Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > JHP or FMJ

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-10-2012, 12:03 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 133 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 43

I live and work in a rural area. I use FMJ all the time. I see no need for a hollow point in my life. A pistol is just something to buy me time get a long gun anyway. To old to run.

"I do not aim with my hand; I aim with my eye. He who aims with his hand has forgotten the face of his father.
I do not shoot with my hand; I shoot with my mind. He who shoots with his hand has forgotten the face of his father.
I do not kill with my gun; I kill with my heart. He who kills with his gun has forgotten the face of his father."

Adopt a pet!! http://www.aspca.org/ Some of the finest pleasure horses come from here: http://www.canterusa.org/

dog2000tj Likes This 
Old 11-10-2012, 11:33 AM   #12

Liked 97 Times on 68 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dionysus03
So the question is which do you load in you CCW?
Honestly I don't even consider it a question. I would never use anything except JHP in my SD gun. It's not a issue of over penetration or liability either. It's that Every bit empirical evidence I have seen says JHP is far superior to FMJ in stopping an assailant.

Alternating JHP and FMJ in one magazine or loading FMJ in backup mags makes no sense to me. FMJ does not stop better, it does not defeat body armor better, it does not really work through barriers better than modern bonded JHP.

I use FMJ for nothing except less expensive practice ammo.

Old 11-10-2012, 10:28 PM   #13

Liked 24 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I carry an LCP and load it with Barnes 80 grain solid copper hollow points -- +P, 1300+ FPS out of a short barrel. If I ever shoot anybody with one I'll post how it did.

"Valor needs first strength, then a weapon."
-- J. R. R. Tolkien (1892-1973)

"Free men have arms; slaves do not."
-- William Blackstone (1723-1780)

dog2000tj Likes This 
Old 11-11-2012, 03:14 AM   #14

Liked 279 Times on 243 Posts

Critical Defense is the bees knees.

Old 11-11-2012, 09:11 PM   #15
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1563 Times on 932 Posts
Likes Given: 778

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dionysus03 View Post
So the question is which do you load in you CCW? Do you have a preference and a reason? I load alternating in my XDM 9mm. First round is FMJ then JHP and so on.
I do this because there are instances of decreases in penetration with JHP. I like the alternating load because it can aid in compensating for this. Although I could be off the mark - comments would help too.
As a side note I have tested this and had no issues with feeding or firing. Just wondering how everybody rolls? Thanks.
Can you 'preplan' a shoot out????
MANY years ago I would carry fmj and jhp alternately in the magazine of my off duty gun (Browning HP), but as I began to test and research terminal ballistic of handgun bullets I found when a jhp strikes anything which can 'fill' the HP it will not expand and thus acts (penetrates) the same as a non-expanding bullet (because that it has became a non-expanding bullet).
To answer your question, use the best ammunition which is sold for self defense, which is not fmj, and hope you never need to use your PPD!!!!

An armed society is not always a polite society, but it is a free and safe society!
Self Defense is an absolute and natural right!
Keep your head down and your powder dry!

dog2000tj Likes This 
Old 11-12-2012, 01:28 AM   #16

Liked 18 Times on 16 Posts

JHP in weapon, FMJ for reloads. If I'm still shooting after 13 rounds, clearly I need more penetration

In god we trust, all others we monitor...

Old 11-12-2012, 09:07 PM   #17

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Neither. 148 gr lead wadcutters in .38 spl work well for me out of a j-frame.

Mike

Old 11-13-2012, 02:58 AM   #18

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWIll
The funny thing is I almost included those in the initial question. But since I only have a Taurus Model 66 in .357 and don't carry it concealed. Though you can't go wrong with the wadcutters lol.

Old 11-13-2012, 01:38 PM   #19
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1563 Times on 932 Posts
Likes Given: 778

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWIll View Post
Years ago it was common practice to load the 148 gr hollow base WC BACKWARDS!
They were a good for environments were over penetration could be a problem, like in crowds. I did witness the autopsy where one was used. It was a center chest hit and it expanded to about the size of a quarter and stopped at the back of the chest just short of the spine. It was fired from a 4 inch S&W and it was loaded to standard velocity, about 800-850 fps.
I loaded (and still do) this bullet and tried it at different velocities up to 1200 fps in a 357 Mag. When you reach about 1000 fps it becomes very unstable and will key hole as close as 5 yds, and would not be accurate past about 15 yds. But it would be devastating to a human target, especially where over penetration could be a problem.

An armed society is not always a polite society, but it is a free and safe society!
Self Defense is an absolute and natural right!
Keep your head down and your powder dry!

Old 11-14-2012, 03:01 PM   #20

Liked 42 Times on 36 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdauben View Post
Honestly I don't even consider it a question. I would never use anything except JHP in my SD gun. It's not a issue of over penetration or liability either. It's that Every bit empirical evidence I have seen says JHP is far superior to FMJ in stopping an assailant........

.....I use FMJ for nothing except less expensive practice ammo.
Actually, it depends on the caliber. In .380, hollow point is known to underpenetrate, and FMJ is a much better choice. The OP was referring to his 9mm, and I would I would agree with you here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnorman18 View Post
I carry an LCP and load it with Barnes 80 grain solid copper hollow points -- +P, 1300+ FPS out of a short barrel. If I ever shoot anybody with one I'll post how it did.
You might want to reconsider for two reasons: (1) see above comment, and (2) the Ruger manual expressly recommends against the use of +P ammunition in the LCP.

XD-40 service, XD-9sc, member GeorgiaCarry.Org, National Rifle Association, Gun Owners of America, North American Hunting Club, Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation