Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > Job or Personal Protection

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-12-2012, 05:34 PM   #31
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Axxe55's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: East Texas, Texas!
Posts: 27,162
Liked 19845 Times on 11269 Posts
Likes Given: 50020

Default

i worked for several companies that specifically forbid posession of firearms, even in your vehicle on company property. in Texas the law ruling this illegal states, that unless the vehicle is parked in secure parking lot and has a manned security entrance for the employees, then it is against state law to restrict posession of a firearm inside your personal vehicle. one company was secured parking and had a manned entrance, but my vehicle was locked at all times. from time to time they would go up to vehicles and open them up looking for forbidden items, alcohol, guns, stolen tools from the shop, ect... one time they wanted to look into mine and asked me for the keys, because my truck was locked. i told the supervisor call a judge and get a search warrant. he told me they would go to security and get a slim jim and get into it then instead, unless i gave them the keys. i got on my cell phone and called the sheriffs department and told them my vehicle was being broke into. by the time the supervisor got back with the slim jim and security, the deputy had already arrived. well the supervisor said he was glad the deputy was there, that he was going to unlock my vehicle and search it. the deputy asked if i wanted to press charges, and said only if he attempted to break into my truck. the supervisor was informed that if he attempted to break into my truck he would be charged and arrested and be held over until bail was set. the look on his face was worth a million dollars!
well it started a huge problem and i was even fired for the incedent for about two weeks, to which i filed a lawsuit and won my job back and back pay, plus legal fees. about a year and a half later, i got the supervisor fired for threatening my life and another co-workers.

__________________
Coming From The Village Of The Damned.
Resist All Tyranny And Oppression.
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil, is that good men do nothing." Edmund Burke.
Axxe55 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 05:40 PM   #32
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
kytowboater's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 6,989
Liked 2371 Times on 1481 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Default

Damn axxe way to go.

__________________

Oh dern....


Revelation 19:11

And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse; and he that sat upon him was called Faithful and True, and in righteousness he doth judge and make war.

kytowboater is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 06:43 PM   #33
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Axxe55's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: East Texas, Texas!
Posts: 27,162
Liked 19845 Times on 11269 Posts
Likes Given: 50020

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kytowboater View Post
Damn axxe way to go.
the way my attorney explained it, was that i had a reasonable expectation of privacy as the truck was my personal property and also that a company policy didn't negate my constitutional rights from illegal search and seizure. and also the judge said a privately held company didn't have the right to violate my rights without going through a LE agency and serving a search warrant if they suspected me of illegal activity. i didn't win a lot of money, but it wasn't money but principal. afterwards, i was persona non grata and denied promotions i should have had, but did what i felt was right and stood up for my rights. some of my co-workers treated me like i was royalty and even said they respected my courage to do such a thing. one co-worker, told me aftewards, that i must think i was some badass or something. i told him very bluntly, i that i was way too old for physical altercations, and i let my attorney handle my problems. i learned a long time ago from my father, there were three ways to handle things, the wrong way, the right way and a better way.

i will follow the state of federal law and figure that is my guide to what i can and can't do. no company can't violate the law to do as they please. we have labor laws that protect us. we have safety laws that protect us. so they can't violate constitutional right either. many companies violate laws all the time by passing them off as rules and regulations in an employee handbook. they can ask or expect any thing of you as long as it doesn't violate your rights. most people think because a company writes it down in a handbook that it's the law and they have to follow it or expect they could be fired. that's just not true. the reason is no one challenges them and so it goes on until someone does challenge it. the reason there are laws that protect us is someone stood up and said this isn't right and challenged it.
__________________
Coming From The Village Of The Damned.
Resist All Tyranny And Oppression.
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil, is that good men do nothing." Edmund Burke.

Last edited by Axxe55; 05-12-2012 at 06:51 PM.
Axxe55 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 07:34 PM   #34
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Chandler51's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: somewhere in....,Oklahoma
Posts: 2,185
Liked 62 Times on 51 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by axxe55
i worked for several companies that specifically forbid posession of firearms, even in your vehicle on company property. in Texas the law ruling this illegal states, that unless the vehicle is parked in secure parking lot and has a manned security entrance for the employees, then it is against state law to restrict posession of a firearm inside your personal vehicle. one company was secured parking and had a manned entrance, but my vehicle was locked at all times. from time to time they would go up to vehicles and open them up looking for forbidden items, alcohol, guns, stolen tools from the shop, ect... one time they wanted to look into mine and asked me for the keys, because my truck was locked. i told the supervisor call a judge and get a search warrant. he told me they would go to security and get a slim jim and get into it then instead, unless i gave them the keys. i got on my cell phone and called the sheriffs department and told them my vehicle was being broke into. by the time the supervisor got back with the slim jim and security, the deputy had already arrived. well the supervisor said he was glad the deputy was there, that he was going to unlock my vehicle and search it. the deputy asked if i wanted to press charges, and said only if he attempted to break into my truck. the supervisor was informed that if he attempted to break into my truck he would be charged and arrested and be held over until bail was set. the look on his face was worth a million dollars!
well it started a huge problem and i was even fired for the incedent for about two weeks, to which i filed a lawsuit and won my job back and back pay, plus legal fees. about a year and a half later, i got the supervisor fired for threatening my life and another co-workers.
I cannot tell you how happy this story makes me. It is refreshing when people stand up for themselves, because they are often simultaneously standing up for others.

