Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > Job or Personal Protection

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-30-2012, 03:23 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 360 Times on 224 Posts
Likes Given: 167

Default Job or Personal Protection

I picked up a part time job at a certain retail store to make some extra cash on the side. After 4 days on the job I'm getting promoted to a manager position which is nice but the problem is the company's firearm policy. Right now the job is part time and I don't need the money but with my full time job being a contract position I can walk in one day and it could be my last so it's nice to have a backup job so to speak. So my dilemma is do a carry or not? If I do and I'm caught I could lose the job. What would you do if you were in the same situation?

"Regardless of whether justified of not, you will feel sad about killing another human being. It is better to be sad than to be room temperature." - Joe B Fricks.

Member:
01 FFL, GOFFA, NRA, GOA, IAVA, VFW, ABATE of Iowa D15.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-30-2012, 03:35 AM   #2
Ain't she sweet?
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6671 Times on 4035 Posts
Likes Given: 7923

I would not carry. Because if you get caught breaking the company rules not only will you lose that job but I wonder if it will impair your ability to get a new job with that kind of history. I don't like to think of ruining my ability to earn an income.

Old 04-30-2012, 03:36 AM   #3

Liked 4424 Times on 2146 Posts
Likes Given: 1312

Most of us are in that situation. Most companies have policies banning weapons in the work place either because some shistor lawyer thinks it will shield the company from liability or because the companies lawyer just copied the manual from the last place he worked.

My philosophy is simple, gun bans not backed up with metal detectors, armed guards, and a secure perimeter, must NOT actually be rules but more like suggestions because no one, especially my employer, could be stupid enough to think that a policy is going to prevent human violence...right?

If you CCW responsibly then no one will be the wiser unless your actually forced to fire, at which point loosing your job will be the least of your conerns.

Tack

Old 04-30-2012, 03:36 AM   #4

Liked 22 Times on 22 Posts

It depends. How good is the job and how rough is the area?
I was in a similar situation a few years ago, i live in PA and was offered a better job in NY, i hated the idea of leaving my gun at home every day but $10,000 more a year and 20 hrs more free time a week is hard to say no to lol.
If the job is good enough i'd suggest investing some time in sharpening the weapon that is your own body, maybe not as good as a .45 but it's still pretty dam good lol

Old 04-30-2012, 03:37 AM   #5

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Jobs come and go you can replace them. Your life is not, but I would check on the legalities of carrying on the job before I did.

Old 04-30-2012, 03:47 AM   #6

Liked 360 Times on 224 Posts
Likes Given: 167

Well we haven't had an armed robbery and the area isn't that bad, but you never know. @ Tack the funny thing is another store had a manger fire and thwart an armed robbery and the company still fired him. I'm not too worried about losing the job since it is not a primary job need, it's more of a way to gain some extra capital for my business. @ zombie I know some MMA but my training days are done due to a back issue which is why I carry.

"Regardless of whether justified of not, you will feel sad about killing another human being. It is better to be sad than to be room temperature." - Joe B Fricks.

Member:
01 FFL, GOFFA, NRA, GOA, IAVA, VFW, ABATE of Iowa D15.

Old 04-30-2012, 03:59 AM   #7

Liked 4424 Times on 2146 Posts
Likes Given: 1312

I hear you Silverado and it sounds like you've made your decision. Funny thing about the CCW is that given the "menacing" laws of most States and the fact that "if" you disclosed your CCW status to the wrong sort of sheeple, and it scared them, you could actually be charged it really makes your CCW not only a license to carry but a license to lie about it as well...So unless I'm asked by a uniformed LEO, the answer is "no, I don't carry a weapon, how about you?"

Tack

Old 04-30-2012, 04:02 AM   #8
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5120 Times on 2666 Posts
Likes Given: 310

Its a personal decision. I dont carry at work because the odds of one of our mentally confused patients grabbing me and the gun getting into their hands is catastrophrically higher than being confronted with a madman on a shooting spree.

Any other job and i wouldnt hesitate to carry regardless of employer policy. Thats my personal choice and in no way am i recomending it to you

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 04-30-2012, 03:26 PM   #9

Liked 18 Times on 17 Posts

Tony you're kinda in the same position as me. My full time job has the same policy. I don't carry during the day but at night, I will. We are in kind of a bad part of town. If i get fired for defending myself, oh well fire me. I'm not losing my or employees life due to my job. Unless I am dying for my country, bet your a$$ I'll be carrying

"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom."
~John F. Kennedy

Old 04-30-2012, 07:40 PM   #10

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I suggest carry the heck with them or ask what will u do if something would happen to me what about my family time I lose from being hurt those types of questions make them rethink the decision