Just got pulled over!!!! - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > Just got pulled over!!!!

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-04-2013, 07:04 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
deadsp0t's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Somewhere between you and nowhere...
Posts: 1,471
Liked 587 Times on 393 Posts
Likes Given: 47

Default

Law or no law it's best for your safety and avoiding hassle.. giving your permit or informing lets the LEO know in advance you are or could be carrying and are likely not a threat. Not doing so could lead to you being drawn upon by that inexperienced officer and accidentally shot over nothing.

Here in NC if you don't have a concealed permit the handgun needs to be in plain sight, which isn't always plain to see.. Several years ago, myself and three friends went through a check point, two pistols on the center console, the second time the officer approached the truck 4 deputies drew on us and shouted different orders.. Don't move.. Put the truck in park.. Hands on the wheel.. My reply was please tell me what you want, I don't wanna be a statistic..
A serious hassle for absolutely no reason except me not saying, hey we have guns, look..

I see your point but after that exp, I'm not risking my life over nothing..
Your gun, life and permit.. Just sharing my exp

__________________

Rise and rise again, until lambs become lions....

DISCE PATI

Fear cuts deeper then the sword.

deadsp0t is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 12:46 PM   #12
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
nixfix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 117
Liked 28 Times on 17 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by alwaysarmed View Post
Thanks a lot for the help drum and I agree and disagree with you on always telling them. I agree because its respectful but I disagree because I could also lead to having cop with little experience unholstering his weapon all because I just said the word GUN and him or her feeling threatened.
I am not aware of any PD that sends inexperienced officers on single patrol. And if they did, I think telling the officer about being armed in a calm voice, rather than risking him seeing it or him running the plate and finding out I have a permit but I haven't told him about being armed, is preferable.
__________________
nixfix is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 12:50 PM   #13
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 3,087
Liked 757 Times on 449 Posts
Likes Given: 477

Default

Got pulled over in Florida... complied ... never thought of informing officer perhaps due to the fact I'm not mindful of carrying most times ... given a warning ... then strangely enough small talk ensues usually by officer about unrelated things. (Must be the gray in my hair).

__________________
PanBaccha is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 01:26 PM   #14
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 1,898
Liked 1069 Times on 718 Posts
Likes Given: 1626

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by alwaysarmed View Post
So according to the usa carry page I do not have to tell them but its recommend and he didn't not have the the right to ask for my permit, although I will always comply with there wishes just because that could very well help avoid a ticket. Just so you know I got away with noting just a verbal warning not pice of paper or fine to pay.
Never forget who makes the recommendation!
__________________
johnr1943 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 03:01 PM   #15
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
SigArmored's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: FT. Meyers,Fla.
Posts: 518
Liked 84 Times on 66 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanBaccha View Post
Got pulled over in Florida... complied ... never thought of informing officer perhaps due to the fact I'm not mindful of carrying most times ... given a warning ... then strangely enough small talk ensues usually by officer about unrelated things. (Must be the gray in my hair).
In Fla. we have "No duty to inform" and someone here suggested that an officer could pull up weather or not you have a carry license just by checking you're plate and that's a definite no in Fla. as well .Fact being that the department of ag divis out our permits and has no connection to the DMV .Every state is different and the link that was posted for the op has a link for all states that you can down load.I have them downloaded for everything between Fla. and Va. As these are the states I travel in frequently.
__________________
SigArmored is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 03:06 PM   #16
fmj
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
fmj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Fort Wayne,IN
Posts: 3,454
Liked 753 Times on 437 Posts
Likes Given: 306

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by alwaysarmed View Post
So according to the usa carry page I do not have to tell them but its recommend and he didn't not have the the right to ask for my permit, although I will always comply with there wishes just because that could very well help avoid a ticket. Just so you know I got away with noting just a verbal warning not pice of paper or fine to pay.
You have 0 duty to announce you are carrying by law. I NEVER tell them unless asked. When they run your DL they will see you have an IN LTCH.


