Info needed on AMT Backup II .380
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > Info needed on AMT Backup II .380

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-12-2012, 01:41 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 290 Times on 251 Posts

Saw it, used, at a local broker and like the design, although the finish looks like pot metal, hoping I can brush that out myself if I get it.

The shop keeper said they were a hit and miss item and because the company is no longer, the only warranty would be the stores 60 day. The things that pop up on a google search, however, lead me to believe that there were more with issue than without. He also said this one was the SAO version.

Of course it's always the bad eggs that get the most forum publicity. Still, just curious if anyone can give me more insight.

Sounds like the first run were the most problematic because of safety concerns amd jamming. I'm hoping that the second edition got it right. Any owner experience out there?

Last edited by BeyondTheBox; 01-12-2012 at 04:02 AM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-12-2012, 03:18 AM   #2
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2570 Times on 1256 Posts
Likes Given: 1289

The first thing I would ask is what are they asking for it. There are a lot of good small pistols out there today. AMTs were ok but never was too impressed with their machining. I had an AMT Hardballer 45 ACP one time. They had some great ideas but something never seemed just right!

The Constitution is not an instrument for the Government to restrain the people. It is an instrument for the people to restrain the Government!
*Patrick Henry

Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom."

-- John F. Kennedy

Old 01-12-2012, 03:30 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper03
The first thing I would ask is what are they asking for it. There are a lot of good small pistols out there today. AMTs were ok but never was too impressed with their machining. I had an AMT Hardballer 45 ACP one time. They had some great ideas but something never seemed just right!

300, figured I'd haggle down to about 250.

What I really wamt is a Sig P238 HD, but new it'd be 600. I want something for now that will tide me over until I get the available funds.

I was originally looking at a Jimenez Arms 380. Sharp lookin piece and I've shot their 22 and loved it. So I'm going to do something, whether it be the AMT or Jimenez. The AMT looks more like the P238 and Colt Mustang, which is why I'm interested, but I want to get as much info as I can before I purchase. That includes experienced users' thoughts.

Old 01-12-2012, 12:44 PM   #4

Liked 723 Times on 466 Posts
Likes Given: 232

For $250 you can buy a used Ruger LCP, a pistol that functions. The Backup"s are a very poor choice. Few are fully functional. A friend bought one (against my advise) and he has never emptied the magazine without a jam.

Just walking on the edge of of my grave.

Old 01-12-2012, 12:51 PM   #5

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I would steer clear of it. AMT is known to be a Jam-O-Matic. Get a Ruger LCP first. For 300 you can get a new LCP.

“There are hundreds of millions of gun owners in this country, and not one of them will have an accident today. The only misuse of guns comes in environments where there are drugs, alcohol, bad parents, and undisciplined children. Period.” Ted Nugent

Last edited by 007BondJamesBond007; 01-12-2012 at 12:53 PM.

Old 01-12-2012, 03:37 PM   #6

I already have a LCP. I want something similar but with a silver slide to accompany it.

Old 01-12-2012, 03:50 PM   #7

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeyondTheBox View Post
I already have a LCP. I want something similar but with a silver slide to accompany it.
I still would stay clear of the AMT.

“There are hundreds of millions of gun owners in this country, and not one of them will have an accident today. The only misuse of guns comes in environments where there are drugs, alcohol, bad parents, and undisciplined children. Period.” Ted Nugent

Old 01-12-2012, 04:30 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by 007BondJamesBond007

I still would stay clear of the AMT.
Yeah, that sounds like the popular vote.

Old 01-12-2012, 05:36 PM   #9

I bought one new maybe 20 years ago, (orig. AMT Backup) As already said, parts of the frame & slide were sharp enough to shave with.

Never could get off more than 3 or 4 rds without a jam. I kept it around a year then traded it for a Colt Mustang.

If you want something similar to the LCP but with a silver slide, I see a lot of these a local gunshows -- Ruger® LCP® Centerfire Pistol Models -- wouldn't mind having one myself. Its a lot flashier than my plain-jane LCP!!

"The older I get, The better I was"

Last edited by kenhesr; 01-12-2012 at 05:46 PM. Reason: spelig erer

Old 01-12-2012, 06:13 PM   #10
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2771 Times on 1449 Posts
Likes Given: 242

Does it have the grip safety or is it the DAO version? I had a DAO and had zero problems with it. Sold it because I was no longer allowed to carry it for a back up on duty.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball