Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > Interesting scenario

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-28-2011, 12:31 PM   #11
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 756 Times on 449 Posts
Likes Given: 477

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kain View Post
The intruder was taken to the local ER and released while the husband was informed that had he shot the intruder he would likely have been charged with murder. No charges were filed, and the intruder stated he would replace the window he broke to gain enterance to the house as well as any other expenses incurred as a result of his actions.
Don't understand policeman's comment. Someone broke into your HOME and had the homeowner in his sudden anxiety reached for his firearm and shot the INTRUDER it would be classified as murder? Huh??

As for myself (only because I know myself) I would have pulled my weapon and forced the intruder to the floor. Then call 911.

Old 06-28-2011, 12:42 PM   #12

Liked 2141 Times on 969 Posts
Likes Given: 2083

Training is good but who pays for it? 2A says I have a natural right to arm myself and the government shall not infringe on that right. So if the government forces us to pay for our own training that is an infringement. It's all well and good if you have the money to do that but some people don't. So if it becomes a money issue we are basically saying if you are poor you don't have the right to defend yourself.

Driving a car is not a right but a privilege. Speaking of that, there is damn little training and the test given by the government to acquire a license is a joke. CCW licensing, like drivers licensing isn't about public safety it's just another way for the government to stick their greedy little lunch hooks into our pockets.

Old 06-28-2011, 12:42 PM   #13

Liked 33 Times on 28 Posts

I would have just picked up my son and beat the guy down with his head as a diamond head. Then called 911.

I don't see how someone defending their home against an unknown intruder could be considered murder.

Better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6.

Quote:
but I am in favor of gun regulation.
What are these regulation you wish to impose?

Old 06-28-2011, 12:45 PM   #14

Liked 2141 Times on 969 Posts
Likes Given: 2083

It's very easy to tell people to run or if the intruder is not armed you shouldn't use a weapon but not all of us are healthy enough for hand to hand combat and not all of us are able to flee. Now what?

Old 06-28-2011, 12:55 PM   #15
+ TRES VERBO DICTUM +
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1599 Times on 832 Posts
Likes Given: 1288

Quote:
Originally Posted by winds-of-change View Post
. . (snip) . . Sometimes you just have to use your head and take responsibility for yourself, your actions and the choices you make.
(Sometimes?)

You, I, and those of us here take responsibility for our actions. I'm not adverse to receiving some protection from those who don't.

Old 06-28-2011, 01:10 PM   #16
+ TRES VERBO DICTUM +
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpttango30 View Post
What are these regulation you wish to impose?
Something requiring proof that one can handle a pistol safely and not shoot themselves or anyone else by accident, probably similar to hunter’s safety. Something that shows you can perceive a real threat from an imagined threat. Don’t police have to train to distinguish between good guys, bad guys & innocent bystanders? You guys think that’s too much to ask?

Old 06-28-2011, 01:16 PM   #17
+ TRES VERBO DICTUM +
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjd3282 View Post
Training is good but who pays for it? 2A says I have a natural right to arm myself and the government shall not infringe on that right. So if the government forces us to pay for our own training that is an infringement. It's all well and good if you have the money to do that but some people don't. So if it becomes a money issue we are basically saying if you are poor you don't have the right to defend yourself.
Yeah, I don't know what to do about that one. Now I gotta get to work or I won't beable to afford anything.

Old 06-28-2011, 03:27 PM   #18
FAA licensed bugsmasher
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1992 Times on 1080 Posts
Likes Given: 716

In aviation, we review case-studies very often. Initial training is constant testing of what-if and what will you do. Continuing Ed (for lack of a better term to call it) is probably 50% case studies. Just as with firearms, it is often a life or death situation you are faced with.

It is an extremely beneficial type of training, and we all should embrace it. I can practice touch and go landings for hours to improve my skills, but it is when an instructor reaches over and pulls all the power and says "your engine just quit. What are you going to do?" that's when your critical thinking skills are challenged and your really learn.

Although that type of training is not mandated, that is the type of training we should be seeking out. The scenario that the OP presented and other similar scenarios are a great way to exercise your critical thinking.

Scott

Quote:
If you're not representing Jesus in a way that makes people want to hang out with you, you're doing it wrong.
Quote:
Those who refuse to participate in politics shall be governed by their inferiors. -Plato
Regent Holdings What you need to know about silver, gold, and the economy.

Join the NRA

Old 06-28-2011, 04:11 PM   #19

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Of course each state is different, but if the home owner could articulate that he felt that he, or his family, was in immediate danger, and that he was protecting himself, and/or his family, I do not see how it could be considered murder. That is just my opinion, and everyone knows what opinions are.

Integrity is doing good even when no-one is looking

Originally posted by Skullcrusher: "I believe the fact that you are LEO speaks for itself. When talking about strong women and guns, you are implied in every statement."

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpttango30 View Post
Glass is proof that women have control over everything in the world.
Quote:
Originally Posted by M14sRock View Post
Glass has now achieved "Goddess Status" in my mind. I'm not worthy.....

Old 06-28-2011, 04:20 PM   #20
+ TRES VERBO DICTUM +
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottA View Post
In aviation, we review case-studies very often. . (snip) . . The scenario that the OP presented and other similar scenarios are a great way to exercise your critical thinking.
I agree. This is what I meant by education & training beyond being taught which end of the gun to point.