Funny story, i got pulled for a nonexistent traffic violation...(the one screaming at the cop to chase me was the one that actually committed the violation) Young pup comes to my window full of wind and $hit. (Pompous prick) I 'splained the FACTS of what happened and that i was well within the law. He took my DL and registration and went back and ran my name...when he came back with my DL and reg. he had a TOTALLY different demeanor...almost apologetic and let me go on my merry way.

Wife, who was sitting beside me in the truck, noticed the complete reversal of attitude and commented on it. I told her, "the truck plate is registered in YOUR name, you dont have your LTCH. (yet) When he he ran my DL he saw that i DID have my LTCH and that i was most likely armed and understood (after our conversation) i had a pretty firm grasp on legalities...I think he may have learned a valuable lesson today."

Long and the short, if your vehicle is registered in your name they WILL know you have your LTCH by the time they come to your window.

I NEVER disclose because you dont know if your dealing with a real cop or not..its VERY simple to impersonate an LEO...we even had a case in this area not so long ago of a guy pulling women over and raping them. Had a car that looked like a cruiser and a uniform.
__________________
"Those that would trade essential liberty for temporary security deserve neither liberty nor security." - Benjammin Franklin

The 1911: Turning useless trash into good fertilizer for over 100 years!!
fmj is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 03:44 PM   #17
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
alwaysarmed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 53
Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Default

Thanks for all the help, post and experience I trust that this wisdom will help me make it through next stop I pray it doesn't happen no more.

__________________

Its not murder if for means of survival


Last edited by alwaysarmed; 07-04-2013 at 03:50 PM.
alwaysarmed is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 07:00 AM   #18
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 173
Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Default

I got pulled over tonight for speeding, and when the officer asked for my license I gave him both my ccw and regular. He just looked at my ccw, said thanks, and gave it back. He was very professional and it wasn't a big deal at all. I figure its best just to put it out there, and they will respect you for it.( I guess if we had problems around here of impersonators I might think twice though)

__________________
kalboy26 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 10:01 AM   #19
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Jacksonville,FL
Posts: 2,823
Liked 1768 Times on 989 Posts
Likes Given: 1302

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by alwaysarmed View Post
So according to the usa carry page I do not have to tell them but its recommend and he didn't not have the the right to ask for my permit, although I will always comply with there wishes just because that could very well help avoid a ticket. Just so you know I got away with noting just a verbal warning not pice of paper or fine to pay.
I would say you handled things very well. As far as him having a right to ask for the permit, he was more or less obligated to once you told him you were armed. You may not have to volunteer the info, but it's hard to argue with the outcome of your meeting.

A word to the wise. Do NOT believe everything you read on USACarry. They do a fine job, but they only provide a synopsis of your statutes. You need to know your local laws inside and out.
__________________
Doc3402 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 08:29 AM   #20
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
deadsp0t's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Somewhere between you and nowhere...
Posts: 1,471
Liked 587 Times on 393 Posts
Likes Given: 47

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalboy26
I got pulled over tonight for speeding, and when the officer asked for my license I gave him both my ccw and regular. He just looked at my ccw, said thanks, and gave it back. He was very professional and it wasn't a big deal at all. I figure its best just to put it out there, and they will respect you for it.( I guess if we had problems around here of impersonators I might think twice though)
We've had one or two over the past 8-10 years, they've all been unmarked though. Think LE put out a number you can call and you can also call 911. Think they also said to stop in a populated area, of course this was when the 'blue light bandit' was in the prowl
__________________

Rise and rise again, until lambs become lions....

DISCE PATI

Fear cuts deeper then the sword.

deadsp0t is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Firearms Forum Replies Last Post
Pulled a Biden Jagermeister The Club House 7 03-05-2013 01:56 AM
Pulled the trigger on a 650 xl Cadoll Ammunition & Reloading 7 06-06-2011 03:02 AM
Pulled Out of Race HKSlinger Politics, Religion and Controversy 15 05-17-2011 02:32 AM
Pulled the trigger on a new AR ChuckD AR-15 Discussion 6 04-21-2009 10:32 AM