IWB holsters - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > IWB holsters

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-16-2012, 05:28 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I like leather for CCW EDC. I found STONER HOLSTERS (Middletown Ohio, 513-424-3800) at a gun show last year and asked if they do custom holsters. They cut their own leather and Jeff told me he can fit anything I want for any make/model pistol.
One of his stock holsters has a shield on one side to keep the upper from contacting the body. He offered it in left or right hand versions. He offered it in IWB or OWB, which means clip on one side OR the other. He also offers the option of a SS spring to hold the mouth of the holster open for ease of re-holstering.
I told him that I wanted one with belt-clip holders on BOTH sides so I can carry IWB or OWB. I also wanted a shield on BOTH sides so I could carry on the hip with the grip back, or behind my right kidney with the grip forward. I also wanted the spring hold-open. He said he’s never done one like that but was willing to do it.
All those options added up, it cost me $90. I really like it and use it all day every day.
I’m 5’8” and weigh about 150, I easily carry full size 1911’s, a Compact Officer or an EMP and they all fit nicely in that one holster.
Interesting side note is that I carry my 1911 in CONDITION 1 but the outside shield hides the fact that the hammer is cocked so people don't to see that it's ready to rock-and-roll. Also, my shirts pull up a bit and drape over the grip of the gun so many people don't even notice I'm armed.
I would buy another one of these without second thought but I really don't need it since this one is holding up well and I'm not married.

stoner-1p.jpg   stoner-2p.jpg   stoner-3p.jpg   stoner-4p.jpg  

Old 12-17-2012, 10:22 AM   #22

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoGrrr
I like leather for CCW EDC. I found STONER HOLSTERS (Middletown Ohio, 513-424-3800) at a gun show last year and asked if they do custom holsters. They cut their own leather and Jeff told me he can fit anything I want for any make/model pistol.
One of his stock holsters has a shield on one side to keep the upper from contacting the body. He offered it in left or right hand versions. He offered it in IWB or OWB, which means clip on one side OR the other. He also offers the option of a SS spring to hold the mouth of the holster open for ease of re-holstering.
I told him that I wanted one with belt-clip holders on BOTH sides so I can carry IWB or OWB. I also wanted a shield on BOTH sides so I could carry on the hip with the grip back, or behind my right kidney with the grip forward. I also wanted the spring hold-open. He said he’s never done one like that but was willing to do it.
All those options added up, it cost me $90. I really like it and use it all day every day.
I’m 5’8” and weigh about 150, I easily carry full size 1911’s, a Compact Officer or an EMP and they all fit nicely in that one holster.
Interesting side note is that I carry my 1911 in CONDITION 1 but the outside shield hides the fact that the hammer is cocked so people don't to see that it's ready to rock-and-roll. Also, my shirts pull up a bit and drape over the grip of the gun so many people don't even notice I'm armed.
I would buy another one of these without second thought but I really don't need it since this one is holding up well and I'm not married.
Just out of curiosity, did you find this guy at the Lima gun show? I'd like to see these in person and am planning on going to Lima show next month and possibly the Dayton show if I can't find something in Lima.

Old 12-17-2012, 10:51 AM   #23

Liked 388 Times on 252 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I really don't like IWB, but as others have mentioned, it's the best way to carry concealed. I've got Crossbreed, Galco, Old Faithful and Kusiak Leather for my 1911's and M&P's. Lately, it's been the Kusiak. It gives me more options. I can wear it anywhere from appendix to five o'clock, whatever conceals best.

Old 12-17-2012, 12:54 PM   #24

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by girlsluvguns2 View Post
Just out of curiosity, did you find this guy at the Lima gun show? I'd like to see these in person and am planning on going to Lima show next month and possibly the Dayton show if I can't find something in Lima.
GLG
Jeff Stoner and his wife go to the Hara show (I'm not sure if Hara is going to continue having the shows anymore but in the meantime there are shows at a building on the east side of the Dayton Airport now) in Dayton and his worker also goes to the Columbus show when it's at the old Penny's store at Westland Mall. I don't know if they do the Lima show.

I have a friend who had mentioned wanting to get another holster so when we passed Stoner's table and he was talking with the man, during a pause I showed him mine. He told me he remembered cutting that particular piece of leather.
Interestingly, the first one of these made for me did not have the hold-open spring so they made another one. I don't know if they still have that original so if you want one like mine, ask about it.

stonerholsters.com
513-424-3800

Old 12-17-2012, 03:26 PM   #25

Liked 121 Times on 88 Posts

Never thought I'd post pics like this, always thought they looked kinda of goofy, but...it is what it is I guess! it's hard to "look natural" when posing for a self taken picture..

I carry a Beretta 96G Elite II, it's a .40 cal, 11+1 capacity, same size frame as a standard 92/96 series, but with some tricks here and there. the most noticable differences are that the barrel is shorter (it has a match grade finish, recessed into the barrel tip so it doesn't get nicked up) and the slide is thicker and heavier than a standard slide.

I'm using a SideGuardHolster, it's a custom made leather holster. it's a great holster, but I have a feeling the guy makes them in his spare time at night after his day job. lead time on an order was 9 weeks. mine ended up taking about 10 to get to me. It came with spring steel clips, but I since removed those and added plastic clips that allow me to tuck it.

it's a very comfortable rig. I don't notice the size or the weight of it at all. And despite the clumsy looking pictures, it conceals VERY well. I carry it pretty much all the time, and my wife rarely notices, only when she puts her arm around me which isn't all that much in public.

I can carry it with my shirt tucked in or untucked, and it blends in without any signs. My biggest problem with IWB carry, is that I'm 6'4" and have a tall torso. even with XL shirts, they tend to shrink over time and start to act like "belly shirts" I have to go to a 2 or 3 XL to get one that is long enough, but then it looks like I'm wearing a Mu-mu as it hangs off of me. (I'm only 225 lbs, without much of a gut)

I just started carrying in September, and have been learning as I go. I told my wife that for Christmas, I want shirts from the big and tall store so that I can get something that's "medium sized" with extra length so that it fits me normally in the shoulders, yet has the length to not ride up and expose my waist line.