Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f17/)
-   -   This kinda sucks... (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f17/kinda-sucks-82303/)

70cuda383 01-24-2013 11:36 AM

This kinda sucks...

man is indicted for manslaughter when he shoots intruder, Police say man was outside the house when shot

http://www.10tv.com/content/stories/2013/01/24/columbus-man-charged-following-shooting-suspected-intruder.html

I can't really pass judgement without knowing more details. did the man present the weapon and the intruder dove out the window, and as he was running away the man inside the house ran to the window and started shooting at the intruder as he ran across the lawn?

or did the man inside present his weapon, the intruder continued to advance into the house, and the man fired, the intruder fell down, the person ran to the window and the intruder started to get back up?

in one case I can clearly see the manslaughter charge as the intruder is running away across the lawn.

in the other case, I think the person still had a belief that he was in danger, when the intruder continued to advance into the house even AFTER seeing the homeowner with a gun, and after he was shot, and getting back up, how was the home owner to know if the intruder was coming back for round 2, or getting up to leave?

I'd have to be on the Jury so I can hear all the evidence before I could actually pass judgement on this one.

rocshaman 01-24-2013 12:02 PM

Looks like a perversion of justice to me. If you're gonna invade someone's home, you better be prepared to face the consequences. The guy wouldn't have got shot if he'd stayed home and out of other people's houses.

70cuda383 01-24-2013 12:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rocshaman (Post 1107956)
Looks like a perversion of justice to me. If you're gonna invade someone's home, you better be prepared to face the consequences. The guy wouldn't have got shot if he'd stayed home and out of other people's houses.

I agree completely, however, the justice system is always biased towards the bad guy, and it's hard to claim self-defense when you shoot someone in the back.

hopefully a good lawyer will help the guy out "my client fired at the home invader, because he thought the evildoer was running to get a weapon of his own, and this brother, this son, who's never done anything wrong, was trying to defend the lives of his innocent and defenseless family members"

Squawk 01-24-2013 12:31 PM

Sadly, a educated gun owner knows two things.

1. If someone breaks in your house, you better shoot them while they are in the house.

2. If you shoot someone outside of your house, you need to be able to prove that you felt your life was in danger.

Is it right? No. But it is what it is.

HOSSFLY 01-24-2013 02:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 70cuda383 (Post 1107936)
man is indicted for manslaughter when he shoots intruder, Police say man was outside the house when shot

http://www.10tv.com/content/stories/2013/01/24/columbus-man-charged-following-shooting-suspected-intruder.html

I can't really pass judgement without knowing more details. did the man present the weapon and the intruder dove out the window, and as he was running away the man inside the house ran to the window and started shooting at the intruder as he ran across the lawn?

or did the man inside present his weapon, the intruder continued to advance into the house, and the man fired, the intruder fell down, the person ran to the window and the intruder started to get back up?

in one case I can clearly see the manslaughter charge as the intruder is running away across the lawn.

in the other case, I think the person still had a belief that he was in danger, when the intruder continued to advance into the house even AFTER seeing the homeowner with a gun, and after he was shot, and getting back up, how was the home owner to know if the intruder was coming back for round 2, or getting up to leave?

I'd have to be on the Jury so I can hear all the evidence before I could actually pass judgement on this one.

Sucks bad but in some places thats the law- Shoot the sumbitch IN your house or not at all-

BeyondTheBox 01-25-2013 01:11 AM

What's really interesting, maddening, is what passes for evidence these days.

Camoking1206 01-25-2013 06:02 AM

If he fell out of a two story house wouldn't there be evidence of the fall? Broken ribs? Bruising of any sort?

Vikingdad 01-25-2013 06:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Camoking1206 (Post 1109294)
If he fell out of a two story house wouldn't there be evidence of the fall? Broken ribs? Bruising of any sort?

Dead men don't bruise. If he was dead (or nearly so) when he hit the ground then the body would not have any bruises.

They should have dragged his ass back into the house before the cops got there. May be tampering with evidence but would they be any worse off?

The cops I have talked to say that by the time they arrive at my place the body better be inside and approaching room temperature and the body best have a gun in its hand, preferably with a round or more fired from that gun. They have said I should confirm this before calling 911.

70cuda383 01-25-2013 11:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vikingdad (Post 1109299)
Dead men don't bruise. If he was dead (or nearly so) when he hit the ground then the body would not have any bruises.

They should have dragged his ass back into the house before the cops got there. May be tampering with evidence but would they be any worse off?

The cops I have talked to say that by the time they arrive at my place the body better be inside and approaching room temperature and the body best have a gun in its hand, preferably with a round or more fired from that gun. They have said I should confirm this before calling 911.

Enter "the throw away gun" haha.

Like I said in above posts...There's no way to knowing if this is a legit case of manslaughter or if there's a DA out to make a statement, from just a media article. Only way to know is to be in the courtroom during the trial to hear the evidence presented.

Funny thing is, I found that story yesterday while looking at the local news channel's website to see if my kid's school had another delay due to sub zero wind chill. pulled up the website and BOOM, there it was front and center

70cuda383 01-25-2013 11:23 AM

Just noticed this got moved....sorry for putting int the wrong spot originally...my thoughts were "media story about a gun owner being prosecuted...fits in the "firearms in the media" section.