input on vacation carry
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > input on vacation carry

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-25-2014, 10:33 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3147 Times on 1875 Posts
Likes Given: 2198

Default input on vacation carry

i am looking at a vacation through various states from texas. i haven't made final decisions on which road trip i will take for sure, but i have narrowed down a few states i might drive through.

they might be: colorado, kansas, lousiana, mississippi, alabama, florida or georgia.

i know all have a reciprocity for texas CHL, but i am not aware of all the ins and outs of the gun laws in each state related to personal or vehicle carry.

does anyone know a good source to get this info accurately and quickly? or is it possible some posters from these states might chime in with anything in particular i need to be aware of?

thanks so much for any info.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-25-2014, 10:47 PM   #2

Liked 2027 Times on 1116 Posts
Likes Given: 1350

I have a ccw for Colorado. You are correct. Your permit is good here. You can carry in your car. No problem. You can also carry anywhere in the state that does not have a metal detector checking for guns or a security guard wanding people. Private property owners have the right to refuse guns on their property. But they are supposed to post a sign. Post offices and federal buildings are off limits, as are schools.

Romans 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.

hawkguy Likes This 
Old 02-25-2014, 11:11 PM   #3

Liked 68 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkguy View Post
i am looking at a vacation through various states from texas. i haven't made final decisions on which road trip i will take for sure, but i have narrowed down a few states i might drive through.

they might be: colorado, kansas, lousiana, mississippi, alabama, florida or georgia.

i know all have a reciprocity for texas CHL, but i am not aware of all the ins and outs of the gun laws in each state related to personal or vehicle carry.

does anyone know a good source to get this info accurately and quickly? or is it possible some posters from these states might chime in with anything in particular i need to be aware of?

thanks so much for any info.
There is an awesome app for this called CCW. Search for it in the App Store for iPhone or Google Play for Android. This app lets you check which permits you have, gives you maps of where you can carry, gives the current laws by state, and will always tell you the laws in your current location. I think its .99 or 1.99. Best app I've ever downloaded.

Mossberg 590A1
Centurian C39 AK pistol
Sig 226
SA xdm 45 compact
H&K USP .40
Sig 938 Extreme
SA 1911 SS Loaded Model
Sig 716 Patrol .308
Ruger Super Redhawk Alaskan .44 mag, 2.5" snubby
H&K VP9

Last edited by DP03; 02-25-2014 at 11:17 PM.
People Like This 
Old 02-26-2014, 01:05 AM   #4

Liked 2117 Times on 1351 Posts
Likes Given: 1217

Look at:
www.handgunlaw.us

Pretty much the concealed carry bible for travellers.

Gone turducken huntin'

People Like This 
Old 02-26-2014, 01:08 AM   #5

thanks guys. unfortunately, i am far too cheap to own a smart phone!

but, i did come across this link for anyone interested. seems pretty thorough, but i have only skimmed. might be a good quick resource though.

http://www.handgunlaw.us/

Old 02-26-2014, 01:08 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatme98 View Post
Look at:
www.handgunlaw.us

Pretty much the concealed carry bible for travellers.
dammit, you musta beat me by a like a second! thanks!

Old 02-26-2014, 01:11 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick1967 View Post
I have a ccw for Colorado. You are correct. Your permit is good here. You can carry in your car. No problem. You can also carry anywhere in the state that does not have a metal detector checking for guns or a security guard wanding people. Private property owners have the right to refuse guns on their property. But they are supposed to post a sign. Post offices and federal buildings are off limits, as are schools.
the signs in texas are very specific (30.06 signs, 51%), what is the signage in colorado like?

Old 02-26-2014, 02:39 AM   #8

Liked 109 Times on 90 Posts
Likes Given: 219

Quote:
Originally Posted by DP03 View Post
There is an awesome app for this called CCW. Search for it in the App Store for iPhone or Google Play for Android. This app lets you check which permits you have, gives you maps of where you can carry, gives the current laws by state, and will always tell you the laws in your current location. I think its .99 or 1.99. Best app I've ever downloaded.
you beat me to it, it is a pretty good app, I do recommend it. always validate tbe accuracy by checking with specific jurisdictions, most are available online.

sent from mobile app

Old 02-26-2014, 03:36 AM   #9
McCool@email.com
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7801 Times on 4228 Posts
Likes Given: 16491

Quote:
Originally Posted by DP03 View Post
There is an awesome app for this called CCW.
I use legal heat. Cost a dollar or so. Worth it.

No offense and none taken (̿▀̿ ̿Ĺ̯̿̿▀̿ ̿)̄

Old 02-26-2014, 03:53 AM   #10

Liked 2027 Times on 1116 Posts
Likes Given: 1350

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkguy View Post
the signs in texas are very specific (30.06 signs, 51%), what is the signage in colorado like?
Colorado does not have actual requirements for certain types of signs. But the signs don't carry the weight of law anyway. If you ignore them they can tell you to leave. If you leave without making an argument there is not much they can do. If you argue, then it becomes trespassing.

Romans 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.

hawkguy Likes This