Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > Interesting meeting at Tire Barn

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-26-2013, 02:25 PM   #31
Mommy, who lights the sun?
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Balota's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Glenpool, Oklahoma
Posts: 2,662
Liked 1672 Times on 1019 Posts
Likes Given: 1984

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottA View Post
Green font is sarcasm? I must have missed that memo.
There. Fixed that for ya!
__________________

Balota
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed." 2nd Amendment to the Constitution of the United States
Practice does NOT make perfect. Practice makes permanent. Only perfect practice makes perfect.

Check out 4th FTF Shoot & Hoot.http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f138/4th-ftf-shotgun-shoot-hoot-vanzant-mo-oct-4-5-2014-a-105142/

Balota is online now  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 03:25 PM   #32
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: West, by God, Funroe,Louisiana
Posts: 18,707
Liked 9199 Times on 5056 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Default

Balota, I've noticed too, people don't even notice. Like I mentioned a while back, one lady even said, "oh God, I thought that was a cell phone!" She didn't care. She was just surprised that I'd been talking to her for quite a while and she didn't even know it was a gun.

Most people don't even see it, because of exactly what you said, they avoid contact with other people. They're scared sheep.

Here's an exercise for you (anyone in general), next time you go to the grocery store, make eye contact with add many people as you can. See what you notice about them. You'll notice more about their clothing, their facial features. Believe it or not, you're even more likely to notice what shoes they're wearing if you've made eye contact with them. And another thing you'll notice? How quickly they become uncomfortable and immediately look away. You gain a sense of ownership when you look into someone's eyes, and people these days are scared.

Very often, combat vets recognize other combat vets this very same way. They carry a confidence about them that says, "I ****ing own you, I own this room, I own everything in it, and I own any situation that comes this way." It's an attitude that's immediately known to others with the same mentality. It's in the way you walk, the way you talk, and the overall bearing you have. And once your know the difference, your can easily tell cockiness from confidence. Confident people don't have to prove themselves, because in their minds, they're already proven. Cocky people are the loud and boisterous type, honestly very annoying to be around.

__________________
trip286 is offline  
texaswoodworker Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 07:07 PM   #33
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
JW357's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 6,724
Liked 3721 Times on 2281 Posts
Likes Given: 1224

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottA

Green font is sarcasm? I must have missed that memo.
You haven't been around long enough to notice.
__________________

Always have clean socks.

JW357 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 07:19 PM   #34
Moderator
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
JonM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Rochester WI,Rochester WI
Posts: 17,129
Liked 5269 Times on 2747 Posts
Likes Given: 333

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by stonesaver View Post
Also on another thought..surely he was carrying with .45 and not the .410 shot shell. Or am I way off on that? Forgot to ask him.
i would hope he had 45colt in there!!! the 410 is pretty damn anemic even coming out of a full size shotgun and nothing i would remotely consider an effective SD loading. its barely good enough for snakes...
__________________

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

JonM is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 09:45 PM   #35
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
DeltaF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Deep South USA
Posts: 2,942
Liked 2194 Times on 1215 Posts
Likes Given: 280

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip286
Balota, I've noticed too, people don't even notice. Like I mentioned a while back, one lady even said, "oh God, I thought that was a cell phone!" She didn't care. She was just surprised that I'd been talking to her for quite a while and she didn't even know it was a gun.

Most people don't even see it, because of exactly what you said, they avoid contact with other people. They're scared sheep.

Here's an exercise for you (anyone in general), next time you go to the grocery store, make eye contact with add many people as you can. See what you notice about them. You'll notice more about their clothing, their facial features. Believe it or not, you're even more likely to notice what shoes they're wearing if you've made eye contact with them. And another thing you'll notice? How quickly they become uncomfortable and immediately look away. You gain a sense of ownership when you look into someone's eyes, and people these days are scared.

Very often, combat vets recognize other combat vets this very same way. They carry a confidence about them that says, "I ****ing own you, I own this room, I own everything in it, and I own any situation that comes this way." It's an attitude that's immediately known to others with the same mentality. It's in the way you walk, the way you talk, and the overall bearing you have. And once your know the difference, your can easily tell cockiness from confidence. Confident people don't have to prove themselves, because in their minds, they're already proven. Cocky people are the loud and boisterous type, honestly very annoying to be around.
I agree with you that eye contact makes most people uncomfortable. But just because people don't make eye contact or theyre uncomfortable with it when you do doesn't mean they don't notice things. SHEEP dont notice because they are in their own little world.

But take this from a lot of experience. The street wise types are way different.They dodge eye contact because they don't want you to notice them. They try to imitate "sheep" and try to blend in. But they notice how you walk, how you talk, how your hair is cut, what brand clothes you are wearing. And you better believe they notice your weapon. They are constantly sizing people up in comparison to themselves.

And they base a lot of their decisions on those conclusions.
__________________
Quote:
Nobody on this thread licked anybody's bodypart.

Nobody said anything.....about Glocks until you posted about your bacon dog who needs dentures.

What did somebody forget to engage their safety and shoot the dogs front teeth out? Or are we blaming that on the Glock shooters?

"Gaston, the Doggy dentist's best friend."

