knife ccw
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > knife ccw

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-27-2008, 12:57 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Likes Given: 2

Default knife ccw

i am not 21 yet so i can not legally own/carry a pistol in NYS... which sucks, but i still want some form of protection...

I am thinking of getting some type of knife, and hiding it on my person so the average person would not know i had a knife on me... i am an electrician and use a razor blade daily, but something bigger and more threatening is what i am looking for... if some one comes at me swinging, i want some kind of knife that is easy access and will scare um off..

what is a good type of knife, and a holster, or where to put it...

i am looking to spend under 50 bucks for this set-up.. money is tight, and the cheaper the better...

thanks, Erick

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-27-2008, 02:00 AM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 9132 Times on 3945 Posts
Likes Given: 1423

First, spend some time researching YOUR state law. Here in VA, you can get a Carry Concealed Weapon license for a handgun, but not for a knife. In Mass, a double edged knife is forbidden, in AZ, a butterfly knife is a no-no. You may find restrictions on blade length of folding knives, lock-blades, etc.

Now, having said that, a good quality folder with a 3 inch blade, a blade lock, an opener stud, carried in a belt case would be my choice- because my Gerber Mk 1 was readily accepted in a military setting, but would be a bit awkward in the civilian world.

Old 09-27-2008, 02:05 AM   #3

http://www.thehighroad.org/library/blades/knifelaws.html

what is a bali...

besides that, there is no length law, or any of much telling me what i cant have.. i stay out of the big cities..

Old 09-27-2008, 02:16 AM   #4

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3479 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

I just don't think you are going to get a very good, reliable and strong pocket knife for under $50.

As for manufacturers that make good, strong and sharp knives out of the box, I have two.

Cold Steel makes some great knives and they pride themselves on reliability and sharpness. They frequently have sales for some of their more common production models, so you might be able to find one for under $100. I have two Cold Steel knives & two of their machetes. They make a great product. It's strong steel, it holds and keeps an edge and it's covered by the manufacturer if anything breaks.

SOG Knives makes some of the sharpest knives, out of the box, that I have ever tested. I own 7 SOG knives, and each one is very good, very sharp and very well made. Their Arc-Lock is one of the fastest opening, and strongest lock ups, that isn't a gravity or spring assist, in the market.

JD

Old 09-27-2008, 02:22 AM   #5

"Gravity knife" means any
knife has blade which is released from the handle or
sheath thereof by the force of gravity of the application
of centrifugal force which, when released, is locked in
place by means of a button, spring, lever, or other
device. [Note: In NYC, and potentially in other NY
jurisdictions, this definition is construed to apply to
ANY folding knife with a blade that locks open. ]

so with this NY law.. any folding knife is possible to be an illegal knife, given proper circumstances...

i have been looking at different court cases about how the judge ruled what made a knife illegal, and apparently it all depends on if the lawyer was good or bad...

if you lived in NY, where the size definitely does not matter, would you buy a folder and keep it in your pocket, where else would you keep it concealed?

Old 09-27-2008, 02:26 AM   #6

If you can go with a fixed blade without conflict, the small of the back and a long shirt or jacket is a great place to carry. Get a horizontal sheath system and you are good to go...

JD

Old 09-27-2008, 02:38 AM   #7

where do you get sheaths?

what you described sounds like a good idea

Old 09-27-2008, 02:41 AM   #8

Most knife manufacturers offer a sheath with their fixed blades that can be worn either on the leg or utility vest, vertical, or at the small of the back, horizontal. You just need to check the description before ordering.

All of my fixed blades could be made to be worn at the small of the back. my Mission Titanium, which is my primary fixed blade of choice, has a pretty standard sheath system that is MOLLE compatible and can be worn in any application.

JD

Old 09-27-2008, 02:57 AM   #9

i did not realize that with the small of back place, it was as easy as getting the sheeth and puting it on your belt...

now to go look at some knives... i dont like shoping online, but bass pro shops should have a few nice ones...

still debating on fixed blade vs folder... all depends which feels better in my hand i guess..

thanks for the help... will most likely keep the knife in my SOB... never would of thought of that...

Old 09-27-2008, 03:04 AM   #10

Given your enviro - if what you posted is indeed the law, I think that a fixed blade in the 4" or so blade length will serve you better than a folder that could be "said" to be illegal by the local Johnny Law...

Good luck.

JD