Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > Interesting meeting at Tire Barn

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-26-2013, 02:25 PM   #31
Mommy, who lights the sun?
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1672 Times on 1019 Posts
Likes Given: 1984

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottA View Post
Green font is sarcasm? I must have missed that memo.
There. Fixed that for ya!

Balota
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed." 2nd Amendment to the Constitution of the United States
Practice does NOT make perfect. Practice makes permanent. Only perfect practice makes perfect.

Check out 4th FTF Shoot & Hoot.http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f138/4th-ftf-shotgun-shoot-hoot-vanzant-mo-oct-4-5-2014-a-105142/

Old 08-26-2013, 03:25 PM   #32

Liked 9199 Times on 5056 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Balota, I've noticed too, people don't even notice. Like I mentioned a while back, one lady even said, "oh God, I thought that was a cell phone!" She didn't care. She was just surprised that I'd been talking to her for quite a while and she didn't even know it was a gun.

Most people don't even see it, because of exactly what you said, they avoid contact with other people. They're scared sheep.

Here's an exercise for you (anyone in general), next time you go to the grocery store, make eye contact with add many people as you can. See what you notice about them. You'll notice more about their clothing, their facial features. Believe it or not, you're even more likely to notice what shoes they're wearing if you've made eye contact with them. And another thing you'll notice? How quickly they become uncomfortable and immediately look away. You gain a sense of ownership when you look into someone's eyes, and people these days are scared.

Very often, combat vets recognize other combat vets this very same way. They carry a confidence about them that says, "I ****ing own you, I own this room, I own everything in it, and I own any situation that comes this way." It's an attitude that's immediately known to others with the same mentality. It's in the way you walk, the way you talk, and the overall bearing you have. And once your know the difference, your can easily tell cockiness from confidence. Confident people don't have to prove themselves, because in their minds, they're already proven. Cocky people are the loud and boisterous type, honestly very annoying to be around.

Old 08-26-2013, 07:07 PM   #33
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3721 Times on 2281 Posts
Likes Given: 1224

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottA

Green font is sarcasm? I must have missed that memo.
You haven't been around long enough to notice.

Always have clean socks.

Old 08-26-2013, 07:19 PM   #34
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5269 Times on 2747 Posts
Likes Given: 333

Quote:
Originally Posted by stonesaver View Post
Also on another thought..surely he was carrying with .45 and not the .410 shot shell. Or am I way off on that? Forgot to ask him.
i would hope he had 45colt in there!!! the 410 is pretty damn anemic even coming out of a full size shotgun and nothing i would remotely consider an effective SD loading. its barely good enough for snakes...

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 08-26-2013, 09:45 PM   #35
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2194 Times on 1215 Posts
Likes Given: 280

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip286
Balota, I've noticed too, people don't even notice. Like I mentioned a while back, one lady even said, "oh God, I thought that was a cell phone!" She didn't care. She was just surprised that I'd been talking to her for quite a while and she didn't even know it was a gun.

Most people don't even see it, because of exactly what you said, they avoid contact with other people. They're scared sheep.

Here's an exercise for you (anyone in general), next time you go to the grocery store, make eye contact with add many people as you can. See what you notice about them. You'll notice more about their clothing, their facial features. Believe it or not, you're even more likely to notice what shoes they're wearing if you've made eye contact with them. And another thing you'll notice? How quickly they become uncomfortable and immediately look away. You gain a sense of ownership when you look into someone's eyes, and people these days are scared.

Very often, combat vets recognize other combat vets this very same way. They carry a confidence about them that says, "I ****ing own you, I own this room, I own everything in it, and I own any situation that comes this way." It's an attitude that's immediately known to others with the same mentality. It's in the way you walk, the way you talk, and the overall bearing you have. And once your know the difference, your can easily tell cockiness from confidence. Confident people don't have to prove themselves, because in their minds, they're already proven. Cocky people are the loud and boisterous type, honestly very annoying to be around.
I agree with you that eye contact makes most people uncomfortable. But just because people don't make eye contact or theyre uncomfortable with it when you do doesn't mean they don't notice things. SHEEP dont notice because they are in their own little world.

But take this from a lot of experience. The street wise types are way different.They dodge eye contact because they don't want you to notice them. They try to imitate "sheep" and try to blend in. But they notice how you walk, how you talk, how your hair is cut, what brand clothes you are wearing. And you better believe they notice your weapon. They are constantly sizing people up in comparison to themselves.

And they base a lot of their decisions on those conclusions.

Nobody said anything.....about Glocks until you posted about your bacon dog who needs dentures.

What did somebody forget to engage their safety and shoot the dogs front teeth out? Or are we blaming that on the Glock shooters?

"Gaston, the Doggy dentist's best friend."

Last edited by DeltaF; 08-26-2013 at 09:47 PM.

Old 08-26-2013, 10:01 PM   #36

Liked 9199 Times on 5056 Posts
Likes Given: 74

That's exactly how I act myself. I size everyone up when I see them. I am not a predator though, and I wouldn't normally call myself "street wise" (only because the term makes me think of hardened thugs, although I know that's not the true meaning). For me it's simply, "what are the immediate intentions of this person?" Picking out the best deal in the frozen chicken cooler? Great. Eyeballing that unattended purse in that cart? Think I'll hang out just a second. Look at the hamburger helper right next to it. There's always a need for hamburger helper.

I ran into a fellow open carrier in the gas station just a little bit ago. I asked if anyone had ever given him any grief over it, called the cops, or if anything at all had ever happened. He told me he'd been open carrying for 3 years, and I was the first one to ever even say anything. (Honestly, I noticed the buck knife on his opposite side first)

Old 08-27-2013, 11:15 AM   #37
Mommy, who lights the sun?
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 1672 Times on 1019 Posts
Likes Given: 1984

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaF View Post

I agree with you that eye contact makes most people uncomfortable. But just because people don't make eye contact or theyre uncomfortable with it when you do doesn't mean they don't notice things. SHEEP dont notice because they are in their own little world.

But take this from a lot of experience. The street wise types are way different.They dodge eye contact because they don't want you to notice them. They try to imitate "sheep" and try to blend in. But they notice how you walk, how you talk, how your hair is cut, what brand clothes you are wearing. And you better believe they notice your weapon. They are constantly sizing people up in comparison to themselves.

And they base a lot of their decisions on those conclusions.
Interesting thought. I was thinking mostly of the soccer moms and grannies. But you have a good point.

Balota
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed." 2nd Amendment to the Constitution of the United States
Practice does NOT make perfect. Practice makes permanent. Only perfect practice makes perfect.

Check out 4th FTF Shoot & Hoot.http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f138/4th-ftf-shotgun-shoot-hoot-vanzant-mo-oct-4-5-2014-a-105142/

Old 08-27-2013, 11:34 AM   #38
Big TOW
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5635 Times on 2786 Posts
Likes Given: 5989

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tackleberry1 View Post
Element of Surprise VS Deterent Effect has been debated to death. Personally, I've been a daily CCW guy for 17 years but I don't buy the "tipping your hand" argument against OC.

Simply no data to support the idea that a criminal would murder an OC citizen on site. Far more likely the criminal fails to notice OR does notice and decides to seek a softer target.

Tack
Crooks are by nature Sociopaths, the rules and laws dont apply to them and they are prepared to do whatever they must to survive and not get caught.

Open carry likely is more of a deterrent than CCW out of sight out of mind could ever be. If I was a pistol Packer, my choice would be CCW but open carry probably doesnt make your weapon less effective, just quicker on the draw if need be. The stigma of Open Carry is Manmade fear-mongering theres no statistically significant data to back any of the fear up.

The fact that Sheeple and Republicrats are scared of anyone they see with a gun thats not a LEO is their own stupid insane logic gone awry. The irony there is actual data shows you are more likely to be killed by a cops gun than a non criminal with a weapon (not cop bashing, just facts). Im more scared when I see a Tweenie and their buddies jumping into a car for a joyride myself and that happens ten thousand times a day compared to seeing an armed citizen in public!

Why we generally fear the crap that is least likely to ever happen to us more than the sh!t that does every day is way beyond me.

Last edited by WebleyFosbery38; 08-27-2013 at 11:52 AM.

Old 08-27-2013, 11:37 AM   #39

Liked 348 Times on 232 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by partdeux View Post
here we go again
It does get tiresome, doesn't it?
Old 08-27-2013, 01:19 PM   #40
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1382 Times on 939 Posts
Likes Given: 474

Lots of people don't even notice you have a large gun hanging out of your pocket. I carry a Charter mag pug. The stock is sticking out of my pocket. I wear a shirt that covers my pocket so no one can see the gun. Occasionally my shirt does get pulled up or draped over the gun. No one notices it when the gun is exposed. If someone did try to disarm me they would have to sneak up behind me to get the gun out of my pocket. The mag pug isn't like a wallet that someone can remove without me feeling it. You have to put your hand in my pocket to prevent the hammer from snagging on my pants.

I would say that anyone who tried to grab that guys taurus would encounter the same issues. This is the same stupid argument as the steel clips that some holsters use to clip on a belt. People say they could just pulls the holster off someone. I use those holsters I have to thread my belt through them to get in on but some superman is going to snatch it off me. Yup, he will snatch it off me just as soon as he is strong enough to break a 1 3/4" heavy duty belt.

Nothing in the affairs of men is worthy of great anxiety - Plato