Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > This kinda sucks...

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-24-2013, 11:36 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
70cuda383's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Marysville,OH
Posts: 499
Liked 118 Times on 87 Posts

Default This kinda sucks...

man is indicted for manslaughter when he shoots intruder, Police say man was outside the house when shot

http://www.10tv.com/content/stories/2013/01/24/columbus-man-charged-following-shooting-suspected-intruder.html



I can't really pass judgement without knowing more details. did the man present the weapon and the intruder dove out the window, and as he was running away the man inside the house ran to the window and started shooting at the intruder as he ran across the lawn?

or did the man inside present his weapon, the intruder continued to advance into the house, and the man fired, the intruder fell down, the person ran to the window and the intruder started to get back up?

in one case I can clearly see the manslaughter charge as the intruder is running away across the lawn.

in the other case, I think the person still had a belief that he was in danger, when the intruder continued to advance into the house even AFTER seeing the homeowner with a gun, and after he was shot, and getting back up, how was the home owner to know if the intruder was coming back for round 2, or getting up to leave?

I'd have to be on the Jury so I can hear all the evidence before I could actually pass judgement on this one.



__________________
70cuda383 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here


Old 01-24-2013, 12:02 PM   #2
tips his hat...
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
rocshaman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: KanOkla
Posts: 3,279
Liked 2139 Times on 1344 Posts
Likes Given: 2159

Default

Looks like a perversion of justice to me. If you're gonna invade someone's home, you better be prepared to face the consequences. The guy wouldn't have got shot if he'd stayed home and out of other people's houses.



__________________
rocshaman is offline  
2
People Like This 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 12:16 PM   #3
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
70cuda383's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Marysville,OH
Posts: 499
Liked 118 Times on 87 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocshaman View Post
Looks like a perversion of justice to me. If you're gonna invade someone's home, you better be prepared to face the consequences. The guy wouldn't have got shot if he'd stayed home and out of other people's houses.
I agree completely, however, the justice system is always biased towards the bad guy, and it's hard to claim self-defense when you shoot someone in the back.


hopefully a good lawyer will help the guy out "my client fired at the home invader, because he thought the evildoer was running to get a weapon of his own, and this brother, this son, who's never done anything wrong, was trying to defend the lives of his innocent and defenseless family members"
__________________
70cuda383 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 12:31 PM   #4
62 gr Fusion
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Squawk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 865
Liked 190 Times on 127 Posts

Default

Sadly, a educated gun owner knows two things.

1. If someone breaks in your house, you better shoot them while they are in the house.

2. If you shoot someone outside of your house, you need to be able to prove that you felt your life was in danger.

Is it right? No. But it is what it is.

__________________

If guns kill people, mine are defective.

Squawk is offline  
winds-of-change Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 02:33 PM   #5
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
HOSSFLY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Lufkin,Tx
Posts: 6,904
Liked 2149 Times on 1450 Posts
Likes Given: 1172

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70cuda383 View Post
man is indicted for manslaughter when he shoots intruder, Police say man was outside the house when shot

http://www.10tv.com/content/stories/2013/01/24/columbus-man-charged-following-shooting-suspected-intruder.html



I can't really pass judgement without knowing more details. did the man present the weapon and the intruder dove out the window, and as he was running away the man inside the house ran to the window and started shooting at the intruder as he ran across the lawn?

or did the man inside present his weapon, the intruder continued to advance into the house, and the man fired, the intruder fell down, the person ran to the window and the intruder started to get back up?

in one case I can clearly see the manslaughter charge as the intruder is running away across the lawn.

in the other case, I think the person still had a belief that he was in danger, when the intruder continued to advance into the house even AFTER seeing the homeowner with a gun, and after he was shot, and getting back up, how was the home owner to know if the intruder was coming back for round 2, or getting up to leave?

I'd have to be on the Jury so I can hear all the evidence before I could actually pass judgement on this one.
Sucks bad but in some places thats the law- Shoot the sumbitch IN your house or not at all-
__________________

Texan By Birth & Choice
USMC/VIET NAM VET

HOSSFLY is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 01:11 AM   #6
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
BeyondTheBox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 2,479
Liked 257 Times on 227 Posts

Default

What's really interesting, maddening, is what passes for evidence these days.

__________________
BeyondTheBox is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 06:02 AM   #7
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Camoking1206's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 6
Default

If he fell out of a two story house wouldn't there be evidence of the fall? Broken ribs? Bruising of any sort?

__________________
Camoking1206 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 06:13 AM   #8
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
 
Vikingdad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Santa Cruz Mountains,CA
Posts: 13,086
Liked 7364 Times on 4266 Posts
Likes Given: 9480

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camoking1206 View Post
If he fell out of a two story house wouldn't there be evidence of the fall? Broken ribs? Bruising of any sort?
Dead men don't bruise. If he was dead (or nearly so) when he hit the ground then the body would not have any bruises.

They should have dragged his ass back into the house before the cops got there. May be tampering with evidence but would they be any worse off?

The cops I have talked to say that by the time they arrive at my place the body better be inside and approaching room temperature and the body best have a gun in its hand, preferably with a round or more fired from that gun. They have said I should confirm this before calling 911.
__________________

Shoot me an email at vikingdad995@gmail.com

Check out the Firearmstalk Podcasts with Vikingdad and DrFootball! https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/firearms-talk-podcast/id778007899

Quote:
"Among the many misdeeds of British rule in India, history will look upon the Act depriving a whole nation of arms as the blackest."
- Mohandas Gandhi, an Autobiography, page 446.
Vikingdad is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 11:22 AM   #9
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
70cuda383's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Marysville,OH
Posts: 499
Liked 118 Times on 87 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikingdad View Post
Dead men don't bruise. If he was dead (or nearly so) when he hit the ground then the body would not have any bruises.

They should have dragged his ass back into the house before the cops got there. May be tampering with evidence but would they be any worse off?

The cops I have talked to say that by the time they arrive at my place the body better be inside and approaching room temperature and the body best have a gun in its hand, preferably with a round or more fired from that gun. They have said I should confirm this before calling 911.
Enter "the throw away gun" haha.


Like I said in above posts...There's no way to knowing if this is a legit case of manslaughter or if there's a DA out to make a statement, from just a media article. Only way to know is to be in the courtroom during the trial to hear the evidence presented.

Funny thing is, I found that story yesterday while looking at the local news channel's website to see if my kid's school had another delay due to sub zero wind chill. pulled up the website and BOOM, there it was front and center
__________________
70cuda383 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 11:23 AM   #10
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
70cuda383's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Marysville,OH
Posts: 499
Liked 118 Times on 87 Posts

Default

Just noticed this got moved....sorry for putting int the wrong spot originally...my thoughts were "media story about a gun owner being prosecuted...fits in the "firearms in the media" section.



__________________
70cuda383 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Firearms Forum Replies Last Post
What kinda bow? HomieDontUKnowMe Other Weapons 11 04-10-2013 02:04 PM
This kinda sucks ksilva The Club House 17 12-20-2012 10:22 PM
Kinda DIY jeepcreep927 DIY Projects 4 03-11-2011 08:03 PM
kinda plinking kinda shtf kinda cheap waxman895 Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion 17 07-25-2010 11:05 AM