Just picked up a S&W Bodyguard .380
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > Just picked up a S&W Bodyguard .380

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-18-2011, 09:35 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
HighSpeed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Cleveland,OH
Posts: 203
Liked 28 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default Just picked up a S&W Bodyguard .380

Saw a deal I couldn't resist and picked one up. I had been toying with the idea of getting a pocket pistol for a while, and had it narrowed down to the LCP and the Bodyguard. Decided on the BG because of its double strike ability and slide lock. (I'll still probably get the LCP, though.)

Ideally, I'd rather be carrying something 9mm or larger. However, this pistol allows for easy pocket carry, I can even carry it when I'm jogging. (My G26 isn't exactly conducive to workout clothes)

Bottom line, I'd rather have this than nothing.

I'm going to go shoot it this weekend. My serial # starts w/EATxxxx, so hopefully I won't have the problems with the takedown lever that I've heard so much about.

__________________

The only time you can have too much ammunition is if you're swimming or on fire!

Gun stores: Where the morbidly obese can pretend to be mercenaries, allude to past experiences in Special Ops, and overuse words like "tactical" and "piece of kit".

HighSpeed is offline  
 
Reply With Quote

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here


Old 10-18-2011, 09:47 PM   #2
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
NOVA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Reston,VA
Posts: 208
Liked 14 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Default

I've got maybe 100 rounds through mine. Nice little gun. Long trigger pull takes getting used to...

So, have you found a pocket holster for it yet?

__________________
I love Life - I try to learn something new everyday! I am thankful for a brain that still functions, a wife who still loves me and my gun collection to defend me!
NOVA is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 10:31 PM   #3
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
HighSpeed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Cleveland,OH
Posts: 203
Liked 28 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOVA View Post
I've got maybe 100 rounds through mine. Nice little gun. Long trigger pull takes getting used to...

So, have you found a pocket holster for it yet?
I do, a little cheapo Blackhawk! holster they had for $12. It does the job. I'm thinking about trying out a Belly Band for when I'm at the gym or jogging, has anyone used one of these?
__________________

The only time you can have too much ammunition is if you're swimming or on fire!

Gun stores: Where the morbidly obese can pretend to be mercenaries, allude to past experiences in Special Ops, and overuse words like "tactical" and "piece of kit".

HighSpeed is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 08:22 PM   #4
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: NW Wisconny
Posts: 35
Default

I've got a DeSantis Nemesis pocket holster for mine. Not bad for the price. I'm looking for other options too.

__________________
E-Rez is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 09:37 PM   #5
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
paulbrower's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Dardenne Prairie,Missouri
Posts: 117
Liked 10 Times on 4 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighSpeed
Saw a deal I couldn't resist and picked one up. I had been toying with the idea of getting a pocket pistol for a while, and had it narrowed down to the LCP and the Bodyguard. Decided on the BG because of its double strike ability and slide lock. (I'll still probably get the LCP, though.)

Ideally, I'd rather be carrying something 9mm or larger. However, this pistol allows for easy pocket carry, I can even carry it when I'm jogging. (My G26 isn't exactly conducive to workout clothes)

Bottom line, I'd rather have this than nothing.

I'm going to go shoot it this weekend. My serial # starts w/EATxxxx, so hopefully I won't have the problems with the takedown lever that I've heard so much about.
I've got both....the BG and LCP. Gave the BG to my wife...had a couple striker issues with it, but S&W fixed it. To me, the LCP seems 'tighter', if that makes sense. Either way, both are decent for pocket or backup on ankle.

Sent from my iPad using FirearmsTalk
__________________
paulbrower is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 11:22 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 3,087
Liked 757 Times on 449 Posts
Likes Given: 477

Default

[QUOTE=HighSpeed;604515]Saw a deal I couldn't resist and picked one up. I had been toying with the idea of getting a pocket pistol for a while, and had it narrowed down to the LCP and the Bodyguard. Decided on the BG because of its double strike ability and slide lock. (I'll still probably get the LCP, though.)

Ideally, I'd rather be carrying something 9mm or larger. However, this pistol allows for easy pocket carry, I can even carry it when I'm jogging. (My G26 isn't exactly conducive to workout clothes)

Bottom line, I'd rather have this than nothing.

QUOTE]

Sounds like a good purchase to me. I had the same concern.
Only my small choice was a Ruger LCP .380 to go jogging with.

__________________
PanBaccha is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 01:06 PM   #7
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
subz54's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 18
Default

I'm looking into getting a bodyguard as well.

__________________
subz54 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 02:22 PM   #8
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
purehavoc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Not where I wanna be
Posts: 4,748
Liked 1131 Times on 736 Posts
Likes Given: 2021

Default

My local dealer had the bogyguard and the LC9 , I really liked the laser on the bodyguard , however I like the 9mm round better , Both were going to be about the same $$ out the door give or take a few bucks . Both are close to the same size and both had long trigger pull so went with the LC9 , for as short of a barrel as it has, It was fairly accurate out to 8 yards . If we ever get CCW here in IL it will be my main carry.
You got a good gun there you will like it

__________________

Last edited by purehavoc; 10-20-2011 at 03:41 PM.
purehavoc is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 11:34 PM   #9
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
paulbrower's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Dardenne Prairie,Missouri
Posts: 117
Liked 10 Times on 4 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by purehavoc
My local dealer had the bogyguard and the LC9 , I really liked the laser on the bodyguard , however I like the 9mm round better , Both were going to be about the same $$ out the door give or take a few bucks . Both are close to the same size and both had long trigger pull so went with the LC9 , for as short of a barrel as it has, It was fairly accurate out to 8 yards . If we ever get CCW here in IL it will be my main carry.
You got a good gun there you will like it
This is obviously my opinion, but a laser on a pocket gun is ridiculous. The gun is so small, that it is not convenient to even think about turning it on under stress. On top of that, if you were really drawing due to an imminent threat, you would draw and shoot in less than half a second. No time for fiddling with the laser. I got the LCP without a laser. The BG laser is a pain in the butt to get turned on. I would take it off my BG if it wasn't part of the frame.

Now, there are auto-on grip lasers that turn on when you hold the gun. Those might be better, but I think you should just practice drawing and shooting, and maybe get some glow in the dark dots/paint for the sights.

Sent from my iPad using FirearmsTalk
__________________
paulbrower is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 01:56 AM   #10
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
NOVA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Reston,VA
Posts: 208
Liked 14 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulbrower View Post
This is obviously my opinion, but a laser on a pocket gun is ridiculous. The gun is so small, that it is not convenient to even think about turning it on under stress. On top of that, if you were really drawing due to an imminent threat, you would draw and shoot in less than half a second. No time for fiddling with the laser. I got the LCP without a laser. The BG laser is a pain in the butt to get turned on. I would take it off my BG if it wasn't part of the frame.

Now, there are auto-on grip lasers that turn on when you hold the gun. Those might be better, but I think you should just practice drawing and shooting, and maybe get some glow in the dark dots/paint for the sights.

Sent from my iPad using FirearmsTalk
Agree with use of laser in an SD situation is impractical - no time to think about turning on laser when every second counts. HOWEVER - as I mentioned before - that long trigger pull on the BodyGuard 380 takes some getting used to and I find the laser is an excellent training tool for instant feedback on keeping the gun on target. Secondly, in a situational awareness scenario where you see the threat coming from a distance AND HAVE THE FEW SECONDS TIME TO SPARE to turn on the laser, you may be justified in putting the laser dot on the Bad Guy's chest and make him or her think twice about messing with you.
__________________
I love Life - I try to learn something new everyday! I am thankful for a brain that still functions, a wife who still loves me and my gun collection to defend me!
NOVA is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Firearms Forum Replies Last Post
S&W Bodyguard 380 jamesb Semi-Auto Handguns 18 12-16-2011 03:13 AM
Bodyguard 380 Ejection E-Rez Semi-Auto Handguns 7 09-04-2011 04:43 PM
S&W Bodyguard 380 JTJ Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection 3 12-18-2010 01:58 AM
S&W Bodyguard 38 Thelt Revolver Handguns 21 12-10-2010 02:40 AM
S&W Bodyguard .380... When? FlBob518 Semi-Auto Handguns 5 06-21-2010 03:17 AM