just heard a noise when no one is home - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection >

just heard a noise when no one is home

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-11-2012, 03:46 PM   #11
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 757 Times on 449 Posts
Likes Given: 477

Having a dog is always a good insurance. Barking alone alerts you to possible threat, and whoever that was outside your home would think twice about entering.

Old 09-11-2012, 03:51 PM   #12

Liked 1151 Times on 747 Posts
Likes Given: 2042

our house is well...... lets just say we have old friends in our house . We know their there , we have fans that turn when the power is off , creaking noises at night , we had about 1/4 of a roll of toilet paper that was on the holder wound thru the sink handles and faucet , around the toilet and hung over the shower cutain not ripped anywhere while we were gone for the evening . My dog used to growl at nothing in the corner when he was younger. he is def now so he doesnt hear or see well any more so he doesnt do that any more . Stuff moved thru out the house mostly nick knacks but nothing ever missing. We just let it go and we dont ever talk about it in our house . We do know that a Dr. used to own our house and passed in it many many yrs ago . Our house was built in the lat 1800s

Old 09-11-2012, 04:05 PM   #13

Liked 1960 Times on 1032 Posts
Likes Given: 4288

Good advice given about not instigating confrontation. Don't let your 'machismo' cloud good judgement.

1-Call 911, name, address, situation...put the phone down but DO NOT hang up...this is your #1 witness...

2-Find your fallback position, a corner in a back room is good, preferably with cover like a bed or furniture...this is assuming you are already armed. If you haven't designated your fallback position yet, do so and ingrain it into your mind so it will be natural instinct to get there post haste...

3-Wait, quietly. Know that nobody is going to sneak up behind you as you have chosen a safe spot. If your position is discovered, then you'll have to make a choice but be sure of who is discovering you. Some training vids will say to announce yourself and that you are armed but that to me seems dangerous...I'd prefer to stay hidden and safe until I was no longer either...

Your #1 goal is to stay alive...nothing more, nothing less.
Old 09-11-2012, 04:06 PM   #14
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1733 Times on 901 Posts
Likes Given: 3667

Haunted house.
Cool stuff.

Old 09-11-2012, 04:26 PM   #15

Liked 335 Times on 203 Posts
Likes Given: 260

I'd suggest you get some training such as the NRA Basic Personal Protection In The Home Course.
http://www.nrainstructors.org/CourseCatalog.aspx
People Like This 
Old 09-11-2012, 04:38 PM   #16

Liked 46 Times on 30 Posts

Haunted house= me getting the f out.
People Like This 
Old 09-11-2012, 04:46 PM   #17

Liked 1151 Times on 747 Posts
Likes Given: 2042

Quote:
Originally Posted by niteglock View Post
I have been in this house for 17 or 18 yrs and we are in the process of selling it to move to the country but what goes on it doesnt bother us its not life threatening or bothersome and some times gives us a good laugh . Im just glad we get along like that

Orbs in pictures in our house is also quite common

Old 09-12-2012, 01:48 PM   #18

Liked 23 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by niteglock View Post
Absolutely. Nothing worse than spooks. An axe murderer or goofball junkie you can kill, but ghosts are already dead! That's my rule for watching horror movies as well, if the bad guy is a spook or ghost, I won't watch it. lol.

For the OP, do you live near a major road? Have speakers you leave on a lot?
The speakers on my computer actually pick up the CB traffic from passing big rigs. Scares the hell out of me when I'm not expecting it.

Old 09-14-2012, 01:34 AM   #19

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

You guys don't understand the dumbass thefts around here, guy breaks into houses when 2 girls are home, they hide and call police, and the catch the guy in a room on the floor smokeing a cig, with a axe, im on the 4th floor it was real late at night, family was at the beach, noone was subsposed to come here, but yea correct im not going to shoot some one unless im getting fired apon.
It wasn't the sound that worried me, it was a weird go check situatiob feeling in my body.
Thanks for the help

Old 09-14-2012, 01:38 AM   #20

Liked 147 Times on 99 Posts

Stay calm, Keep your finger off the trigger!!!! And dont go overly investigating cause you have a gun..stay in the house..preferably in a room w 1 entrance/exit, if it sounds like someone is coming, call the cops, sit tight, and let the dog do its job. And If they do come lookin for trouble..well that's what they'll find won't they