JHP or FMJ - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > JHP or FMJ

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-14-2012, 06:00 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 24 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by treehugger49 View Post
You might want to reconsider for two reasons: (1) see above comment, and (2) the Ruger manual expressly recommends against the use of +P ammunition in the LCP.
Thanks very much for the tip! I'll put it in my Taurus .380 revolver instead and go back to Federal Hydra-Shok in the pocket pistol.

"Valor needs first strength, then a weapon."
-- J. R. R. Tolkien (1892-1973)

"Free men have arms; slaves do not."
-- William Blackstone (1723-1780)

Old 11-14-2012, 07:24 PM   #22
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 42 Times on 36 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnorman18 View Post
Thanks very much for the tip! I'll put it in my Taurus .380 revolver instead and go back to Federal Hydra-Shok in the pocket pistol.
Another tip lots of .380 shooters do to combat the penetration issue is to go with your Hydra-Shok or other hollow point rounds in the summer time, i.e., when light clothing is appropriate.

They then switch over to the FMJ when heavy jackets or layered clothing is necessary in the colder seasons.

Studies have shown a tendency of the hollow point in .380 to clog going through heavy clothing with a resultant lack of adequate penetration, to which I alluded in my previous post.

I carry an LCP myself in the spring and summer when my XD-40 becomes difficult to conceal comfortably during the warmer weather. I do prefer the FMJ.

XD-40 service, XD-9sc, member GeorgiaCarry.Org, National Rifle Association, Gun Owners of America, North American Hunting Club, Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation