Interesting meeting at Tire Barn
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > Interesting meeting at Tire Barn

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-25-2013, 03:24 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default Interesting meeting at Tire Barn

So I go over to my local Tire Barn at Muncie, Indiana last weekend to buy a tire, and walk in and immediately spot a Taurus Judge in the right hand pants pocket of another guy in line. The barrel was in the pocket but the frame was definitely visible. I was carrying concealed. Indiana law doesn't specify open or concealed carry on the license. So I sit down next to the guy and ask him.."is that open carry or concealed carry".. He laughs. We sit and talk about all kinds of stuff. Nice guy. So my take is why show your hand. If I had been the BG I would have immediately spotted who had the firepower. Also on another thought..surely he was carrying with .45 and not the .410 shot shell. Or am I way off on that? Forgot to ask him.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-25-2013, 03:37 AM   #2

Liked 326 Times on 181 Posts

I'd bet he had the .410 shells in it.

Old 08-25-2013, 03:39 AM   #3

Liked 742 Times on 435 Posts
Likes Given: 958

Your right...you give up alot when you open carry. The only time i do that is when im going to or from the shop, just because its convenient (everybody OCs at the shop) or at gun club functions/cookouts /etc.

The Founders DID anticipate that arms technology would advance, that's why the 2nd amendment doesn't say "the right to keep and bear a musket".......

Old 08-25-2013, 03:54 AM   #4

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

You brought up a point that I've never considered; letting the BG know who their threat is. We can carry either way in Wisconsin and I usually conceal, but love a OWB holster for comfort so go that route at times. Generally carry concealed cause I don't like the attention of people around me. This is why I love these forums, love to hear the thoughts of other people.

Old 08-25-2013, 04:31 AM   #5

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

The element of surprise is a powerful advantage. If you can carry concealed, why give away your advantage?

Old 08-25-2013, 04:40 AM   #6

Liked 4784 Times on 2313 Posts
Likes Given: 1473

Element of Surprise VS Deterent Effect has been debated to death. Personally, I've been a daily CCW guy for 17 years but I don't buy the "tipping your hand" argument against OC.

Simply no data to support the idea that a criminal would murder an OC citizen on site. Far more likely the criminal fails to notice OR does notice and decides to seek a softer target.

Tack

People Like This 
Old 08-25-2013, 07:50 AM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3726 Times on 2283 Posts
Likes Given: 1224

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tackleberry1
Simply no data to support the idea that a criminal would murder an OC citizen on site. Far more likely the criminal fails to notice OR does notice and decides to seek a softer target.

Tack
I agree with this. I think most bad guys are too caught up in themselves and their "plan" to notice someone open carrying. I feel like they would notice cops, though. The uniform speaks loudly.

We, as CCWers and OCers notice these things. Bad guys, and the average person, prolly does not. My opinion, of course.

Always have clean socks.

Balota Likes This 
Old 08-25-2013, 11:24 AM   #8

Liked 29 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 13

I could not conceal one of those big handguns unless I was wearing a snowmobile suit

Old 08-25-2013, 11:54 AM   #9
10-32
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2917 Times on 1718 Posts

Kinda off the main topic but WHEN I get my governor (basically a judge) I will load it with 3 shots of .45 (2 lc 1 acp) and 2 shots .410 buck capped off with bird shot. Lol
Love that gun.

I don't need No stinking signature.

Old 08-25-2013, 12:31 PM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 869 Times on 524 Posts
Likes Given: 191

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tackleberry1 View Post
Element of Surprise VS Deterent Effect has been debated to death. Personally, I've been a daily CCW guy for 17 years but I don't buy the "tipping your hand" argument against OC.

Tack
here we go again