Kalifornia - CCW permit advice?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > Kalifornia - CCW permit advice?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-08-2013, 06:35 AM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3726 Times on 2283 Posts
Likes Given: 1224

The wife and I will soon be applying for our CCW permits for Kalifornia, since I'm stuck here on orders for a little while. I have read through the below website some, and I believe I understand the process. I guess what I'm worried about are two things: the due cause thing for obtaining the permit, and the wait time. That concerns me because I'd like to have it in hand within the next four months, as we may be moving out of my current county in late October. I've heard it's actually easier to get where I currently am, hence the push to get them right now.

Any Kalifornia permit holders able to give insight or their personal experiences?

Here's the website I perused:

http://www.californiaconcealedcarry.com/gettingstarted/ccwarticle.html

Always have clean socks.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-08-2013, 06:46 AM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 141 Times on 91 Posts
Likes Given: 156

What County are you in San Francisco & Los Angeles areas are a no go unless you are a heavy contributer to the Sheriff's campaign or are very politically connected. Sacramento Co. just starting to loosen up the northern counties have mostly been ok.

http://militarysignatures.com/signat...ember14888.png
Retired LE, M.P., Sr. M.P. Investigator, armorer, F.B.I. Trained Rangemaster/Firearms Instructor , Presently Forensic Document Examiner for D.H.S.

Old 07-08-2013, 06:47 AM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by armsmaster270
What County are you in San Francisco & Los Angeles areas are a no go unless you are a heavy contributer to the Sheriff's campaign or are very politically connected. Sacramento Co. just starting to loosen up the northern counties have mostly been ok.
Currently in Monterey county. Will be moving to either San Diego county, or one of the others neighboring Camp Pendleton.

Always have clean socks.

Old 07-08-2013, 06:52 AM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 141 Times on 91 Posts
Likes Given: 156

Not sure about San Diego, good luck.

http://militarysignatures.com/signat...ember14888.png
Retired LE, M.P., Sr. M.P. Investigator, armorer, F.B.I. Trained Rangemaster/Firearms Instructor , Presently Forensic Document Examiner for D.H.S.

Old 07-08-2013, 06:57 AM   #5

Liked 195 Times on 122 Posts
Likes Given: 35

Good luck if you Have to try an get it in San Diego county. Just looked it up and if it's for personal defense you have to supply documentation of threats. I assume that's what it sounds like. And you have to provide proof of moral character, which shouldn't be too hard as a Marine. But it seems like the process is entirely subjective and up to the person interviewing you. It also requires multiple interviews and the first one is an hour long. That seems really weird to me. Up here you just go in, apply, pay $50 and get your permit within 30 days.

Good luck. Hopefully you'll be able to get them before you move to San Diego...

Old 07-08-2013, 02:01 PM   #6

Liked 414 Times on 258 Posts
Likes Given: 1202

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWSchramm View Post
The wife and I will soon be applying for our CCW permits for Kalifornia, since I'm stuck here on orders for a little while. I have read through the below website some, and I believe I understand the process. I guess what I'm worried about are two things: the due cause thing for obtaining the permit, and the wait time. That concerns me because I'd like to have it in hand within the next four months, as we may be moving out of my current county in late October. I've heard it's actually easier to get where I currently am, hence the push to get them right now.

Any Kalifornia permit holders able to give insight or their personal experiences?

Here's the website I perused:

http://www.californiaconcealedcarry.com/gettingstarted/ccwarticle.html
from what i understand once you move from the issueing county you are required to forfit the permit and reapply in the new county,ive had a ccw permit for the last six years here in ca and this is what ive been told i actually did not buy a house becasuse of this issue.i ended up finding a diffrent house to stay in my county.

No Bells.No Whistles.Just perfection.

Old 07-08-2013, 02:02 PM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Thanks guys. The idea is to get it here in Monterey county, to increase our chances.

Does anyone have a Kali CCW permit? Any best guesses on the turn-around time?

Always have clean socks.

Old 07-08-2013, 02:13 PM   #8

Liked 414 Times on 258 Posts
Likes Given: 1202

it took six weeks to get mine,renewals are on the spot eveery two years and it was about $350 with ammo the class and figerprints but that was about 6 years ago.

No Bells.No Whistles.Just perfection.

Old 07-08-2013, 02:43 PM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by rifleman1
it took six weeks to get mine,renewals are on the spot eveery two years and it was about $350 with ammo the class and figerprints but that was about 6 years ago.
That's not bad. I can definitely deal with six weeks. I have a feeling it'll be longer nowadays though.

Always have clean socks.

Old 07-08-2013, 04:46 PM   #10

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts

I live in San Bernardino county which is supposedly one of the best so cal areas to obtain your ccw. Still takes an average of 6-12 months. Had to wait 7 months just to do my first interview. It can be done here but takes quite awhile & your "just cause" is all subjective based on who is doing your interview.