Nicely done Axxe, NICELY DONE.
__________________
"Life's tough. It's tougher if you're stupid." -- John Wayne
Chandler51 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 08:00 PM   #35
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Axxe55's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: East Texas, Texas!
Posts: 27,162
Liked 19845 Times on 11269 Posts
Likes Given: 50020

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chandler51 View Post
I cannot tell you how happy this story makes me. It is refreshing when people stand up for themselves, because they are often simultaneously standing up for others.

Nicely done Axxe, NICELY DONE.
thing is there was nothing there illegal and they had done this before, many times before. they fired one co-worker when they went into his truck and found three beers (hot) in melted water in a cooler sitting in the floor of his truck. i have always been in the habit of locking my trucks. i wouldn't allow someone to just walk into my home uninvited, why should i not expect the same privacy with my vehicle? i became a sore spot for the supervisors and managers because of this incident, but sometimes even i can get to a point of enough is enough and take a stand. my wife at the time was very upset with me and told me i was stupid for not just allowing them to look in my truck and let it go at that. i asked her why don't we just remove the locks from the doors and let anyone who pleases to just stroll through the house. she said that was different. i said well just leave the keys in your own truck and let whoever wants to do whatever they want. she said it's her truck and she makes the payments on it. i looked at her and just grinned, exactly, it's my truck and my house, not theirs. she finally saw my point!
__________________
Coming From The Village Of The Damned.
Resist All Tyranny And Oppression.
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil, is that good men do nothing." Edmund Burke.
Axxe55 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 08:09 PM   #36
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Chandler51's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: somewhere in....,Oklahoma
Posts: 2,185
Liked 62 Times on 51 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by axxe55

thing is there was nothing there illegal and they had done this before, many times before. they fired one co-worker when they went into his truck and found three beers (hot) in melted water in a cooler sitting in the floor of his truck. i have always been in the habit of locking my trucks. i wouldn't allow someone to just walk into my home uninvited, why should i not expect the same privacy with my vehicle? i became a sore spot for the supervisors and managers because of this incident, but sometimes even i can get to a point of enough is enough and take a stand. my wife at the time was very upset with me and told me i was stupid for not just allowing them to look in my truck and let it go at that. i asked her why don't we just remove the locks from the doors and let anyone who pleases to just stroll through the house. she said that was different. i said well just leave the keys in your own truck and let whoever wants to do whatever they want. she said it's her truck and she makes the payments on it. i looked at her and just grinned, exactly, it's my truck and my house, not theirs. she finally saw my point!
Yep. It's quite "en vogue" currently to be "anti-bully", yet things like this are seldom seen as bullying. That's precisely what it is, however. If the law is on your side, then it's on your side. I only wish that the supervisor had gotten your truck open BEFORE the Deputy's arrival. Then he could've learned a lesson that was not only valuable, but costly as well.
__________________
"Life's tough. It's tougher if you're stupid." -- John Wayne
Chandler51 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 08:13 PM   #37
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Shoobee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Commiefornia USA
Posts: 1,280
Liked 127 Times on 98 Posts
Likes Given: 30

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by axxe55 View Post
i worked for several companies that specifically forbid posession of firearms, even in your vehicle on company property. in Texas the law ruling this illegal states, that unless the vehicle is parked in secure parking lot and has a manned security entrance for the employees, then it is against state law to restrict posession of a firearm inside your personal vehicle. one company was secured parking and had a manned entrance, but my vehicle was locked at all times. from time to time they would go up to vehicles and open them up looking for forbidden items, alcohol, guns, stolen tools from the shop, ect... one time they wanted to look into mine and asked me for the keys, because my truck was locked. i told the supervisor call a judge and get a search warrant. he told me they would go to security and get a slim jim and get into it then instead, unless i gave them the keys. i got on my cell phone and called the sheriffs department and told them my vehicle was being broke into. by the time the supervisor got back with the slim jim and security, the deputy had already arrived. well the supervisor said he was glad the deputy was there, that he was going to unlock my vehicle and search it. the deputy asked if i wanted to press charges, and said only if he attempted to break into my truck. the supervisor was informed that if he attempted to break into my truck he would be charged and arrested and be held over until bail was set. the look on his face was worth a million dollars!
well it started a huge problem and i was even fired for the incedent for about two weeks, to which i filed a lawsuit and won my job back and back pay, plus legal fees. about a year and a half later, i got the supervisor fired for threatening my life and another co-workers.
It sounds like Texas has some pretty good laws. Certainly better than California where I live.

The paranoia about possible crime is driving these kinds of issues and incidents.

Obviously employers have the right to tell you not to bring any weapons into their buildings.

Parking lots are a slightly different story. You should be able to keep your weapons in your car. Everyone from Texas who is in California that I know does this now. Even though a lot of the California hippies don't like it when you have a weapon of some kind in your car.

Spot inspections in the parking lot seems unconstitutional to me.
__________________
Shoobee is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 08:24 PM   #38
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Axxe55's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: East Texas, Texas!
Posts: 27,162
Liked 19845 Times on 11269 Posts
Likes Given: 50020

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chandler51 View Post
Yep. It's quite "en vogue" currently to be "anti-bully", yet things like this are seldom seen as bullying. That's precisely what it is, however. If the law is on your side, then it's on your side. I only wish that the supervisor had gotten your truck open BEFORE the Deputy's arrival. Then he could've learned a lesson that was not only valuable, but costly as well.
it would have been a very bad day for him. i would have not only have had him arrested and charged with breaking and entering, destruction of private property, but sued him for damages. i have access to some very good attorneys. the father of my attorney was my fathers and grandfathers attorney. his father represented my father in a case where a pipeline company cut a right of way for a pipeline across my fathers property without an easement or compensation. they are still paying royalties to my father!

i for one don't care for bullies and view them as cowards. regardless whether it's a company or some thug on a corner taking a smaller guys lunch money.
__________________
Coming From The Village Of The Damned.
Resist All Tyranny And Oppression.
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil, is that good men do nothing." Edmund Burke.
Axxe55 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 10:10 PM   #39
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
kycol's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 1,402
Liked 205 Times on 154 Posts

Default

I too always has a weapon in my truck. And I will always uphold that is my right to do so. However when I get to work that is where is stays, because as the employer and property owner they have the right to not allow me to carry in the building. Same as I have to decide what comes into my home. That is one thing I think everyone needs to understand. My rights end when the infringe on your rights and visa versa. I sometimes open carry and sometimes conceal but if I go into someplace that says no firearms allowed I will leave it in my truck or car. I usually when open carrying will lay in the floorboard if I run into a convenience store even if no sign is posted. I see no reason to stir things up needlessly. But I don't always carry, I have one in truck and close by at home. But I am not scared to be without it, who knows maybe someday I'll pay the price for it. If I do I do, I just can't live my life in fear that's not for me. Most generally if it is strapped on me I'm on my way to shoot it for the fun of it. I also realize that some of you do not live in the most peaceful areas so it may be deferent for you. I am not judging you. It's not that crime does not happen we're I live. We have our murders, shootings, stabbings, robberies like anywhere. But I don't usually go to or put myself into situations or places that would put me at that big of risk. And God forbid I had to, I could kill without a gun.

__________________
kycol is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 10:47 PM   #40
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Axxe55's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: East Texas, Texas!
Posts: 27,162
Liked 19845 Times on 11269 Posts
Likes Given: 50020

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kycol View Post
I too always has a weapon in my truck. And I will always uphold that is my right to do so. However when I get to work that is where is stays, because as the employer and property owner they have the right to not allow me to carry in the building. Same as I have to decide what comes into my home. That is one thing I think everyone needs to understand. My rights end when the infringe on your rights and visa versa. I sometimes open carry and sometimes conceal but if I go into someplace that says no firearms allowed I will leave it in my truck or car. I usually when open carrying will lay in the floorboard if I run into a convenience store even if no sign is posted. I see no reason to stir things up needlessly. But I don't always carry, I have one in truck and close by at home. But I am not scared to be without it, who knows maybe someday I'll pay the price for it. If I do I do, I just can't live my life in fear that's not for me. Most generally if it is strapped on me I'm on my way to shoot it for the fun of it. I also realize that some of you do not live in the most peaceful areas so it may be deferent for you. I am not judging you. It's not that crime does not happen we're I live. We have our murders, shootings, stabbings, robberies like anywhere. But I don't usually go to or put myself into situations or places that would put me at that big of risk. And God forbid I had to, I could kill without a gun.
i agree with the property and rights of the property owner, but feel my vehicle is an extension of my home and property. thanks to Texas having the Castle Law, that is upheld in law now. even if i leave my firearm in the truck, i am usually always close enough to get to it if the need were to arise.
__________________
Coming From The Village Of The Damned.
Resist All Tyranny And Oppression.
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil, is that good men do nothing." Edmund Burke.
Axxe55 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Firearms Forum Replies Last Post
Personal Protection Ranger-6 Legal and Activism 4 03-05-2012 11:31 PM
Personal Protection right winger The Club House 11 09-03-2008 01:42 PM
Winchester SXZ Personal Protection RVG40 Semi-Auto Handguns 0 08-23-2008 06:30 PM
Your Personal Protection BobBarker Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection 16 05-06-2008 10:46 PM