Interesting meeting at Tire Barn - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > Interesting meeting at Tire Barn

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-25-2013, 02:39 PM   #11
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: -1 reviews

Liked 361 Times on 222 Posts
Likes Given: 645

I carry either way. I usually carry concealed until I'm going into a place the says no weapons allowed. I then open carry just to piss them off. To this day, no one has said a thing to me about it.

Owner/Armorer at Argyle Armoring, LLC - FFL 07
NRA Life Member
What do I know? I'm only a professional.

Old 08-25-2013, 02:47 PM   #12
FAA licensed bugsmasher
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2337 Times on 1258 Posts
Likes Given: 843

Here's another topic that generates just as much heat as telling the Glock-o-philes that Glocks are not perfect.

Scott

Quote:
If you're not representing Jesus in a way that makes people want to hang out with you, you're doing it wrong.
Quote:
Those who refuse to participate in politics shall be governed by their inferiors. -Plato
Join the NRA

Old 08-25-2013, 02:53 PM   #13

Liked 9206 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tackleberry1 View Post
Element of Surprise VS Deterent Effect has been debated to death. Personally, I've been a daily CCW guy for 17 years but I don't buy the "tipping your hand" argument against OC.

Simply no data to support the idea that a criminal would murder an OC citizen on site. Far more likely the criminal fails to notice OR does notice and decides to seek a softer target.

Tack
Thank you. I tire of the debate myself. I believe I bring out the ass hole in people when it comes to this discussion.
Old 08-25-2013, 02:59 PM   #14

Liked 364 Times on 209 Posts

I carry OWB on right hip. I leave my shirts (t-shirts, golf shirts, button downs) untucked. The guys I know that open carry say they do 'because they can' - which is secretly code for 'I welcome confrontation' and 'screw people and their fears' more so than any perceived tactical advantage or deterrent effect. I don't feel the need to start crap, be obstinate, be the subject of points and whispers, to try to alter perceptions, or to shove my rights in people's faces. I don't wear 'shoot me first vests' either. I have the choice in my state to carry open and I never do. To each their own. I like being sneaky.

Old 08-25-2013, 03:24 PM   #15
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 10 Times on 6 Posts

I think this debate is simple, "carry". Open, concealed, one in the chamber or not. Bottom line is if you carry you have a better chance in a confrontation. Some situations open may be better and some concealed may but I say do whatever is comfortable for you and meets the needs of the situation that you are going to be in. The main thing for me is carry as often as is possible.

Old 08-25-2013, 03:32 PM   #16
FAA licensed bugsmasher
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2337 Times on 1258 Posts
Likes Given: 843

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronmanE View Post
I think this debate is simple, "carry". Open, concealed, one in the chamber or not. Bottom line is if you carry you have a better chance in a confrontation. Some situations open may be better and some concealed may but I say do whatever is comfortable for you and meets the needs of the situation that you are going to be in. The main thing for me is carry as often as is possible.
Now you're just being sensible. We must therefore crucify you.

Scott

Quote:
If you're not representing Jesus in a way that makes people want to hang out with you, you're doing it wrong.
Quote:
Those who refuse to participate in politics shall be governed by their inferiors. -Plato
Join the NRA
People Like This 
Old 08-26-2013, 09:51 AM   #17
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 402 Times on 209 Posts
Likes Given: 602

When I started carrying a few years and 50 lbs ago I carried concealed IWB as the law required concealment at the time. Now FF a few years and 50lbs we have an open carry law. I realize I can OC and not have to buy bigger jeans..... yet. Yeah. I bought an OWB holster instead of jeans that fit.
Maybe the guy in the tire barn had the same dilemma and he was still sorting it out.

Hey..... what's the red button do?

Old 08-26-2013, 11:31 AM   #18
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2438 Times on 1338 Posts
Likes Given: 335

Open carry has a deterrent effect. That's common sense. It also presents your gun as a target if you do have a run in with a determined criminal. My recommendation to OCers is to get good weapons retention training and carry in a level 3 retention holster manufactured for law enforcement use. I don't have a problem with people who open carry providing they have the training and equipment to keep their gun from being snatched.

Weapons retention training ought to be part of CCP classes anyway in my opinion.

"...it is ...ALIVE!!!"

Old 08-26-2013, 11:42 AM   #19

Liked 9206 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Oh come on.

Everyone knows that criminals these days are as sharp eyed and have the reflexes of navy seals doing a midnight raid and will put two in your chest and one in your head before you can even blink. (Green sarcasm font needed)

Old 08-26-2013, 11:51 AM   #20
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2438 Times on 1338 Posts
Likes Given: 335

I don't know about ninja navy seal criminals and such. But I do know the majority of line of duty (shooting) deaths of police officers occur with that officers own firearm. We wear the holsters we wear and go through weapons retention training every year for 1 simple reason: when we show up somewhere, we introduce a gun to that environment, and everyone there can see it.

How is this any different for someone without a badge and uniform who walks into a room openly displaying a gun?

I'm not saying I have a problem with it or that its a bad idea. I'm saying if that's your thing get the right holster for the job and get some good training. What's the big deal with that? It seems like common sense to me.

"...it is ...ALIVE!!!"

Last edited by DeltaF; 08-26-2013 at 12:02 PM.
People Like This