Last edited by DeltaF; 08-26-2013 at 09:47 PM.
DeltaF is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 10:01 PM   #36
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: West, by God, Funroe,Louisiana
Posts: 18,707
Liked 9199 Times on 5056 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Default

That's exactly how I act myself. I size everyone up when I see them. I am not a predator though, and I wouldn't normally call myself "street wise" (only because the term makes me think of hardened thugs, although I know that's not the true meaning). For me it's simply, "what are the immediate intentions of this person?" Picking out the best deal in the frozen chicken cooler? Great. Eyeballing that unattended purse in that cart? Think I'll hang out just a second. Look at the hamburger helper right next to it. There's always a need for hamburger helper.

I ran into a fellow open carrier in the gas station just a little bit ago. I asked if anyone had ever given him any grief over it, called the cops, or if anything at all had ever happened. He told me he'd been open carrying for 3 years, and I was the first one to ever even say anything. (Honestly, I noticed the buck knife on his opposite side first)

__________________
trip286 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 11:15 AM   #37
Mommy, who lights the sun?
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Balota's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Glenpool, Oklahoma
Posts: 2,662
Liked 1672 Times on 1019 Posts
Likes Given: 1984

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaF View Post

I agree with you that eye contact makes most people uncomfortable. But just because people don't make eye contact or theyre uncomfortable with it when you do doesn't mean they don't notice things. SHEEP dont notice because they are in their own little world.

But take this from a lot of experience. The street wise types are way different.They dodge eye contact because they don't want you to notice them. They try to imitate "sheep" and try to blend in. But they notice how you walk, how you talk, how your hair is cut, what brand clothes you are wearing. And you better believe they notice your weapon. They are constantly sizing people up in comparison to themselves.

And they base a lot of their decisions on those conclusions.
Interesting thought. I was thinking mostly of the soccer moms and grannies. But you have a good point.
__________________

Balota
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed." 2nd Amendment to the Constitution of the United States
Practice does NOT make perfect. Practice makes permanent. Only perfect practice makes perfect.

Check out 4th FTF Shoot & Hoot.http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f138/4th-ftf-shotgun-shoot-hoot-vanzant-mo-oct-4-5-2014-a-105142/

Balota is online now  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 11:34 AM   #38
Big TOW
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
WebleyFosbery38's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Irish Settlement CNY
Posts: 5,099
Liked 5635 Times on 2786 Posts
Likes Given: 5989

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tackleberry1 View Post
Element of Surprise VS Deterent Effect has been debated to death. Personally, I've been a daily CCW guy for 17 years but I don't buy the "tipping your hand" argument against OC.

Simply no data to support the idea that a criminal would murder an OC citizen on site. Far more likely the criminal fails to notice OR does notice and decides to seek a softer target.

Tack
Crooks are by nature Sociopaths, the rules and laws dont apply to them and they are prepared to do whatever they must to survive and not get caught.

Open carry likely is more of a deterrent than CCW out of sight out of mind could ever be. If I was a pistol Packer, my choice would be CCW but open carry probably doesnt make your weapon less effective, just quicker on the draw if need be. The stigma of Open Carry is Manmade fear-mongering theres no statistically significant data to back any of the fear up.

The fact that Sheeple and Republicrats are scared of anyone they see with a gun thats not a LEO is their own stupid insane logic gone awry. The irony there is actual data shows you are more likely to be killed by a cops gun than a non criminal with a weapon (not cop bashing, just facts). Im more scared when I see a Tweenie and their buddies jumping into a car for a joyride myself and that happens ten thousand times a day compared to seeing an armed citizen in public!

Why we generally fear the crap that is least likely to ever happen to us more than the sh!t that does every day is way beyond me.
__________________

Last edited by WebleyFosbery38; 08-27-2013 at 11:52 AM.
WebleyFosbery38 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 11:37 AM   #39
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Donn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 903
Liked 348 Times on 232 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by partdeux View Post
here we go again
It does get tiresome, doesn't it?
__________________
Never argue with an idiot in public. People passing by won't know which one of you is the idiot.
Donn is online now  
partdeux Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 01:19 PM   #40
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
John_Deer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 4,628
Liked 1382 Times on 939 Posts
Likes Given: 474

Default

Lots of people don't even notice you have a large gun hanging out of your pocket. I carry a Charter mag pug. The stock is sticking out of my pocket. I wear a shirt that covers my pocket so no one can see the gun. Occasionally my shirt does get pulled up or draped over the gun. No one notices it when the gun is exposed. If someone did try to disarm me they would have to sneak up behind me to get the gun out of my pocket. The mag pug isn't like a wallet that someone can remove without me feeling it. You have to put your hand in my pocket to prevent the hammer from snagging on my pants.

I would say that anyone who tried to grab that guys taurus would encounter the same issues. This is the same stupid argument as the steel clips that some holsters use to clip on a belt. People say they could just pulls the holster off someone. I use those holsters I have to thread my belt through them to get in on but some superman is going to snatch it off me. Yup, he will snatch it off me just as soon as he is strong enough to break a 1 3/4" heavy duty belt.

__________________

Nothing in the affairs of men is worthy of great anxiety - Plato

John_Deer is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Firearms Forum Replies Last Post
Why is it I can drive nails with a handgun but could'nt hit a barn with a rifle? sputnik1988 General Rifle Discussion 20 03-14-2012 06:43 PM
DIY barn lumber shop cabinets greenriver DIY Projects 14 12-07-2011 01:31 PM