawing, reloading, shooting around corners and from awkward positions are all things that need practiced, both live fire and unloaded, and with the laser if you have one. I also recommend training barrels and the type of "laser tag" of which you speak, as well as, training courses and classes conducted by competent instructors. I also like cowboy shooting as good practice, but training must include shooting day matches and night matches (also night multi-gun & cowboy matches if you can afford them). After all, matches are just training exercises other people devise and you pay your fee and try out your techniques. If your club is only shooting static paper targets on cardboard backers. I would suggest shooting at different clubs so you get a cross section of types of matches. I like shooting at clubs whose targets include moving, waving, flipping, flopping, turning. dropping & disappearing targets, both paper and steel. Shooting at night is as different as bullseye is from IPSC/IDPA. Night matches have their own dynamics and quickly teaches what works and, more importantly, what doesn't. As I said in an earlier post, the laser doesn't get turned on when the buzzer sounds and off when the shooters is asked to, "Unload and show clear." Learn to shoot without them and use them as you would any other tool. They are not a universal tool, but specialized and you'll learn that quickly when you train with them and use them in night matches. What impressed me so much when I shot one for the first time was the ease with which I picked up someone else's gun and shot it using the laser in half the time of my already smoking run. Too, I've seen the shooters who lean on the laser as the only way to shoot a night match and it is a bit pathetic. Imagine...the buzzer goes off and you see and hear someone fumbling in the dark trying to draw the gun, then the light comes on, then finally the laser. By now any goblin in the vicinity would have perforated the shooter/defender many times over. That is what we try to train out of shooters and in most cases it works. I agree that lasers are not for everyone, but they are a wonderful tool that can help if used correctly.
― The Rukh
"Ignorance is treatable - stupidity is terminal."
― The Rukh
rifleman1 Likes This 
Old 04-02-2014, 02:12 AM   #20

Liked 2138 Times on 1172 Posts
Likes Given: 1387

My wife has a laser on her J Frame. Complete waste of money. If someone attacks you in bright light you can't see the dot. Hers is not the Crimson Trace. You have to push a button on the back of the laser to turn it on. She wanted it to play with. But she finds it totally worthless.
Romans 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.