Just signed up for ccw - Page 5
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection >

Just signed up for ccw

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-21-2009, 01:02 AM   #41
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

The law here use to be that you had to register two firearms for carry and you could only carry those two. To carry something different you would have to re-register and wait.........Glad things have changed.

Old 09-21-2009, 02:42 AM   #42
Si Vis Pacem,Para Bellum
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 465 Times on 299 Posts
Likes Given: 1457

here you would have to shoot and qualify with the new gun and have the gun inspected by the sheriff. and change one of the guns on your permit for the new gun.three is the max.

Old 09-23-2009, 01:39 AM   #43

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Ok, the date is 9-23-09. My papers were sent out today. I'll be expecting my permit within 120days. From what I've heard, I'll be having to call after 120 days and push things. We'll see.

Old 09-23-2009, 02:18 PM   #44

Liked 860 Times on 342 Posts
Likes Given: 1687

Hope it doesn't take that long where you live. I got mine back in less than a week

I was shocked. Somebody must have been turning them out that day.

Old 09-23-2009, 06:54 PM   #45

Liked 6 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I just got my CHL last week. It took about 3 months. It sounds like you have 4 months to prepare. Study those laws.

I bought a cheap, nylon, IWB holster for starters. It works and I can figure out what I like and don't like about it before I lay down more money for other holsters. I wore it around the house to get used to it before I got my CHL. While you were in class, I was out shopping for CHL clothes. I bought shorts with extra room and belt loops and some t-shirts.

The other hard part is keeping my 7 year old's mouth shut. I think he's down with it now.

Old 09-23-2009, 10:02 PM   #46
Si Vis Pacem,Para Bellum
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 465 Times on 299 Posts
Likes Given: 1457

it takes that long in arkansas? it only took about 6 weeks for mine and i live in california i thought that was a long time.

Old 09-24-2009, 04:00 AM   #47

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rifleman1 View Post
it takes that long in arkansas? it only took about 6 weeks for mine and i live in california i thought that was a long time.
We don't want to compare California's and Arkansas gun laws.

Old 10-08-2009, 08:48 PM   #48

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

The check cleared on Sept. 29th. Hurry up Arkansas!!!

Old 10-08-2009, 09:40 PM   #49

hogger129

Ask both of your parents if they would sign up and attend a firearms class with you. As a family, with your parents seeing what you learn & learning themselves. This is letting you learn with their supervision on such and important and scary thing & they would feel more confident about a decision. An Educated Decision.

An NRA class or home defence class - which would benefit your entire household. With them. It's a gun owning house now, enlighten your parents that you will be a future gun owner as soon as you'll be able & don't they want to do their job and make sure that you are educated & safe when you leave the nest? That they gave you the tools as responsible, caring parents to be a good, responsible well equipted adult.
Everything in their power!!!

Ask them if they would go with you as a family to a local gun club/range to learn about a membership & talk to some of those old coggers & range masters & just whatever members are in there at the time. Familiarity breeds comfort. You'll see other families, couples of all ages, Dad's bonding with their son's & daughters. Mom's too! Classes & instruction offered in a lot of these places.

These people are good and normal with a love and respect for firearms, safety and the law.

You can get your own membership to the NRA.

My husband & I wish our 18 yr old daughter would take more interest - it's a scary thing to send a beautiful, young woman out into the world (off to college) with nothing but a very little bit of common sense.
As a parent - crossing my fingures just isn't good enough.

Old 10-08-2009, 10:03 PM   #50

Gojubrian

CONGRADULATIONS!!!!

You're now safer walkin' the mean streets.

Hope you never have the need for it.

I like that your sheriff's office calls you to pick up the permit.
Here in MI - they mail it to you -
My husbands got lost between sheriff's office & our house.
When it didn't show up on schedule - he called and they ended up sending him another. He notified the sheriff. But what happened to the first one? Who might have it? Ours are just thick paper with your photo glued on in the space allotted for it. Very easy for someone to forge for their own. Not good. There could be problems with that in future if
somebody stole it. Don't feel the sheriff's office did enough here.

Hope your first day carrying in public is less stressful for you than mine was for me.

Last edited by Puff; 10-08-2009 at 10:05 PM.