Just got pulled over!!!!
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > Just got pulled over!!!!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-04-2013, 03:12 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

So I got pulled over for rolling a stop sign. When officer got to my window I had both hands on the wheel. I let him speak first I then informed him I had a firearm and a permit. He ask where it was told him right hip. He asked for license and permit after informing him my wallet was in left rear pocket. so I gave it to him. Now my question is if anyone can post a link to they indiana code stating whether or not I have to inform an officer I am carrying because I have not been able to find anything on the subject. Therefor I told him just to be on the safe side.

Its not murder if for means of survival

Last edited by alwaysarmed; 07-04-2013 at 03:22 AM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-04-2013, 03:29 AM   #2

Liked 1616 Times on 944 Posts
Likes Given: 1894

http://www.usacarry.com/indiana_concealed_carry_permit_information.html

Edit to add.
This might be of useand it's a PDF so you can download it

http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/indiana.pdf

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
Thomas Jefferson

Last edited by DrumJunkie; 07-04-2013 at 03:31 AM. Reason: Added link
vincent Likes This 
Old 07-04-2013, 03:46 AM   #3

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

So according to the usa carry page I do not have to tell them but its recommend and he didn't not have the the right to ask for my permit, although I will always comply with there wishes just because that could very well help avoid a ticket. Just so you know I got away with noting just a verbal warning not pice of paper or fine to pay.

Old 07-04-2013, 04:09 AM   #4

I've always thought it good idea to tell them weather it was the law or not. It's just another reason for thme to engage in some dickery if they are not too keen on the unwashed masses having a gun. I mean, you end up in court for what ever comes out of that situation toy have the fact that you informed the officer in a respectful manner that you where armed so as not to create an overly stressful situation.

If state law allows then there is no reason to do so and I would support that. It is your right after all. I just don't handle it that way and it has always worked out for me. More often than not it will come back that you have a permit if they call your plate anyway. And if you're getting a ticket they are going to run the plate.

I have no problem with police doing their job and I understand it can be very stressful. For the most part I will do what I can to be respectful and keep everything as calm as I can. If they choose to get into a little dumbassery after that then it's on them. I do believe that they should recieve a degree of respect for the badge at least until they show they are not worthy of such.

Like I've said a lot on here. I have and still do carry open when I choose to. A lot of cops have been called on me over the years. Now a lot of these men and women know me to a degree and we usually end up talking guns after they see they got called away form dinner or something on a asshat call. That's not their fault and I am still the man reported with a gun. I've made a lot of cop friends due to those calls though. Being nice is a good thing as long as you are allowed to do so.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
Thomas Jefferson

Old 07-04-2013, 04:16 AM   #5

Liked 1798 Times on 1003 Posts
Likes Given: 1177

I was pulled over for doing 52 in a 35. I was doing it. He caught me. I handed him my permit with my license. We talked for a few minutes. He let me go with a warning. Never hurts to be polite!

Romans 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.

DrumJunkie Likes This 
Old 07-04-2013, 04:19 AM   #6

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Thanks a lot for the help drum and I agree and disagree with you on always telling them. I agree because its respectful but I disagree because I could also lead to having cop with little experience unholstering his weapon all because I just said the word GUN and him or her feeling threatened.

Old 07-04-2013, 04:24 AM   #7

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Your right Rick it doesn't hurt. Like I said above i was polite and so was he, he returned my license and permit and said to take easy at the stop sign and walked away. Now that could have been because that was the first time or because I was polite and informed him I was carrying. I respect him and every other officer for what they do and the risk they take

shadecorp Likes This 
Old 07-04-2013, 04:39 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by alwaysarmed View Post
Thanks a lot for the help drum and I agree and disagree with you on always telling them. I agree because its respectful but I disagree because I could also lead to having cop with little experience unholstering his weapon all because I just said the word GUN and him or her feeling threatened.
Well like I said. If it's within the law and your rights in your state then you are not doing anything wrong. And I'll support anyone that is exorcising their rights.
Sure there are some cops out there that might get bent but I've done my part to be respectful and nice to them so anything they do out of line is not on me. I guess they can shoot me but I don't see it happening.

On the same coin I am one that believes in the right to remain silent so if they get me in a car they will have trouble talking to me. But see at this point they are breaking out on a bad case of what DJ calls dumbassery. Something I do not tolerate too well. I can goto court and have lawyers that will represent me for next to of not nothing. I don't go around breaking laws as a habit and I don't give the law people any problems. I expect the same in return.

Thomas Jefferson

Old 07-04-2013, 04:50 AM   #9

Liked 82 Times on 59 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by alwaysarmed
So I got pulled over for rolling a stop sign. When officer got to my window I had both hands on the wheel. I let him speak first I then informed him I had a firearm and a permit. He ask where it was told him right hip. He asked for license and permit after informing him my wallet was in left rear pocket. so I gave it to him. Now my question is if anyone can post a link to they indiana code stating whether or not I have to inform an officer I am carrying because I have not been able to find anything on the subject. Therefor I told him just to be on the safe side.
Even if its not a law the best way to get respect and get out of a ticket is to tell them otherwise you'll get a gun shoved in your damn mouth if its seen

Old 07-04-2013, 04:58 AM   #10
Devil's Advocate and Provocateur
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 1319 Times on 689 Posts
Likes Given: 606

Always,my state has a duty to notify, but I find it prudent even is states with reciprocity that dont require it. I have found that they appreciate the courtesy. I always find it prudent to let the officer know by saying, "I have a CCW permit and I'm currently armed. My wallet is behind my firearm." Even the young cop who was in training did not freak out at this line! He simply told me not to have any contact with the weapon. This was also on a speeding ticket stop. One officer's response was, "Are you planning to shoot me with it?" to which I responded, "Of course not." Everything went smoothly. I have had them take my weapon before, so after the encounter was over I asked this cop why he let me keep my weapon (I was new to carry back then). He replied, "If you planned to shoot me, you wouldn't have told me about it."

Some are very good natured about it. :-)

“Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem." (I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.). Thomas Jefferson

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

-Edmund Burke, Loosely translated from Thoughts on the Cause of Present Discontents. (1770)

Last edited by TekGreg; 07-04-2013 at 05:02 AM.
shadecorp Likes This