Kydex creaking
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > Kydex creaking

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-06-2011, 03:18 PM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 42 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 53

Default Kydex creaking

Earlier this year, I bought a Crossbreed Supertuck holster for my XD(M) 4.5. It's comfortable and well-made, but it creaks. Even after carrying with it for a while. I think the creaking comes from the holster rubbing against the belt/waist of my pants. I have an all-leather IWB holster for my Hi-Power that doesn't creak.

When I say "creak," I mean it's loud enough that people around me occasionally turn their heads to see what that noise is.

Does anybody else have this problem? Is it the kydex? Personally, I would have thought the leather holster would be more likely to creak, but not this one. I've used different belts, and I do change my pants regularly, so I've ruled those out.

Any ideas?

"An armed society is a polite society." — Robert A. Heinlein

"After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. I sure as hell wouldn't want to live in a society where the only people allowed guns are the police and the military."
— William S. Burroughs

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-06-2011, 05:59 PM   #2

Liked 42 Times on 34 Posts

Not for sure about the "creak" you're talking about. I've carried w/a supertuck and g17 for awhile w/o any creaking. Call or email crossbreed bro, they will bend over backwards to help you out. I came home a couple of weeks ago and was toting around the Glock, got home, took my holster off and down the leg of my pants goes my clip. I was like wth?!!! I emailed crossbreed and simply just asked if they knew where I could buy a replacement screw and washer hardware to fix it, Marty replied back within hours and shipped me some new hardware to fix it and got it within 2 days of sending the email. (Granted I only live 3 hours away but still) I'm sure they can hook you up or give you some info on how to fix.
Good luck

"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom."
~John F. Kennedy

Old 10-08-2011, 10:01 PM   #3

Liked 42 Times on 34 Posts

Update? Get it figured out yet?

"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom."
~John F. Kennedy

Old 10-08-2011, 10:24 PM   #4

Liked 1419 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Phil, when you call xbreed tell them that the guys on FTF are now recommending Theis Holsters instead of the supertuck because of the fit and finish and price!

Crossbreed has dropped in quality and increased in price similar to Kimber. Probably for the same reason.

CCW Holster Thread

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 10-09-2011, 07:01 PM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by g17frantz View Post
Update? Get it figured out yet?
I had felt like the noise was caused by rubbing of the kydex against either the fabric of my pants or the top of my belt. I'm going to wear it around tomorrow and give it another listen.

I had wondered if it was a problem common to kydex IWB holsters.

"After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. I sure as hell wouldn't want to live in a society where the only people allowed guns are the police and the military."
— William S. Burroughs

Old 10-09-2011, 09:52 PM   #6

I had some creaking with my holster from Theis. He recommends rubbing baby powder in the area that creaks. It works. Also heard one guy using DuPont dry telfon spray lubricant. I'll stick to baby powder.

Old 10-10-2011, 03:05 AM   #7
AOK

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I had the same issue a couple years ago when I switched to kydex. I ended up putting a piece of Velcro (the soft side) on the inside of the kydex loop that comes in contact with the belt. 99% of the creaking went away and on the occasion you hear the much quieter and isolated creak it's because you are intentionally listening for it. I've been doing it for two years now and it works great. I highly recommend it to anyone having a similar problem.

Old 10-11-2011, 02:36 PM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Thanks for the suggestions! I think I'll give the Velcro thing a try.

— William S. Burroughs