Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > Justified shooting...and lose your firearm....?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-24-2012, 07:31 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Likes Given: 1

Default Justified shooting...and lose your firearm....?

I've read on here, and other forums, where you're in an shooting that ends up being justified, and your firearm is taken away, and not returned. Can this be true..? What kind of legal reason can LE come with for not ever returning your weapon from a justified shooting? When LE is involved in one, is theirs taken away, and then they have to buy a new one? ( I doubt it) Two sets of rules..?

I actually had a dream about this last night, where I spent an enormous sum on attorney's fees to fight to get my gun back. Nevertheless, my gun went to auction to fund their year end Christmas party. (bad dream, lol)

Last edited by dahur; 02-25-2012 at 04:32 AM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-24-2012, 07:43 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5731 Times on 3358 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Quiet Serf! Get back to the fields to fund your masters.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 02-25-2012, 01:05 AM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 137 Times on 88 Posts
Likes Given: 146

I am a retired officer and while on duty I was involved in an on duty shooting (fatal). When backup arrived with the Capt & CSI officers I was relieved of my weapon, driven by another officer downtown to the detective division for interviewing. It was returned after the case was determined to be justifiable homicide.

http://militarysignatures.com/signat...ember14888.png
Retired LE, M.P., Sr. M.P. Investigator, armorer, F.B.I. Trained Rangemaster/Firearms Instructor , Presently Forensic Document Examiner for D.H.S.

Old 02-25-2012, 01:18 AM   #4

Liked 2175 Times on 1468 Posts
Likes Given: 1191

Quote:
Originally Posted by dahur View Post
I've read on here, and other forums, where you're in an shooting that ends up being justified, and your firearm is taken away, and not returned. Can this be true..? What kind of legal reason can LE come with for not ever returning your weapon from a justified shooting? When LE is involved in one, is theirs taken away, and then they have to buy a new one? ( I doubt it) Two sets of rules..?

I actually had a dream about this last night, where I spent an enormous sum on attorney's fees to fight to get my gun back. Nevertheless, my gun went to auction to fund their year end Christmas party. (bad dream)
It was a dream - Wake up

Texan By Birth & Choice
USMC/VIET NAM VET

Old 02-25-2012, 01:48 AM   #5
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5126 Times on 2669 Posts
Likes Given: 310

depends on the jurisdiction your in.

just depends on how much of a jerk the PD & DA in question wants to be. like anything involving civil rights mileage varies depending on exactly who you are and what your beliefs are and how much you donate to political campaigns.

just my opinion

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 02-25-2012, 02:17 AM   #6

Liked 61 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 15

I have never known of anyone who lost their firearm in a legal shooting. The arms were held an tested to make sure they were the lethal firearm. The guns were often returned in a rusted conditions.

Old 02-25-2012, 02:39 AM   #7

Liked 4424 Times on 2146 Posts
Likes Given: 1313

My LGS was robbed about 2 years ago. They got away with I think about 80 handguns. Perps were caught in Tacoma and all but 2 guns were recovered. My dealer would have been better off if they'd not been recovered. Dippy the deputy evidence clown decided to tag all of the guns with metal wire through the trigger guard. Every 1911 to include Colts, Kimbers, and Less Baers were badly scarred up by the wonder cops brilliant method of identification. Because they were returned he lost out on the insurance claim and due to the damage he sold most of them at cost or below.

Really bad deal.

Tack

Old 02-25-2012, 04:19 AM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5731 Times on 3358 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

It seems like a good reason to have more than one pistol and to have a few that weren't bought at an FFL (but still legally). Keep one away from the rest and "forget" about it unless your others are removed from your custody. If i had my guns taken by the law for "investigation", i would be re-armed ASAP via relatives and friends.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 02-25-2012, 04:31 AM   #9

Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by armsmaster270 View Post
I am a retired officer and while on duty I was involved in an on duty shooting (fatal). When backup arrived with the Capt & CSI officers I was relieved of my weapon, driven by another officer downtown to the detective division for interviewing. It was returned after the case was determined to be justifiable homicide.

I'm very happy that turned out well for you.

Old 02-25-2012, 06:48 PM   #10

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Whenever you shoot someone in self defense with a CCW, YOU WILL BE ARRESTED! This is something every CCW permit holder must be aware of before that weapon ever clears the holster. Until the facts are brought out the STATE has the duty to gather all of the facts, evidence (your gun and ammunition), and all other crime scene data to decide whether or not to file charges. This isn't going to happen in 15 minutes especially if the shooting results in a death. I am in no way endorsing the United States Concealed Carry Association (USCCA), but they have an excellent website for this type of info and you can even purchase insurance to retain a lawyer that specializes in CCW cases. Laws vary greatly from state to state, so you may or may not get your gun back depending where you live. If in doubt, do some research on the laws in your area. Hopefully you will never have your gun taken from you!!! SHOOT STRAIGHT!