Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f17/)
-   -   just heard a noise when no one is home (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f17/just-heard-noise-when-no-one-home-72204/)

moneymaker17 09-11-2012 01:28 AM

just heard a noise when no one is home

cant seem to find a place to put this thread, please move it if there is a better place for it..
how ever my house is a 3 story house with a bacement, the 4th is like a big attic room, im up here on my computer, i hear my dog start barking down stairs and i heard a person noise, that was out of the ordarnary, tv is on but i felt something weird, so i get my handgun and put it in my pocket with my hand on the gun handle, so i slowly check around and pretty much i see nothing.

can you guys give me tips if this happens again, on what would be a better situation to do, i choose a hand gun because i could keep it in close(not long barrel shotgun)

first time ever really alone, yet hearing a strange noise that ended up being nothing.

mountainman13 09-11-2012 01:36 AM

I would suggest either calming yourself a bit so you don't accidently shoot a friendly visitor or family member or calling a priest cause your house is haunted. Run away. Run away. Lol

sdiver35 09-11-2012 02:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mountainman13
I would suggest either calming yourself a bit so you don't accidently shoot a friendly visitor or family member or calling a priest cause your house is haunted. Run away. Run away. Lol

LMAO!

May want to keep a good flashlight with you too, just in case. Pistol would be my first choice a it's easy to keep on you while moving about.

USEBOTHHANDS 09-11-2012 02:12 AM

a critter outside, or your dog made a "person" sound and it startled him/her too.

kytowboater 09-11-2012 02:43 AM

One of my daughters toys went off by itself twice today. It's from a yard sale. I would calm yourself as stated above.

Ben91 09-11-2012 03:21 AM

Could be the EMF (electro-magnetic field) from the computer. Im kind of a paranormal buff. But as for the gun keep it handy. In my mind its better to be safe than sorry.

PrimePorkchop 09-11-2012 03:37 AM

Call the police of you think someone is Sneaking around ... Your pistol should be for self defense... But you shouldn't Hope for the opportunity to use it if it can be avoided then by all means .. Call the cops... If someone starts some **** while you wait on the police to arrive... Then at least you're already prepared to save yourself

gladesbassin 09-11-2012 03:39 AM

I would say if your home by yourself and you feel someone is breaking in close the door to the room your in and tuck yourself in a corner and wait for a BG to come in. If you are not expecting someone and you go searching the house and become startled while the firearm is in your grasp you might make a mistake by shooting a family member you mistake for a BG. If you continue to hear noises call the police and protect yourself till they come. That situation is a tough one to get advice on since everyone reacts differently. Stay safe and shoot straight if needed!

trip286 09-11-2012 04:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PrimePorkchop
Call the police of you think someone is Sneaking around ... Your pistol should be for self defense... But you shouldn't Hope for the opportunity to use it if it can be avoided then by all means .. Call the cops... If someone starts some **** while you wait on the police to arrive... Then at least you're already prepared to save yourself

What he said. If you hear a noise, listen for more noise. If your sure someone is in your home, call the cops, and remain hidden. Don't go looking for trouble you don't have to find.

gollygee 09-11-2012 03:38 PM

Do you also sometimes hear voices? ;)

Seriously, I agree that a handgun is easier to use when clearing a house. With a multi-level home, seems being on the top level would be an advantage & maybe just waiting at the top of a stairwell would be good. But, the lay-out of your home would determine this & also frequency of visits from folks you know, etc., etc. Another thing would be if the doors would normally be locked & was there any noise of entry.

Speaking of voices....

Shortly after my wife & I moved into our present home, I would hear voices. They were loud enough to be sure they were human voices as opposed to just noises & could distinguish female & male voices. But were muffled as if coming from another room, so unable to distinguish words. I never said anything to my wife, but would move from room to room in an effort to find a spot where I could hear them better, but was never able to get them clearly.

It didn't happen at any particular time of day or on any regular frequency. I don't know which of us finally mentioned it first, but we learned that we'd both been hearing them & were afraid to mention it to the other. :D

Doesn't seem to happen as often now, but they haven't stopped completely. We've just got so used to them, just don't pay much attention to it anymore.:)