Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > interesting occurrence tonight

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-05-2013, 03:13 PM   #71
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3684 Times on 1817 Posts
Likes Given: 1004

Quote:
Originally Posted by apwvsd40ve View Post
agreed! I am working myself towards that now. After this discussion and some thinking on my part. This may be something that I make more common in my life. The only down-side to OC vs. CC here is that OC applies in public...but in an automobile, they rely on DNR laws...which means that without CC license...a handgun must be unloaded and locked in a case. Magazines can be loaded but cannot be with the firearm. makes OC slightly more difficult.
My State has the same conundrum... Of course, I've been a CCW guy for 17 years so I'm covered while OCing in our out of my vehicle.

Should a Cop see me exit my vehicle with my OC firearm, he would have "reasonable suspicion" of a crime and be justified in demanding my ID to see if I possessed a valid CCW... which I do.

Without the CCW, the OC person must remove and unload the sidearm before entering the vehicle to avoid running a fowl of Deputy Barney Fife.

Tack

Old 05-05-2013, 03:16 PM   #72

Liked 636 Times on 428 Posts
Likes Given: 386

Maybe private security?

Old 05-05-2013, 03:18 PM   #73
Supporting Member

Liked 1797 Times on 921 Posts
Likes Given: 971

I agree! If they were LEOs they would have their badges on! It is policy on all departments that I am aware of. If you weapon is showing your badge must be visible also. Wannabes! to me or some self proclaimed bounty hunters for a bonding service. Handcuffs ????????????

The Constitution is not an instrument for the Government to restrain the people. It is an instrument for the people to restrain the Government!
*Patrick Henry

Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom."

-- John F. Kennedy

Old 05-05-2013, 03:19 PM   #74
62 gr Fusion

Liked 190 Times on 127 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tackleberry1

Squawk... I understand but my point is "who cares"... Judging others "legal activity" is the realm of "enlightened liberals" who think they look smart by questioning others "need" to do whatever it is there doing.

Libs use this tool to demonize...

Hunting. "Who needs to kill an animal when we have supermarkets?"
AR's. "Who needs a 30 round magazine?"
Christianity. "Who needs Christ when we have the Kardashians?"

Ect... Ect... Ect...

I think most gun owners consider themselves 2A advocates but advocacy is a learning process and far too often we fall for the same desire to sound smart by questioning need.

Tack
I get you Tack, and it is not about need in my view. I just don't see any reason for a civilian to walk around looking like Barney Fife. One pistol and spare mags I get and wholeheartedly support. I wish more people would OC.

The handcuffs is what gets me. That right there is just attention drawing. Period.

If guns kill people, mine are defective.

Old 05-05-2013, 03:40 PM   #75

Liked 2166 Times on 1283 Posts
Likes Given: 1148

We have touched on a bunch of issues in this thread and it is a very worthwhile conversation.

When it comes to OC v. CC, I like the idea of OC, which I do in the wilds, for ease of access, mainly for bear protection. I have had a few close encounters of the furry kind, including a sow with cubs, and a bear which was unwilling to give way. OC in the populace is a very good idea, as a way to desensitize people. Of course, it must be done with critical thought of your environment and discretion. Here in PA, I'd consider it in smaller, more rural towns but never in Philly or Pittsburgh.

As far as CC is concerned, of course this is my usual method. I feel that if the element of surprise is valued so highly by armed forces and LEOs around the world, I should deploy it as well.

My $.02.

Sent from my (_E=MC² _)

We do not choose our future, we choose our habits and our habits dictate our future. - anonymous

Tackleberry1 Likes This 
Old 05-05-2013, 04:25 PM   #76

Liked 255 Times on 181 Posts
Likes Given: 66

Quote:
I understand the "tactical assumption" of your claim but I seriously doubt any thug would have the balls to engage openly armed victims.
There are examples here of the killers give police no chance because they knew they were armed. (open carrying )And were murders not knowing someone was armed saved his life and cost one of the killers theirs. Giving up the advantage of surprise by letting a possible attacker know you are armed doesn't make sense to me.

Old 05-05-2013, 04:44 PM   #77

Liked 3684 Times on 1817 Posts
Likes Given: 1004

Quote:
Originally Posted by manta View Post
There are examples here of the killers give police no chance because they knew they were armed. (open carrying )And were murders not knowing someone was armed saved his life and cost one of the killers theirs. Giving up the advantage of surprise by letting a possible attacker know you are armed doesn't make sense to me.
The component missing from ^^THIS^^ argument is "motive".

People who attack Uniformed Police are not the people who attack civilians. There is a well established track record of mass shooters retreating and taking there own life when faced with armed confrontation.

Given the IRA struggles in the UK over the decades I'm sure uniformed Cops have been assassinated...

This occasionally happens in the US as well but the "motive" factors are either "political" or "vengeance". These guys rarely have a beef with the populace.

Those who do target civilians for maximum body count and notoriety overwhelmingly choose "gun free zones" and almost exclusively seek to contol there own end by committing suicide at the first sign of resistance.

Should one of these guys pick a crowded Wal Mart over a school and happen to notice armed people in the building... I thing the stats would indicate a high probability of them going somewhere else.

More likely... they would charge in gun blazing and not ever recognize armed patrons until they took return fire.

Is there something to be said for "better safe than sorry?" Sure... But the advantage is constantly overstated without the data to support it.

Tack
Old 05-05-2013, 05:47 PM   #78

Liked 255 Times on 181 Posts
Likes Given: 66

Quote:
People who attack Uniformed Police are not the people who attack civilians. There is a well established track record of mass shooters retreating and taking there own life when faced with armed confrontation.
It is a bit different here but the same people that killed police officers killed more civilians than police. They also have made the mistake in the past of assuming that people have not being armed that saved the person's life. If they knew or thought you were armed then they never give the individual a chance to use it.

Quote:
Should one of these guys pick a crowded Wal Mart over a school and happen to notice armed people in the building... I thing the stats would indicate a high probability of them going somewhere else.
Possibly or they would walk up behind the person they see is armed and shoot them first. Knowing that people are likely to be armed but not knowing who they are could also be a deterrent.

PS. Then being able to carry open or concealed is better than not at all.

Old 05-05-2013, 11:32 PM   #79

Liked 2182 Times on 1251 Posts
Likes Given: 1766

I want to OC occasionally at meets. I think it's

a great way to create positive public relations and

mainstream awareness.

But EDC is much better concealed, IMO.

Just my .02$.