Job or Personal Protection - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > Job or Personal Protection

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-30-2012, 07:44 PM   #11
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 757 Times on 449 Posts
Likes Given: 477

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverado113 View Post
I picked up a part time job at a certain retail store to make some extra cash on the side. After 4 days on the job I'm getting promoted to a manager position which is nice but the problem is the company's firearm policy. Right now the job is part time and I don't need the money but with my full time job being a contract position I can walk in one day and it could be my last so it's nice to have a backup job so to speak. So my dilemma is do a carry or not? If I do and I'm caught I could lose the job. What would you do if you were in the same situation?
It's not like it's essential, as a belt to hold up one's trousers. I have a Nano Vault car safe. That's where I leave mine when entering workplace.

Old 04-30-2012, 08:40 PM   #12

Liked 1489 Times on 901 Posts
Likes Given: 348

I have a similar problem. I live 40 miles from where I work, I drive through one of the worst areas in the State, and I work at a place where it is a felony to carry. The law says I can't have one in my car either.......

I work around that by pooling with my wife and leaving my carry gun in her car. At work I feel naked, but you do what you have to do. I am still armed, just not with a firearm.

"It is better to be too skeptical then too credulous"

Carl Sagan

Old 05-02-2012, 04:50 PM   #13

Liked 164 Times on 116 Posts
Likes Given: 260

Evaluate the situation at work, is it a rough part of town or a mild to semi retirement area. The value of the job as a back up is also a factor, do they have posted signs or not, where in the company policy is the gun ban listed.

Now for the other part, how well does your gun conceal?????? How likely are you to be made? It might be time for a pocket gun or a gun safe in the office. I would think thru all of your options and decide what is right for you. Good luck.

Don't question my right to own a gun and I won't question your stupidity not to.

You give Peace a chance, we will cover you if it doesn't work out.

Old 05-02-2012, 05:28 PM   #14
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 881 Times on 533 Posts
Likes Given: 199

I don't carry even in my car to and from work. Just not worth the risk of the job I love. I actually fear more walking around my nice neighborhood, then in my employers parking lot.

WRT retail, remember, the employer has chosen the risk of not hiring armed guards over the loss cash due to a robbery. It's not your money, it's not even the employers money, it belongs to the insurance company.

Old 05-02-2012, 07:20 PM   #15

Liked 1096 Times on 656 Posts
Likes Given: 55

I always have mine with me or in my car when I'm at work.

Old 05-02-2012, 07:31 PM   #16
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5733 Times on 3359 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Maybe the boss would pitch in on a kevlar vest? If not, keep it concealed and hope you don't need it. IMO

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 05-02-2012, 08:02 PM   #17
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 757 Times on 449 Posts
Likes Given: 477

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainfire View Post
I have a similar problem. I live 40 miles from where I work, I drive through one of the worst areas in the State, and I work at a place where it is a felony to carry. The law says I can't have one in my car either.......

I work around that by pooling with my wife and leaving my carry gun in her car. At work I feel naked, but you do what you have to do. I am still armed, just not with a firearm.

Unless you work for a prison then I suppose you cannot have firearm in car. But nowhere else does the law of Florida state you cannot have a firearm in your car.
From my understanding of law you can have one but must be either in holster concealed, or/and in glove compartment.

Old 05-02-2012, 08:19 PM   #18

Liked 1489 Times on 901 Posts
Likes Given: 348

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanBaccha View Post
Unless you work for a prison then I suppose you cannot have firearm in car. But nowhere else does the law of Florida state you cannot have a firearm in your car.
From my understanding of law you can have one but must be either in holster concealed, or/and in glove compartment.
I work at a University. About the same rules as a prison. There is disagreement about the technical issue of in the car; I don't want to be the test case.

"It is better to be too skeptical then too credulous"

Carl Sagan

Old 05-02-2012, 08:29 PM   #19

Liked 9204 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

I've carried on most jobs I've had, regardless of company policy. But, most jobs I've had my biggest concern had to do with critters, and not the two legged kind. The only civilian job I've had where I wished I actually was armed, was the only one I can think of that I DIDN'T carry (securitas, contracted to cisco systems) I'm not packing right now because I haven't yet picked up a good IWB for my 1911, nor have I gotten a Louisiana permit. My MS is good here, but I'd rather have one issued in the state because I'm currently living here. I DO carry everywhere else though, just not here at the car dealership.

Old 05-02-2012, 08:50 PM   #20

Liked 360 Times on 224 Posts
Likes Given: 167

It actually states in the employee hand book that you can't have a Weapon on the premise to include the parking lot. I'm going to carry a couple times with one of the lenient supervisors on duty and if nothing is said then I'll carry every time I work or at least in the car as some tasks may be a pain to carry out while carrying, like working on a battery.

"Regardless of whether justified of not, you will feel sad about killing another human being. It is better to be sad than to be room temperature." - Joe B Fricks.

Member:
01 FFL, GOFFA, NRA, GOA, IAVA, VFW, ABATE of Iowa D15.