Kel Tec PF9
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > Kel Tec PF9

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-02-2012, 01:06 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Kel Tec PF9

Anyone carrying one? If so what are your likes/dislikes and some ammo suggestions as well.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-02-2012, 04:26 AM   #2

I carry the Pf9 It is 3 inches, thin, light to carry,easy to conceal and was inexpensive at around $300 new. I have small hands so it felt just right. Got the green on black which to me looks cool. I like the shape.I'm not a fan of the square box shaped pistols like Glock.

Dislikes-Not a dislike persay because the gun was not made for range plinking but after about a 100 rounds i get tired and start to limp wrist.It requires a decent grip the only time i had any FTE was when i was super tired. I took some additional tactical shooting courses where i shot 300 rounds and by the end of the day i was bruised and battered lol..But i wanted to train with what i carry otherwise i wouldn't have shot so many rounds.

It's a snappy gun so shooting it is not like a full size auto.Takes more practice in my opinion to be proficient. The Pf9 was made for close quarter defense so 10 ft and under it performs fine. I wouldnt attempt to shoot a sniper out of a tree at 30 ft and beyond but id say im comfortable out to 15 ft..beyond that id have to think hard if i wanted to try and battle with it.

Some folks hate the gun and have all kinds of reasons they dislike it. I like it.It does what i want it to do. I'm looking to buy a new LC9 with the laser there on sale around $400 at the moment. I like it for the same reasons above.

try out the gun before buying, some gunshop/ranges rent out guns to test fire.

As for ammo-some folks have troubles with this brand or that brand, mine doesnt have a problem. Use brass not metal cased rounds..i use 115gr..Win White Box from Walmart does fine in mine..other folks have had troubles with WWB..i guess you have to try them out. Ive shot Federal WWB Rem all did fine. I use Hornady Critical Defense rounds for carry..

Hope this helps-i'm not ex-military or police Law enforcement or anything..just a regular joe carrying. I am sure those kinds of folks could weigh in better but that is my two cents worth.

Take care-Stay safe and welcome aboard we need more good guys out there carrying....

Old 09-02-2012, 03:41 PM   #3

Liked 278 Times on 219 Posts
Likes Given: 31

I CC'd a pf-9 for 2 1/2 years only changed after getting deal on a smoother shooting small pistol. Wished I had kept it. It shot well carried well in my pocket. Trigger was not bad ether for DA type trigger, gritty at first but smoothed up a bit with rounds fired. The pf-9 is not a range pistols for sure but I did fire 2000 rounds before I sold it. Never has a failure of any kind. The going price around here is 250 dollars and i did do the fluff and buff on it that can be found at KTOG forum. I do not shoot any thing WWB and cc ammo was a 124gr GD . Hard to beat for the money.

Old 09-02-2012, 04:03 PM   #4

Liked 35 Times on 29 Posts

I have weak wrists plus a crippled finger on my strong hand so grip suffers also & causes 'short cycling with my preferred SD ammo, so I don't carry it. I can shoot Remington UMC, both FMJ & JHPs fine, but still not a fun pistol to shoot. I guess it's the only pistol I regret buying.

If you don't have those kind of issues, it has a nice trigger & can be very accurate.

Old 09-02-2012, 04:44 PM   #5
fmj

Liked 753 Times on 437 Posts
Likes Given: 306

Everything above about sums up my findings.

Not enjoyable to shoot in long shooting sessions as it is a "snappy" gun. The "break in period" is used for the gun to break YOU in. I find it is accurate enough at 10 yds, not gonna drive tacks at the distance, but you would/could make a mess of an average sized humans chest/head.

I shoot 115 gr ammo, its ate all brands i have fed it without a hitch, ball and HP.

It is prone to fail if limp wristed. We bought this rig for the wife to carry. (we cant rent/pre shoot a gun around here) She decided she didnt like the "snap" + she prone to limp wrist it. Needless to say, we are still hunting a carry gun for her. But I have found that i carry it most of the time now...much easier to conceal in the summer than the 1911.

My first time up w/ the pf-9..
I have gotten quite a bit better with it since this filming. It has broken me in rather well with continued shooting.

Wife shooting the PF-9 for the first time. remember, it wasnt all that long ago she was a non-gunner... Shes no Hickok45...but who is?

Speaking of Hickok45....

The 1911: Turning useless trash into good fertilizer for over 100 years!!

Old 09-02-2012, 08:03 PM   #6

Thanks for the info guys. I've got it now. Not a bad little carry gun. Ran 50 rounds of FMJ through it without any hiccups. Bought an Uncle Mikes inside the waistband #1 and getting used to it. Gonna run more ammo through it tomorrow. Nothing but positive things to report as of right now.

Old 09-02-2012, 11:02 PM   #7

If you have a bike shop around you put several piece of 1.75 innertube on the grip to aid holding on to it for brake in. Free at bike shops for used tubes.

Old 09-03-2012, 12:55 AM   #8

I've got pretty large hands and haven't had a problem with gripping it as of yet but I've only ran 50 rounds through it.

Old 09-03-2012, 06:38 PM   #9

Liked 35 Times on 29 Posts

FMJ, see if you can rent a Sig P938 where you shoot. My wife has one & when I shot it, found it has considerably less recoil than my PF9. I even shot some 124 gr. +P in it without a problem. Her's came with the standard 6 round mag & the 7 round extended mag. The 7 rounder gave me a better grip, but I could shoot it fine even with the short mag.

Of course, my wife said it did have more recoil than she expected & will have to shoot it some more to see if she can get use to it, but I may inherit it! If not, I'll probably end up buying my own.

Old 09-03-2012, 07:11 PM   #10

That 700+ dollar sig should be milder to shot with all the extra 3 to 4oz of weight it carries. Your pistol should be easier to shot than the pf-9. Thats the same reason I have a CW9 to go with my cm9 and no longer have the pf-9. Smoother and easier to shot well amd with a 7+1 mag or a 8 rounder. But I can still use the cm9 for pocket as for me it just a bit to big.